(4 posts)
  1. Mona

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 13 2012 19:07:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I've been fighting them since July and so far I have gone 6 days no bites I do have a professional exterminator who has come four times.

I think we got them all but don't know for sure and I'm still scared that they are still here.

I inquired about the hot/cold treatment that can be done which kills everything in your place 100% BUT they are fully booked until the end of October (you know there is a problem when lol). So while trying to think up a way to do it myself I did have an idea but it may be absolutely stupid as well so I wanted everyones opinion on it.

Do you think I could take the fire estinigher and just spray down my whole bedroom set? I remember a fireman spraying it once in a class I took and cold powder came out and stayed cold for like 15 mins and then turned to just regular water.

Do you think this method would work? My place is already covered (literally) in DE (it was just the baseboards and around the furniture but the pets dragged it everywhere) so it couldn't hurt, could it??

I'm desperate to make sure they are gone!!!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 13 2012 19:13:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I do not know of any hot/cold treatment.

There's a freezing treatment called Cryonite which can work but people often report it taking multiple treatments-- sometimes as many or more than a traditional spray/dust treatment. It only kills bed bugs they hit directly.

There is also more than one kind of heat treatment: steam-- again a contact killer, but a good one-- or structural heating. Structural heating is supposed to be a one-shot treatment but isn't always successful.

You can view our FAQ on killing bed bugs with steam here.

Vikane gas fumigation is another one-shot treatment, at least in many parts of the US.

I can't comment on the fire extinguisher (I am not an expert) but if it's just freezing the surface, it would not be a one-shot solution (remember, the Cryonite isn't either). Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I am also worried about your application of DE -- it may have harmful effects on your lungs if it is getting kicked up into the air and inhaled. This is our FAQ on DE.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Mona

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 13 2012 19:37:30
    #

Login to Send PM

We bought the human grade DE which they told us was perfectly fine (we have pets so I didn't want anything harmful).

And if it does have side effects anything is better than the bites. I swell up in big welts. I am very allergic and I take the max dosage of allergy meds a day just for my regular allergies so the best the doctor could give me was a cream to use which does speed up the welt recovey time but they are still hard to explain to people.

And the bb only like to bite me so its worth it.

You would think someone would have found a way to get rid of these pests quickly and easily. I have never had such a hard time with anything. I've spent almost $2,000 and while I am bite free at the moment I am so scared they are just hiding and will be back

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 21:26:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Mona - 1 week ago  » 
    We bought the human grade DE which they told us was perfectly fine (we have pets so I didn't want anything harmful).

Hi Mona,
    Sorry I missed this response last week. You should really read the FAQ I linked to above if you're using DE. I think you mean you used food grade DE -- this type can be used safely but even this must be applied carefully and not in areas where it will be kicked up and inhaled. The FAQ goes into detail and cites expert sources. It's not about side effects like dry skin, the real concern is your lungs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081