Confused. What are these. [a: carpet beetle larval shed skins]

(4 posts)
  1. goingbbcrazy

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 23 2015 17:02:47
    #

Login to Send PM

My daughter spent the weekend with a friend and Monday she had six bite marks on her arm and six on her back, one on her leg. After studying the bites on the Internet I came to the conclusion this might be bed bug bites. My daughter said that she had asked her friend why they weren't sleeping on the couch (as they had done in the past) the girl replied "if you sit to long on there you get little red marks!!!!" Thats when I panicked! And shame on that mother for letting another child spend not one night but two nights at her home. How do you not know you have them if you getting bit! Anyway I started checking our couch, beds, etc. found nothing. Then my OTHER daughter woke up 3 days later with bites I started looking deeper. Flipped the couch and found a cluster of skeletons in a seam underneath (2 spots). I checked the beds and no clusters, maybe a single skeleton or two but can't be sure. I have still not found any live bugs.
    And why with two different cutters of skeletons are they just getting bit now? I would think we might of had them for a while, but only have bit marks after coming from the friends house?
    So confused!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4c4lsen12j2ne81/image.jpg?dl=0

Okay, here's the pic of the skeletons under the couch.

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 23 2015 17:08:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Carpet beetles.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 23 2015 18:18:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Exoskeletons. Shed skins (exuviae) of carpet beetle larvae. The larvae are living within the couch. Do you know what the couch is stuffed with? Certain skin reactions are a result of exposure to the specialized defensive setae (hairs) found in clusters or tufts on the larva. So not exactly being "bit". And it's also possible that the reasons for the skin lesions aren't the carpet beetle larvae. You have to be able to rule out other etiological agents such as mites, bed bugs, etc. Your daughter might have experienced bed bug bites, but the insects aren't on any of her belongings and are not in your home. Is there a way to follow up with her friend? If there is a problem with their couch (and probably beds), then they should take care of it.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. goingbbcrazy

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 24 2015 9:19:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you guys so much. I feel like I can breath a little bit better now. Still a little worried as to why my other daughter had simalar bites too? I'm worried my youngest might of brought one of those little bugs home from her friends?? Uggh
    I am going to have a pest company come out and check for my peace of mind, but wonder if he'll be able to find any seeing how we would of just got them so there wouldn't be but a couple to find in a big house. I know I've looked and found nothing.
    I know in a worry wort!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

272,341 posts in 44,488 topics over 135 months by 19,506 of 20,185 members. Latest: R1180m, SBbluebed, Panic-in-my-bedroom