Confused and need help!

(4 posts)
  1. bugonthebrain

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Aug 29 2009 21:01:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I've recently found that my house is having a bed bug problem. I have been living away from home since may and sometime in June or July my brother woke up with his arm full of bites and large red bumps. At the time we assumed he might have picked up something from his gym or he was having a reaction to something. the first week of august he thought he saw a bug in his bed and felt getting bit and threw his sheets off his mattress and saw bed bugs in between his box spring and mattress. He also found them in his head board. He went berserk not really knowing at the time what they were and dragged everything outside to the street and chucked all his bedding in plastic bags, he also unloaded a can of raid or some other bug spray all over his room. The next day or two his clothes were all removed and washed and his entire room checked and taken apart. As of yet I had still not slept at home for fear of bringing them into my room,I had never been bitten in my room when I was sleeping there before May and I am the one in my house who is allergic to everything. Me and my brother went out of town for ten days and during that time my parents and my other brother both received bites.

My other brother checked his bed and found a few crawling in between his mattress and box spring and he did the same thing as my other brother, dragged his mattress outside to the curb. My parents didn't find anything on their bed but a few days later woke up to a couple on a pillow and the wall behind the bed.

When returning from the trip all three of us slept in a game room above our garage on extra couches. No bites the first night but I finally received my first bite that second night as well as my one brother receiving his second bite.

My parents also saw one on the sofa downstairs about a month ago. That room was stripped and scrubbed, everything washed until four days ago three showed up in there again.

My dad refuses to hire a PCO because of bad experiences in the past and when he was checking his room found they were coming from under his carpet behind his wood headboard. He has cut out all the padding and carpet, rolled them and sealed them in plastic bags for all of our bedrooms. We have packed up all of our bedrooms, like we are moving. Clothes has all been washed on hot and placed in plastic bags, bathrooms, kitchen, laundry room, living room cleaned, all furniture in bed rooms emptied and wiped down, all curtains removed washed and not hung back up. He has set off a bed bug bomb today (haven't been home to check it out yet), spraying things down with 71% rubbing alcohol from a laboratory, bought some bed bug death spray from home depot and all personal possessions boxed and stacked all together in our garage. It is bedlam in my house!

So, I packed my entire bedroom up in plastic bags which I sealed in boxes or in double bagged plastic bags ( didn't find any bed bugs when checking drawer corners and visible spots with flashlight), I pulled my sheets off my less than 1 year old mattress, no bugs or any residue, lifted my mattress, no bugs in between mattress and box spring, lifted box spring and found i had a small tear in dust cover stapled on bottom , no bugs from what i saw on metal frame or box spring ( I immediately put a plastic cover on my box spring). There was no residue that I saw anywhere. I have a metal headboard and foot board so not to many hiding places there. I ripped up my carpet and still no bugs found underneath the padding or carpet. I will say it was a quick visual with a flashlight but I never found a thing and like i said, hadn't slept in there since May.

I am sooooooo paranoid now, I have ordered the packtite and cant wait to start using it as well as the new oreck steamer stick and three cans of pronto and I have never found anything. Should I be this crazy? I am moving out to rent a room in my friends town home and am paranoid about bringing this with me! Its a much smaller room so I'm not bringing any furniture in my bedroom now except maybe my bed and I plan on encasing them in bed bug proof plastic and buying a new frame and headboard. How do I treat pictures in a photo album and pictures in frames? I'm also thinking about renting a storage space and storing my personal stuff I don't need for 18-24months to be sure nothing lives and also because I don't have space for everything and i cant keep it at my parents because they will be selling the house within a year or two. I don't know how to make sure my 40" LCD is clean or harmony remote, 19" LCD screen, all in one printer, x box, DVD player, laptop, desktop PC, wireless mouse and keyboard, and ionic breeze. I know know I have a lot of electronics but I'm a sorta an electronic junkie and kind find any advice to clean these things. Please give advice!!

To make things worse the more I read the more paranoid I get and have freaked myself out that they might be in my less than one year old and kept very clean car somehow (I have never been bitten and neither has anyone else that has been in my vehicle and I have never seen them in there, I do get my car cleaned inside (vacuumed and dusted) and out at a minimum once a month.

I am a crazy stressed wreck and obsessed to boot with this evil bugs!!! I need advice from others who know my mental state . Should I be this crazy with not finding anything in my room, haven't slept there in months and only been bitten once? My boyfriend is becoming just as paranoid as me now after reading and he has never been bitten at his house or has any traces on his bedding or mattress.

I'm sorry for the long post but I just wanted to explain the situation as best as I can recall at the moment and also to vent my stress because keeping this secret make me feel like a social outcast and I needed relief. Any thoughts or advice is welcomed!!!

2. MuchoInsano

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Aug 29 2009 22:53:19
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like you have a major problem in your home and the DIY's may not be enough to get it resolved. Many here would say that most of the actions taken (with the exception of bagging up clothes after washing) may be counterproductive. Some PCO's are con artists, but there are bad cops, firemen, and doctors. The goal has to be to find a good one and not let things get too out of hand.

I can totally understand your mental state. It has been many sleepless nights for me, but I am coming to the point where I understand that all I can do is get educated and take the proper steps. Take a deep breath and help your family find the right way. Someone has to be the calm, thoughtful one. This forum is a good place to supplement your education.

3. DrFrank

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Aug 30 2009 3:35:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Your house has a major infestation. If you want to be confident that you're not bringing bed bugs to your new place, you should assume that there are eggs in everything you own, and treat them accordingly. That's not being paranoid, that's just being pragmatic.

Most of your electronics will fit in the Packtite, and they'll be fine in there. While the Packtite might not officially be rated for it, if I were in your position, I'd probably try putting the Packtite inside a larger cardboard box with any electronics that wouldn't fit inside the Packtite itself, duct-taping up the seams and using some probe style digital thermometers to check the temperature. DDVP strips are also an option for short periods of time, with some minor risk of damaging the electronics.

Can you live without your pictures for 18 months? If so, storage is the best way to treat them. If not, well, developed pictures are probably safe in the Packtite, but you might want to try a few, first, just to make sure. The photos in the photo album are probably safe, anyway, if they're kept between the sheets of plastic. You could probably safely remove the pictures to a clean plastic bag and just treat the album. Depending on the style of the frames, the same might be true for them.

Leaving the furniture behind sounds like a good idea. You might want to get your dad to read the faqs on this site and spend a few hours in the forum... Your folks have made some pretty good progress on the list of "dont's", so far...

4. bugonthebrain

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Aug 30 2009 8:25:00
    #

Login to Send PM

DrFrank: I know my parents have done lots of don't so far but there is no reasoning with my dad to get a PCO and I've tried pleading with him but I'd end up having to pay for it because he won't, that's one of the reason's I'm moving out. My TV is a 40inch LCD and its larger than the packtite any recommendations? what is the card board box for around the packtite when treating electronics? do you mean to leave the zipper open and use the box as a "larger" packtite?

I don't mind storing most of my stuff, it's just these electronics I don't know what to do with

are there guidelines for what type of storage unit is best ?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,404 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams