Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Continuous bites with NO evidence signs

(2 posts)
  1. Mandi

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Oct 25 2012 12:34:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Please help! I have been going crazy. For a little over a month now, I have had bites and bumps all over my body. I get about 4 new ones a day, and in spots all over my body. Sometimes they are clustered together and sometimes they are random and single. They also look different each time, some are extremely small, others large and misshaped. I am convinced I have bed bugs but I have not seen a single bug, nor ANY evidence. My question is, if this has been going on for at least 4 weeks, when would I likely begin to see fecal stains, blood stains or case sheddings. From reading other posts, I realize I may never see an actual bed buy, but when should I begin to see the other signs of evidence. I have even had an exterminator out to check my apartment and he found no bugs or evidence of bugs. How quickly do they reproduce? Would I have seen any sort of sign by now? I am wondering if I need to reconsider my bed bug theory, or if I just need to keep waiting and examining. Please help! I am going crazy with the itching and lack of sleep!

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Oct 25 2012 15:20:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear mandi (& others who suspect bed bugs without seeing evidence),

We need to stick with the known science/facts/biology/behavior regarding bed bugs and then plug in some logic as follows:

1. Bed bugs feed "occasionally". The most recent information indicates that bed bugs may feed about once each three to ten days. Note that prior to this I'd have said about once each seven to ten days. In any case, your mileage may vary !

2. After feeding bed bugs defocate and, as such, MUST create fecal stains. My individual feeding and observation work indicates that bed bugs that have fed to engorgement create about one fecal stain per day. As such, we might assume that well fed bed bugs leave one fecal stain per day such that after four weeks we'd have about 28 fecal stains per bug.

3. After feeding bed bugs molt to the next nymphal instar stage of development. There are five such stages until adulthood. As such, there will be the presence of shed skins.

4. If adults are present, both male & female, we'd expect them to be mating and, as a result, the females laying eggs. If so, such females ma leave from 2 to about 18 eggs per day. Again, your individual mileage may vary.

5. Along the way, some bed bugs may die. : ( Boo-hoo-hoo.
    OK, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.
    There I'm over it now.
    So, if some of your bed bugs die, then there will be bed bug carcasses present.

In summary, you now have the five telltale signs of bed bugs to find at your place assuming of course that there are, in fact, bed bugs present and these are: Fecal Stains, Shed Skins, Eggs, Live Bed Bugs and Carcasses.

Note that as time passes there will be inherently more and more bed bug evidence to find.

In fact, if enough time passes, you will have the level of bed bug evidence that even Stevie Wonder can find ! (No offense intended to the talented & great Mr. Wonder ! ! ! )

So, there are only two possibilities here:

1. You do have bed bugs but have been unable to find them.

or

2. You do not have bed bugs.

Strictly logically speaking, if after all this time (four weeks +) and you haven't found any physical evidence of bed bugs, you either are not looking in the correct places, don't know what the heck you're looking for or you don't have bed bugs.

Without knowing any additional details, I suggest you keep looking but let's make sure you know what you're looking for, how to look and where to look.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,802 posts in 49,808 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991