Complicated and can't think of another way to detect except wait to be bitten

(9 posts)
  1. bbheartattack

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 3 2014 20:34:19
    #

Login to Send PM

My situation is a bit particular... Here goes.

I recently had a friend stay over who is traveling the US right now racing bikes and stayed in my apt starting last Sunday. I let him stay at my place the whole week, while mid week (Wed) I stayed at my other friends place to babysit his dogs. I woke up with 3 serious bug bites at my friends house on my exposed thigh saturday morning which reminded me of bed bug bites. (I have delt with an infestation before in a previous apartment 4 years ago and these bites remind me of them). I told my friend I was dog sitting about the bites and he seemed surprised and said he didn't think it was fleas, because they dogs were good and that he had no idea what might have bit me.

So over the course of the weekend while I was babysitting the dogs I slowly became more and more anxious that these 3 bites were really bed bug bites. My friend that I dog sit for travels a lot himself and just came back from France which I heard is a hot bed for bed bugs. I laundered all my clothing on high and combed through the rest of my belongings wiping them down with alcohol as well before returning to my apt.

Upon getting home it dawned upon me, maybe my friend I let stay over might have give me bed bugs and I traveled and brought them to my other friends place? So possibly now he has bed bugs and I as well? I asked my bike racing friend if he had gotten bit, but he said no. Which doesn't make me feel better, because I know that 30% of people don't even react to bed bug bites.

Now there are so many possibilities that are running through my head making me NEUROTIC. I barely could sleep let alone eat thinking that I could be dealing with the possibility of a new infestation. The first one was traumatic enough and now knowing how hard it is to get rid of them from my previous encounter (I had to move out because they were slum lords) along with living by myself now and having no support system I am breaking down.

I know I should stay in my place and figure out if I do have an infestation. At this point I have just decided to wait 2 weeks and see if I get bitten at my apt... Since I live in a loft, my bed is in a small lofted area and there is no way to put it on a frame or pull it away from a wall to put detectors underneath it. I could do that with my sofa, but then again I don't sleep there so I would have to start sleeping on my sofa then? I don't want to spread them if they are in my apt. though. The hard part is who knows where they are since my friend slept on the couch and in my bed when I wasn't there. They could be anywhere if I do have them.

I also check my bed and pillows but found no spots except for 2-3 small dark spots on my pillow which I can't tell if it is fecal and even if it was it could be remnants from my last encounter with bed bugs since I have the same pillows, but were disinfected in the dryer years ago.

I am pretty much going insane coming home to my apt and climbing in bed playing the waiting game to see if I get bit here... Are there any other ideas you guys might have for my particular situation that would help me detect if I have bed bugs other than waiting here each night, not letting anyone over, and going crazy waiting to be bit?

2. bbanxiety22

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 3 2014 21:13:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I hear you, I get crazy, too. My boyfriend's apartment has confirmed bed bugs and landlord will not cooperate with treatment. They really can't move just yet. Because of that, we have established travel precautions, and I also installed detectors all over the place.

I suggest, for your sanity, get climb ups, install passive monitors, get the bed bug blue and until you see a sign, don't worry.

If it makes you feel better, with all our precautions, all my monitors have been so far negative. I get paranoid every once in a while, but I go to this forum and get reassured.

3. bbheartattack

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 3 2014 23:49:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the support bbanxiety22. I hope your boyfriend gets out of his terrible situation! One thing I did find recently was the bed bug registry. You should have him register his current place there. It's actually where I just found out that where I had my previous encounter with bed bugs, there was already an infestation there and the landlords had called that tenant crazy. So I must have gotten what slowly was a spreading infection since they lived in the apt above me! Maybe you guys can prevent anyone else from suffering the same fate!

As for my situation, I was thinking of getting climb ups, but since I don't have a bed frame and can't get my bed away from a wall other than moving it completely from the loft which could possibly spread them if i have them, I can't use a passive monitor on the bed.

I was debating on getting them for my couch since it has zoned off legs and sleeping there for 2 weeks to see if anything climbs up in that time. My thoughts being that in about 2 weeks I can get a pretty good idea if anything came with me or any of my friends since they feed about every 5-7 days giving me one week to get bit by a hatched beg bug and eggs hatch every 6-10 days adding another week for anything that might have been laid to hatch and come and find me for food.

It is a dreadful feeling of thinking this is the only way, but I can't think of any other way to know other than wait it out...

It's actually funny when I come to the forums I get more scared because it seems more and more apparent the destructiveness and tenacity these bugs have to get what they want. But Knowledge is power and learning everything that could be possible can be nerve racking, but at least you know your enemy.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 4 2014 0:34:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I understand you can't place your bed on ClimbUps (interceptor monitors) but why exactly can't you use Packtite Passive/BBAlert Passive monitors?

See our monitor FAQ.

Note that three suspected insect bites could have had a lot of causes besides bed bugs. It's easy for a good clean dog to bring in a flea or two. I would not discount that.

Even if they were from bed bugs, they could potentially have happened anywhere you were in the prior week or so. There's no reason to assume they were brought home either.

Try not to let your imagination go wild.

Also, understand that there are people with some pretty scary stories "about bed bugs" on the forums which in some cases haven't even been visually confirmed as bed bugs. Try to stay balanced. They're not magic creatures and it would be very bad luck to bring them home from what would be a very light infestation, even if your friend had them.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. bbanxiety22

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 4 2014 19:30:44
    #

Login to Send PM

As nobugsonme suggested, get the packtite passive monitors. If you don't have a bedframe, try double sided tape? I have read this somewhere however I'm not sure of its effectiveness. Again, have these passive monitors, and until you see an actual bug, don't worry so much about it.

6. bbheartattack

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 6 2014 11:12:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey nobugsonme and bbanxiety22, thanks for the recommendations on the passive monitors! I didn't realize they were different from the cups that you put on the bottom of your bed. I just bought one for my bed and some cups for my legs.

So far I still haven't been bitten and none of my friends have noted they've been bit so far too. I am starting to gain my sanity again. I am really hoping that these 3 bites are still just random spider/flea bites. I'll keep you guys updated and thanks for the support!

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 6 2014 14:05:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Bbheartattack,
    Good luck and keep us posted!

8. bbheartattack

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 20 2014 3:14:39
    #

Login to Send PM

As a follow up. It's been officially 3 weeks since I was bitten at my friend's place and I am fairly confident that whatever bit me didn't come back home with me or originate from my place. My friend who I was staying at when I was bitten hasn't noted anything since (I hadn't pushed it either so not to freak him out). At this point I can only assume that it was some stray fleas or spider.

I have bought a passive monitor and am installing it next to my bed so I won't have to sit up at night in fear of the unknown. Thank you guys for the great insite and I hope I won't have to come back anytime soon with anymore bedbug anxiety attacks!

On a last note though... After this bite scare it really put in perspective just how stressed I was and this scare just sent me over. I took a look at all my things and just thinking about them being possibly infested made me realize how unimportant all these material possessions were. I needed to make some changes in my life, simplify and learn to handle stressors in life better. Almost a blessing in disguise, because it was a real eye opener.

9. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 20 2014 4:06:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm happy for you, and wish I had your luck. Active co2 negative, passive negative....but 3 skin casts, and lots of bites yesterday. I count 4 at least--two on my neck, while in bed, (def bites), two welts on leg. Am using lamisol to rule out ringwirm and i guess my luck ran out. Hoping its fleas, but my flea trap caught nothing. (Light may not have been hot enough). I'm a wee bit envious...if only my bb radar had gone on before I transported them into my home. Still I'm every bit happy for you!

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88