Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

continued uncertainty is not good for mental health.

(12 posts)
  1. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 16:14:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess I just need to vent.

Still don't know.

I have fits of things that may be bites. And then, they will stop. And then come back. And then stop. You'd think if I really had BBs, they wouldn't do that. I mean - I first came to bedbugger in June, and I highly doubt, if I have them, that I've had them that long, because I'd be getting bites every night, many. And what I'm finding now doesn't really itch, it's almost like red pimples surrounded by a little pink. For all I know, I've been getting them forever and not noticing because I wasn't hyper BB aware. Right now, I'm not sure if I have BBs, have picked up BBs, or have a neurosis telling me I have BBs. It would make me feel so much better to just have someone freakin tell me I do or don't have them by inspecting, but that's not my decision.

ARGH. I guess, I just needed to vent.

2. kannon_bosatsu

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 18:29:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know your history on the boards, but have you tried some active monitors to see if you can draw them out? I know they are a bit pricey but it could give you peace of mind.

3. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 18:34:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I think the monitors need you to not sleep in the room in question to work best, don't they? I have thought about them but given the price and that fact, I'm wary. But it's a good suggestion.

4. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 18:34:33
    #

Login to Send PM

mcs...maybe it's fleas? i have some fleas and i caught one last night by putting a white plastic bowl with some soapy water in it under a night light in my bedroom....this morning i saw one in the bowl..well i think it's a flea...maybe i'll send it to LouBuggs...i can't photograph it but it seems to have some long legs but also looks young..i would never have seen it with my bare eyes.

and the flea bites seem like what you are describing although mine itch. but they don't look anything like bb skin reaction. Did you do any research on fleas?

5. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 18:37:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Deedle,

We DO have fleas, and they have bitten me recently, but their bites traditionally don't look quite like this, they are a round BRIGHT red circle that then disappears.

I can't help but think I'm neurotic. I might schedule an appt with my PCP and show her what's showing up, to see if it's maybe an identifiable rash or skin thing.

6. kannon_bosatsu

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 18:37:58
    #

Login to Send PM

There's two kinds of active monitors as far as I can tell. One of them is a CO2 based emitter and for that one you shouldn't sleep in the room. The second one is heat-based and the video states you can sleep in the room with it.

7. SearchandDestroy

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 18:39:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, this is the hardest part...I bought some active monitors, yes expensive but seem worth it to me.

8. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 18:40:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I just realized I am going away in 2 weeks (planning to do a slash and burn type thing - literally - buy cheap new clothes and a new duffel and bring only those things away) so maybe I will order some to put up then.

9. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 19:07:03
    #

Login to Send PM

MCSMCS

Consider dropping a BB Beacon in place next to or under your bed before you leave... That will be an ideal time to use an active monitor in your bedroom or area of interest.

Adding BB Alert Passives and Climb Up Interceptors should help give you the certainty that you are seeking if you are able to collect evidence of live activity... or some level of reassurance, if you do not find any evidence in the monitors.

10. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 19:12:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah - that's what I was going to suggest - maybe some passive monitors right by your bed - I think you are supposed to be in the room for those.......

I have some on order so haven't been able to try yet...........

11. Jenn28

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 22:22:53
    #

Login to Send PM

mcsmcs,

Yes, red pimples surrounded by pink that don't itch. That's what I get a few of here and there. Like you, maybe I always did but didn't notice because I wasn't bb aware. My uncertainty is still with me. I wish for a monitoring system or climb ups, but my husband would have the fit of all fits if I even suggested it. I really just want to get to the point where bed bugs are not on my mind at some point in the day. It's part of the reason why I'm still on this site so much. I can't forget. Not right now anyway.

12. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 4 2010 6:20:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm planning to order a BB Beacon for the week I'm gone. Maybe then we can end this stupidity. I also finally, due to "use the macro setting" advice, got a picture of one of the bugs I found. Hopefully Lou can ID it. I already know I have carpet beetles and their larvae.....

Jenn, sorry you're in this boat. I sort of have the same problem - I'm living with my parents to save some money up, and their main response is "let's buy some bed bug spray and spray", but I'm petrified to scatter them so I'm on a watch and wait thing. Of course, I crammed an apartment into a room (and a shed) so I'm pretty cluttered. If I do have BBs I seriously may pack it all up tight and place it in storage for a year.

Thanks for the support and ideas, all.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,187 posts in 50,134 topics over 155 months by 21,917 of 22,411 members. Latest: ij430jf, patbb, Peachyy92