Continuing Story of (possible) bat bugs

(10 posts)
  1. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 7:36:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I started a new thread because the other one was dreadfully long. However, for those interested in reading the entire thing, it's here: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/found-on-couchhelp-iding

To make a long story short, I have found bugs that Ehrlich says are bat bugs, users here thought were possible bat or swallow bugs, and that Lou said didn't look like the common bed bug. He hadn't looked at them closely at that point, and I still haven't heard back.

I last posted about finding these bugs nearly 2 weeks ago. The last time they were alive, near a crack on the baseboard. I caulked in the area and put down DE, finally finishing the perimeter of my room. I never saw more bugs near that area. I never found any dead near the DE either.

The birds I mentioned in the original post are gone. I found out from the neighbor downstairs last week that she had stopped feeding the birds because another neighbor's cat had taken to getting easy meals. Normally I'd condone that, but not in this case.

I had seen nothing since until this morning. I woke up and saw something at the end of my bed. It looked like cat food, so I went to brush it off. Upon closer inspection, it was a dead bug. Perfectly dead too. Not smushed, just legs curled up. It hadn't eaten anything either. It didn't smush easily between my fingers. There is a ceiling fan above my bed (right above the spot where the bug was found) and there are tiny cracks between it and the ceiling. There's also a chance it could become caught in one of the cats' fur and fallen off. I know it cannot climb up the bed because it'd have to go through the climb-ups, which I know are doing their job because I found another carpet beetle larvae in one.

Regardless of how it got there, it shouldn't have died so easily, correct? I know bed bugs can fall from the ceiling so they clearly can survive a fall. It's as though this one died because it hadn't eaten. It didn't appear to have DE on it, but in that case it would have had to cross the area between where the carpet meets the baseboard, climb up the wall, and to the ceiling fan.

It has now been 1 month, 8 days since I found the first bug. There are still no signs on the bed, no bites on me, and no live bugs for nearly 2 weeks. I haven't seen an increase in bugs, just what seems to be the odd couple every week and a half, two weeks. Advice or comments are welcome.

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 10:31:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert, but wanted to wish you good luck and hope LouBugs is able to get back to you soon!

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 19:03:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, theyareoutthere. I keep hoping these really are bat bugs because otherwise they're the strangest bed bugs I've heard of. I guess the only good thing is that this one was dead when found.

4. Louise

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 9 2012 11:14:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the update, nodame. I'm sorry to hear you are finding bugs, but I'm glad that they don't appear to be increasing in number or biting you.

I understand (entirely!) what you're going through as you wait to see what (if anything) develops.

Although in our case, they were at our cabin, so we were only there on weekends during the summer season for the most part. That said, one would think they would have been *really* hungry...but no one was ever bit (at least as far as we know...no one *reacted* to bites, at any rate), and no further evidence has ever been discovered.

Please do keep us posted, even if nothing further develops (you know, for posterity's sake).

Louise

5. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 12 2012 16:48:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Louise.

Yes, the bugs seem to be decreasing. I inspect the bed and the baseboard areas where they've been found before, but have found nothing still. Yesterday marked 2 weeks since any live bugs had been seen. I would like to think that by this point I should have started seeing an increase in the bugs. The bugs (whenever found) always looked the same. Even the time I found the ones half the size of the ones I was used to seeing, they still looked exactly like their larger counter parts and were not clear in color.

6. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 24 2012 21:41:41
    #

Login to Send PM

It's been 2 weeks since my last update. I figured I'd update the thread because I'm heading out of town Thursday for nearly 2 weeks. Of course, now I know that I need to inspect my hotel room when I get there which kinda makes me nervous because I never considered it at all in the past. At least I have the packtite to come home to.

It's now been almost a month since any live bugs were last seen. It's been slightly over 2 weeks since the dead bug was found. I continue to inspect the usual areas and my bed, and find nothing. Nothing is in the climbups either. I still have no bites of any kind. I've never heard back from Lou so I don't know what he found them to be.

I'm starting to think that the birds brought these bugs. The birds have been gone for maybe 3 weeks now. Maybe it's not true, but it is odd that they appeared shortly after the birds built nests, and after the birds were no longer fed here and left, the bugs disappeared too. This was the first year the birds were fed and nested here like they did (looking out the window in the mornings was madness).

Any new ideas or comments?

7. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 27 2012 12:49:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm here to give some kind of update. It's been since about July 8th or 12th since any sign was last found. This past Saturday I woke up to a bite of some kind on my hip. Then today I noticed when I woke up I had a bite on the bottom of my right elbow. Once I got to work, I later noticed a bite on the inside of my left arm and one on my right ring finger.

I have not found any signs of bugs since that day. The bugs back then were said to be bat bugs, but I never heard anything from Lou to see what he said. After this Saturday I began inspecting the bed again, and found nothing, and nothing in the climbups either. The only thing this month that has changed was that I have been staying at someone's apartment that they recently moved into.

I know bites are not definitive of anything, but could this be a possibility after no signs having ever been found? The only signs I ever found were a few bugs that were either dead or alive, about a handful. No cast skins, no fecal stains, nothing. I still see none of that and both boxspring and mattress are encased as well.

Should I consider the possibility of bugs? Or something else at this point?

8. Nodame

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat May 25 2013 14:56:48
    #

Login to Send PM

It's been 10 months since my last update.

I thought everything was fine...until today. Today I was cleaning the living room area and I saw a bug that looked just like what I had last summer sitting on the loveseat sofa. I panicked and flushed him, but then searched the area. I found nothing else, except a dead one in a spider's web in the corner by the loveseat, but who knows how long that's been there since I don't clean up the spider webs. Probably since last summer. It was all thin and such.

Since the last time, I'd never seen anything out of the usual. No bites, no bugs, nothing. I've never found babies or casings or fecal stains either. The only thing I found on the loveseat today was carpet beetle casings. In that time I've had a girlfriend, ex now, and she's never had any reactions or bites. No one uses the loveseat either, not even the cats, except on rare occasions.

I don't know what to do at this point. It's been quite some time so I would think if it was from the same crew as before, they would have expanded and I would have seen a lot more by now. Last time they were suspected bat bugs... would this be the time of year they return? Since this was the time last year when I found them too.

9. Louise

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon May 27 2013 15:16:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure what to tell you. I've never found another bat bug after my first (and frantic) week of searching for them and sealing the inside room as best as we were able then, and excluding the bats from the outside the following fall. We never experienced any bites (as far as we can tell) either.

And that was four years ago now.

I will admit, though, that I no longer obsessively search for them and haven't done so for the last couple of seasons.

You could possibly try some passive monitors, but honestly, bat bugs (assuming that's what you found most recently) don't seem to hang out in the same places as the common bed bug, so I'm not sure that would be all that helpful.

Keep an eye out, at any rate, for signs of any others, and perhaps scan (a dead) one or take a close-up picture for ID here.

And keep us posted on future developments - or non-developments, as the case may be.

Here's hoping that you found a lone bat bug that will bring you no grief.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon May 27 2013 21:15:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought everything was fine...until today. Today I was cleaning the living room area and I saw a bug that looked just like what I had last summer sitting on the loveseat sofa. I panicked and flushed him, but then searched the area. I found nothing else, except a dead one in a spider's web in the corner by the loveseat, but who knows how long that's been there since I don't clean up the spider webs. Probably since last summer. It was all thin and such.

There are some common bugs which look like bed bugs even to those who know what bed bugs look like. For example, this female odd beetle was misidentified as a bed bug, by a pest management professional, no less.

(original here)

The one in the spider's web could be from last year, no?

So was the other one alive? If not, I would assume it was old.

My understanding is that bat bugs don't usually come back. You generally get them if bats are nesting on or in (or very close to) your home, and leave, at which point the bugs need a new host. If you don't have bats nesting, and abandoning the nest again, it should not be an issue.

Anyway, I would work on getting an ID if possible, but don't panic.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,404 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams