(4 posts)
  1. movingout

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jun 7 2017 9:20:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone.
    I've been pretty much obsessed with this forum, trying to find instances that are closely related to mine. Any advice or wisdom is greatly appreciated, it also will be nice to vent.

I live in an apartment complex. It could have been up to five months ago, I woke up with welts. I mentioned them to my boyfriend and he said they were probably either mutant-winter mosquito bites or spider bites and not to worry, because he didn't have any. Next I started noticing mattresses and furniture in the dumpster. I googled bed bugs and came to this site. I did a light investigation but looking back, I know we were in denial.

The blissful ignorance/denial stopped at a screeching halt last week. I was on my phone and in bed and saw a bug on my pillow. I told my boyfriend and he crushed it, so we weren't able to identify it. I told him it had to be bed bugs. We slept on the couch that night (rookie mistake, I know) and the next day we started our investigation.

We found all the telltale signs of bed bugs. The black spots in the crease of the mattress, the dried blood on the sheets and even 2 alive, adult bed bugs which my boyfriend got and put in a plastic bag. We pulled up an image of a bedbug, looked at them side by side in detail and it was confirmed.

Our preliminary remedy after calling the landlord (straight to voicemail, impossible to get a hold of) or even searching online was a trip to home depot and the laundromat. We bought some bedbug spray for like $5 and washed our sheets. We used basically a whole bottle and for the first 2 or 3 nights, we slept on the couch.

Since then, I've frequented this forum and plenty of others and was able to talk to an exterminator over the phone (my sister's neighbor). Our plan of action has been decluttering. We don't have a washer and dryer at our apartment, so we have 2 huge hampers full of clothes and it's usually a mess. I got all of the clothes clutter out, washed hot and dried on high (ruining some of my favorite things, sigh.) Then discarded the bags I brought them in, put them into new trash bags and I'm storing them in my car. We did this for the curtains and tapestry we had. Decluttered the closet in our bedroom as well.

I saw what I can only describe as the motherboard behind our headboard. It took me a minute to see and I was horrified. There were dozens of bedbug eggs all along the back of my headboard. We vacuumed them, sprayed it down with rubbing alcohol (discarded the contents of my bagless vacuum and cleaned the base with boiling water and soap) After that, we have been spraying everything in all rooms with rubbing alcohol, vacuuming, cleaning, decluttering and just waiting for the exterminator who I'm not sure will ever come.
    Was that a good sign or bad that I found the eggs?

Since then, I have seen one adult bedbug in the bedroom on the wall, near the ceiling and killed it. Or put it in a plastic bag of our "collection" to prove to the landlord. I can't remember.

Here comes my biggest concern that keeps me up at night.

I'M BUYING A HOUSE and my date of settlement is July 13th.

Not to mention how paranoid I am that I unknowingly brought bedbugs to someone's house. I have family out of town so there has been a few times I've stayed at relatives' house. But I don't know what to do about the house. My couches are only 6 months old and my bedroom furniture is not even paid off and really nice. I really cannot afford a fumigation truck right now, every dollar I have is going towards the closing costs of my house.

If it comes down to it, I know I will have to get one. I was looking into buying a steam cleaner, but I don't know where I would even treat the couch before I move. Is it even possible we can get rid of these bedbugs if my apartment is infested? Maybe caulking the cracks in the walls and keeping up with spraying/vacuuming, de-cluttering and essentially clearing out the house to move?
    I don't know if it's denial, but something in me thinks I don't have a large infestation. I haven't gotten bit and I haven't seen any bed bugs on my glue traps or while inspecting and cleaning the living room and bedroom.

Any advice or wisdom on the situation is so much appreciated. The stress of getting a mortgage and moving is on a completely different level realizing my current home has an infestation. It's supposed to be an exciting time buying my first house but I have never felt so overwhelmed in my entire life because of this.

I'm in the Philadelphia area. Even any moving truck fumigation company referrals would be appreciated. ANYTHING really.

2. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jun 7 2017 10:58:27
    #

Login to Send PM

What I would do 1) Get whatever treatment (probably spray) that your landlord is willing to give you 2) If PCO doesn't use Cimexa, research well and use it yourself to supplement spray 3) When you move fumigate your van with Vikane gas, and be very careful about how you leave the apartment (clean clothes from bags, any stuff with you has to be run in dryer or decontaminated). The third step is very expensive, but will avoid dealing with this in the new house. It will probably pay off in the long run. I would beg or borrow to make this happen.

There's a chance you did spread. You have to tell people who were over or you were over their house the signs to look for, maybe refer to this website. It sucks, but it's real life now. But as a note of optimism, my mom had them undiagnosed for a few months and has close contact with her kids and didn't spread them to anyone. I hope that's what happens for you. Good luck!

3. movingout

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jun 7 2017 11:35:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for reading and your advice. Much appreciated!

4. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jun 7 2017 13:36:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope that gives you an idea of how to proceed, then you can google other threads about moving safely, etc. It's hard to remember all the important details for each new person. Again, good luck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,305 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto