(4 posts)
  1. ImGoingCrazySaveMe

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 24 2017 17:14:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Guys,

I'm sort of panicking ("yes and what is new, you loon?"-you guys) but I'm about to close on a new apartment and I am super excited to just begin living again.

Until, that is ..... I read this post here. And....not so excited anymore. It makes it sound like it's impossible.

For the uninitiated, hi my name is ImGoingCrazySaveMe and this is my story
    1- I got an infestation that my PCO called "minor" which was discovered "2-3 weeks" into it, according to his guesstimations.

2- Before the PCO came, I had managed to spot 2 live bedbugs on the wall one morning after deciding to sleep on the couch about the third day into finding weird bites on my arms....so. I'm not so sure it's that minor if I'm just seeing them out and about like all is dandy.

3- The minute I saw those two chillin' like the actual real-live villains that they are, I got the PCO, and a professional, who we will henceforth call Bobby for no other reason than that is his name. The PCO treated the apt immediately and Bobby put ALL (and I mean ALL) of my stuff in big ol' Swedish ovens and bagged them up for me. I ran the hell out the door to a hotel for a few nights.

4- I bought a new plastic-shell luggage and stored it at a friend's home-- it never entered my home neither pre nor post treatment.

5- Even after Bobby's cooking, I re-dried a selection of my clothes for an hour and fled to my boyfriend's home in Paris using the luggage I stored elsewhere which my friend gave me at the hotel lobby. While in Paris, we took several trips all over for a long-planned vacay, I was a crazy paranoid mess, etc. you know the drill.

5- Also while there, I was super diligent and continued to live out of plastic bags and heat-dry all of my stuff every other day. I hit the panic button a few times but I guess (hope) they were false alarms.

6- Fast forward to now, and I have been staying with a friend/at hotels with the same level of crazy paranoia as I await my approval for a new place.

My plan is as follows:

- Even after Bobby cooked everything I own, I am going to re-launder all of the clothes I want to keep and throw out the rest. I'll place them in large sealed plastic bags and slowly take them, one group of plastic bags at a time, to the new place.

- I am going to rent a Packtite and use it in my current apartment which I'm trying to flee. I will use this to treat books, electronics, cosmetics, frames, pictures, shoes, memorabilia collected thru travels (ok more like junk and knick-knacks I want to keep), place them in sealed plastic bags and take them, one group at a time to the new place.

-I will try to keep as many of the items as I can sealed in the bag for about a year or so and only use the clothes. I am not sure how much longer I have to keep things in plastic bags but I'm ready willing and able to sustain this #bedbuglyfe for as long as the experts tell me to.

- I am not interested in taking my furniture along as I am not that invested and the new place is furnished. Haven't quite worked out what I will be doing with them. Throw them out on the street and write BEDBUGS on them? I don know but all suggestions welcome.

So....having said all that. Will I still take them along with me?

*sigh*

2. ImGoingCrazySaveMe

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 24 2017 18:10:06
    #

Login to Send PM

The cheese stands alone again huh (the cheese also does talk too much sorry!)

*ponders burying woes in actual cheese alone in a hotel room because that is my life now*

3. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 26 2017 10:05:18
    #

Login to Send PM

My first thought is, if you're not staying at your place, then the bugs have no bait to draw them out to cross the spray, assuming that the PCO used spray (versus steam, for example). It's super icky - maybe the worst part - but if there is no bait, the bbs wont just wonder around looking, generally.

If you found them "just chillin" (lol) then it could be they were in transit coming from another unit, if you're currently in a multi unit building.

Regarding the Packtite, putting electronics in it is risky. Some cannot withstand the heat and could be ruined. Treating with DDVP (Nuvan, HotShots) strips is more recconended for electronics. Also, if you can afford it, consider buying a Packtite. It's an investment and useful in treating down the line as prevention. Also, consider this: who rents Packtites? People fighting bbs. Would you risk bringing anything that has been in a bb infested home into your home? Just a thought.

If you're keeping untreated items bagged, you should keep them sealed 18 months, not a year. Alternatively, you can use DDVP or other bag treatment methods for a few weeks. Lots of info here about it.

To get rid of my furniture, I called a company experienced in bb moveout. They are in the NY area. They wrapped in plastic and sealed and moved it out directly to the dump. If you put furniture on thd curb, make sure it's ruined so no one takes it, and wrapped to prevent spread.

Hope that helps! Best of luck moving! It's 100% possible to move without bbs.

Not an expert. Any advice I give is information gleaned via anxiety-fueled research of credible sources and expert posts here. Please research all advice before treating and consult a professional.
  4. ImGoingCrazySaveMe

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 26 2017 13:02:19
    #

Login to Send PM

nomorebuggs - 2 hours ago  » 
    My first thought is, if you're not staying at your place, then the bugs have no bait to draw them out to cross the spray, assuming that the PCO used spray (versus steam, for example). It's super icky - maybe the worst part - but if there is no bait, the bbs wont just wonder around looking, generally.

ANSWERING: thanks for giving me the time of day boo! I left but I left that carbon dioxide emitting wonder called the beacon monitor. I got four for a tiny apartment I think that should do the trick as recommended by my PCO. I definitely suspect it should be my neighbor which is so frustrating and why I want to move. Management isn't acknowledging this so that's a double incentive. So yeah. Not sitting here treating this only to get a shrug from management when I become reinfested with chillin' bbs on a wall again thank you very much. Over and out! Bye.

Regarding the Packtite, putting electronics in it is risky. Some cannot withstand the heat and could be ruined. Treating with DDVP (Nuvan, HotShots) strips is more recconended for electronics. Also, if you can afford it, consider buying a Packtite. It's an investment and useful in treating down the line as prevention. Also, consider this: who rents Packtites? People fighting bbs. Would you risk bringing anything that has been in a bb infested home into your home? Just a thought.

ANSWERING: Yep this is why I'm treating strictly in the infested place and then peacing the hell out. That rented thing isn't coming with me that's for sure. I'll treat electronics at minimum degrees then keep them bagged for eternity, until I'm ready to take them out again and even then it will be in a Starbucks armed with nuvan strips.

If you're keeping untreated items bagged, you should keep them sealed 18 months, not a year. Alternatively, you can use DDVP or other bag treatment methods for a few weeks. Lots of info here about it.
    To get rid of my furniture, I called a company experienced in bb moveout. They are in the NY area. They wrapped in plastic and sealed and moved it out directly to the dump. If you put furniture on thd curb, make sure it's ruined so no one takes it, and wrapped to prevent spread.
    Hope that helps! Best of luck moving! It's 100% possible to move without bbs.

ANSWERING: thankkkk youuuu for the positivity. I'm in New York, could you kindly pass along the info on the company you hired? Considering leaving this junk for management to deal with so they can think twice next time they want to shrug when a tenant comes crying to them with an issue this disgusting. But I suppose doing the ethical thing is far better. Anyway today is packtite treatment day and I'll slowly begin moving the things I want to keep. Wish me luck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,194 posts in 50,136 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69