Confirmed case- 10+ days until heat treatment, and need some advice

(6 posts)
  1. Lookingforadvice

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 5 2018 20:36:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been getting bites for 2.5 weeks. I had suspected bed bugs but could find no traces of them at all until 3 days ago when I found some live ones on the bottom of my box spring. I saved them with tape so they could be confirmed. I live in a multi-unit apartment complex. While I was at work the next day, I let the rental office know of the situation. They were able to have a PCO come look at my apartment that day, and they confirmed they were indeed bed bugs. Unfortunately I was not able to directly speak with the PCO to ask them my many questions. I have tried to get in contact with them but haven't heard back yet. Per the rental office, they will do heat treatment of my entire apartment. They gave me the prep sheet from the PCO with all the instructions of what to do before heat treatment. I will have to pay for everything myself per my lease agreement. They are going to schedule me for treatment but said it would likely be at least 10 days before they can fit me in. In the meantime I would like to do everything I can to minimize the issue and keep them from spreading.

-Per the PCO's website, they only offer a 30 day guarantee for their heat treatment. That makes me nervous as that doesn't seem like enough time to know if the bed bugs are really gone for good based on everything I've read. Affording a second treatment if the bugs come back will be hard on me financially. What are people's opinions about a 30 day guarantee?

-The only place I've seen any sign of the bugs in on my bed. I am hoping I don't have too bad of an infestation as I seem to react pretty badly to the bites. I am okay with eventually replacing my mattress and bed as they are pretty old anyway (no more box springs for me). My real fear is of spreading them to my sofa. I know not to sleep on the sofa, but is spending a couple of hours a day on it enough to draw the bugs to it? I have it pulled away from the wall right now. I have a set of clothes that I only wear in my bedroom and a set of clothes I only wear in my living room. After each wear I have been drying them on high heat in the dryer and ziploc bagging them. Is there anything else I can do to prevent them from spreading to my sofa?

-I think I will likely want to encase my mattress and box spring after the heat treatment is done. How hard is it to put them on by yourself? I live alone and am honestly afraid of asking any of my friends to come over and help me. Any advice on preventing tears on the box spring encasement? I have a metal bed frame that has a few sharp corners.

-Is there anything I can do to try to prevent the bugs from spreading to another apartment? I have no idea if the infestation is coming from somewhere else or if I brought them in. I hope they are not coming from another apartment as that likely means I'll have to pay for another treatment. The rental office didn't really answer me straightforward when I asked if anyone else had recently found bed bugs.

2. Lookingforadvice

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 5 2018 20:38:18
    #

Login to Send PM

One more question I left out- Should I try to inspect my box spring regularly and kill any I see? Or would that likely disturb them and make them spread out?

3. Bugsareicky

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 5 2018 21:33:46
    #

Login to Send PM

buy a few pie tins and some food grade Diatomacious earth or cimexa. pour a bunch in the tins and put those under your couch legs. Nothing can climb up. Most hardware stores or animal feed stores carry food grade DE real cheap. DO NOT use pool grade, it's very dangerous and not effective for this purpose. Try your best not to kick the tins...DE makes a mess and isn't much fun to breathe in either.

Buy a good quality encasement. The plastic ones are useless junk that will end up full of holes. We bought high quality stretchy fabric ones with double protected zippers that go over both the mattress and box spring.. My hubby somehow got those onto our new queen sized beds by himself without tearing them. I definitely could not put one on a mattress by myself, let alone a box spring too. I guess whether you can do it alone depends on your size/strength.

4. mannrw61

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 5 2018 23:27:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm in your EXACT same boat. i found the bb's on last saturday (6/30), and called my rental office as soon as they opened on sunday morning (7/1). They came out to inspect on Monday, but then "couldn't get" an appointment with the pest company until THIS COMING TUESDAY (7/10). I'm like, that's almost 10 days that I have to live with these suckers until you're finally going to do something about it!?

Add to that the fact that if my roommate and I don't prep adequately enough, we will be fined $500 dollars. I'm like, yeah, don't spray for 10 days then rub even more salt in my wound by threatening a fine if we don't prep well enough. And i know I'm probably not going to prep adequately because there are certain things they want out of the room that I'm leaving there because if my stuff (books, pillows, etc) have come into contact with the bugs, I'd rather have them treated than remove them while they could have bugs and risk potentially reintroducing the bugs to my clean room. It's a nightmare.

Current fighter of bed bugs, survivor of one previous bout of bed bugs, and ironically enough I'm the IPM manager where I work.
  5. thirdusername

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 6 2018 0:58:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd get a legal opinion before I pay for treatment in an apartment building.
    That part of the lease might not be enforceable.
    Landlords often put illegal stuff in leases.
    The bugs might move to an adjacent cool unit and then back when they get treated.
    Back and forth.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  6. Lookingforadvice

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 6 2018 18:08:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm definitely going to try the DE in pie tins for the legs of my sofa.

mannrw61- I feel your pain! My treatment is scheduled for July 16, so 10 more days. I hope your treatment goes well and they kill them all fast.

Thirdusername- I have looked for hours about regulations in my area as to landlord vs tenant paying for treatment, and it is all kind of confusing. My best friend is an attorney in this area, though, and she is going to try to help me out and look into it.

I spoke with the PCO on the phone today. He was very nice and answered all my questions about prepping for treatment. However, there were two things that he said that made me nervous.
    1. I asked about the 30 day guarantee and if that was long enough to know for sure if the bed bugs are gone. He said "absolutely" it was long enough. Just not sure about this....
    2. He didn't really give me much of an answer as to how they prevent the bugs from going into another, cooler apartment during the treatment. He did say they usually inspect the surround apartments before treatment. He told me bed bugs don't usually scurry like that. I dunno, seems like that's not really true from other people's stories.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,375 posts in 46,305 topics over 141 months by 20,411 of 21,249 members. Latest: berry1, kt_f, newbee