Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Confusing BB situation, and with a little baby!

(3 posts)
  1. mishalala

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 1 2011 14:25:18
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband and I had a bedbug infestation in the apartment we just moved out of. We started to notice it about a year ago. We got climb-up interceptors, found some bedbugs, and had a steam, packtite, and laundry marathon treatment before the landlord's exterminator came.

It was awful, and then I got bitten again. We never found another bug, got rid of the offending couch, and I hadn't been bitten in ten months.

Still, we knew the bugs were in the building (other tenants told us) and it was only a matter of time before they came back. Also, we had a baby on the way, so wanted to get out.

Fast forward ten months. We have a baby, and we FINALLY moved into the new apartment we just bought. It is lovely, we are thrilled, but 6 days after our move I have bites again. We put the remaining climb-up interceptors under the bed and inspected the mattress, but found nothing. We ordered encasements and they are on the way, but the bugs (if that is what they are) could easily have gotten into the baby's co-sleeper.

My question is, should I wait to get the encasements and see if there are any more bites on me or baby (the baby HAS NOT been bitten yet, as far as I can tell) before I call our management company and get a PCO in for inspection and treatment?

2. DustinBBKiller

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 1 2011 14:36:40
    #

Login to Send PM

If the encasements are already on the way, ya might as well keep them. I'm aware you've been through this before and I'm sure you've been told or have read that bites don't necessarily mean bed bugs. But they don't. Others here will say the same thing.

You're on the right track though. Keep inspecting. Keep checking your various monitors. You might want to ask management if there have been previous problems in your building.

3. heritchyness

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 1 2011 15:00:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry you are having to deal with this. I think the wait and see approach is also sound, though I know how it is to be up at night thinking they are biting your baby! It's torture. We got the bb passive alert monitors and that helps me a lot. I have them around the house in places were the bugs would likely be. I also lightly dusted the crevices of our bed frame and around the feet of our bed (and the dogs beds) with DE. I used a very small amount and there is none in the air. If there are any babies hatching they will have to pass over the DE and they wont live long.
    My baby has really sensitive skin, so I take comfort in knowing that if she had been bitten I would know it. I hope it's the same for you.
    Good luck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,263 posts in 50,153 topics over 155 months by 21,923 of 22,419 members. Latest: frustrated1970, duracell, Parawail