Confirmed case while studying abroad! Alone and scared pls help

(2 posts)
  1. pleasehelpmeahhhhhh

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 11 2018 19:14:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi! I’m new here and have never posted on a forum like this before so I’m really hoping someone here can help me. I’m currently staying in a homestay while studying abroad and just found out I have bed bugs. I’m trying to figure out if I could have brought them or if they were already here mostly for my mental well being (everyone keeps pointing fingers at me which is hard to take because I’m not sure that it’s true but it would be much easier knowing that it’s for sure my fault) but also so I can better figure out what is clean and what’s not.
    Here’s the timeline:
    I moved from my first homestay to the one I’m currently in on June 27th. The move was not a big deal - only about a 20 minute walk away. The last homestay I was in didn’t have any bed bugs. I spent one night in the new homestay and then on the 28th I left to do some traveling. I returned on July 2nd. While traveling I had no issues and shared a bed with another person who didn’t have any issues and still has no issues now. On July 4th, I started noticing bites on my arms, neck, and face. Everyday for the next few days I would wake up with more bites and hives. July 7th I did not sleep at home and did not have any new bites in the morning. On July 8th late at night I found an adult bed bug on the wall and killed it and proceeded to not sleep the entire night in favor of hysterically crying to my parents over the phone.
    On the 9th I went to the doctor to get treatment for the bites and she said there must be a lot because I was being “eaten alive” (NOT the words I wanted to hear but okay). I told my host family what was going on that night and we tried to treat the mattress with baking soda and I bagged all of my belongings. I woke up in the middle of the night with bugs around me and ended up killing 7 of them of all different sizes and 1 nymph.
    The night of the 10th I slept on the couch because we decided to toss the mattress and woke up with no new bites. I sent everything to the dry cleaners that I could and left everything else in their bags. That brings us to today, the 11th. The exterminator came and looked around today and they’re going to spray the room twice to get rid of them. They pointed out some bed bugs that they found in the bed frame and I saw 4-5 with just a quick glance at one of the panels (EW!).
    So I guess my main questions are: 1. Is it likely that I caused this infestation? Please be honest! 2. How do you mentally deal with knowing you brought bed bugs into someone else’s house? I’m a 7 hour flight from home and don’t speak much of the language where I’m staying so I’m alone, scared and keep calling my parents while crying so I’m sure they’d appreciate any help you can give me too. 3. How long do bed bug bites last? Mine are everywhere and they’re ugly and I keep feeling like people are judging me for it.
    Thank you so much for reading! Sorry that it was long but any help you can give me is much appreciated!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jul 11 2018 19:34:55
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like bed bugs may have already been in the new house prior to your arrival. You could ask the PCO if there's a clear indicator of how long this infestation has been in that room. Either way it needs to be dealt with before their numbers drastically increase.

Bed bug bites differ from person to person, and may even differ on the same person depending on bite location on the body.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,375 posts in 46,305 topics over 141 months by 20,411 of 21,249 members. Latest: berry1, kt_f, newbee