(4 posts)
  1. sunniekid90

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Nov 30 2018 23:24:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello!

I work in the community going to people's homes to provide health services. I could spend up to an hour or more in someone's home. Sometimes the place is not as clean as others.

I try to avoid sitting on material furniture but often have to as much of my visits are done sitting and talking to the patient.

Is there anything I can be doing to try to prevent bringing bugs home? A spray that might make them avoid me? Any spray that isn't toxic to me that I could spray on me or my bag?

Any ideas are appreciated!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Dec 1 2018 5:11:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you contact my office via email using an email address that confirms your health worker status they will send you a PDF called “care workers, entering infested locations which covers all you need to know about helping the people you visit by confirming bed bugs before your exposed and simple steps to monitor your home in case you pick up the issue via a different route.

I have spoken at NHS infection control meetings in the past which is why this document got created.

As for non-toxic things to spray on you or your bag that’s just not a sustainable solution when it comes to bed bugs and entering peoples homes, especially when you are there to support them.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. anonabug

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Dec 12 2018 16:26:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes. And you should always take these precautions, whether you know that the unit you are entering is infested or not. Think of it as "universal precautions", just the way that healthcare workers always take precautions, whether the patient is known to be HIV positive or not.

Don't take any bag into the building with you, if you can possibly avoid it. Don't wear a coat into the unit if you can avoid it. Carry just a file or folder, and don't put it down anywhere. Bedbugs don't travel on people, but they do travel on things. Have in your car a neutral color pair of comfortable shoes that fit into a large ziploc bag. When you are going to enter a unit, change by your car into these shoes. When you return to the car, zip the shoes into the ziploc (you might have picked up bedbug eggs on them). If you are going to many places every day, I'd just use these over and over - but make sure that they're encased in a closed ziploc in your car. If it's a once in a while thing, I'd bake them in your oven at 130 degrees for an hour - that will kill any eggs.

Wear washable clothing, and it wouldn't hurt to shower and wash your clothing and dry it on hot as soon as it's done, and dry it bone dry. I would not dress in dry-clean only clothing. If you need to look professional, washable slacks and blouses that can be dried bone dry in the dryer.

Yes, passive monitors are great for finding out if you've got bedbug activity in your own home, but I'm sure you'd rather just avoid bringing them in at all!

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Dec 13 2018 14:39:34
    #

Login to Send PM

If you find yourself sitting in these situations the easiest and most helpful step could be something as simple as bringing a stool to sit on when meeting your clients in their homes.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

283,867 posts in 47,243 topics over 145 months by 20,836 of 21,126 members. Latest: pinkfoxes, Tomwilson28, aeb19