Cold temperatures, prairies and bed bugs

(7 posts)
  1. esoterikk

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 18:43:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Talking to my PCO right now and he is telling me that any bugs in my car will be dead due to the cold. Frequently, being in the prairies, it gets down to -31c but is usually steady at ab out -15 to -20.

My car spends about 18 hours a day in this cold. I know its obviously not ideal but I am curious how effective this will be at preventing spread to my car?

I already put my clothes in the dryer for an hour and half when I enter the house, then bag them then dry them again when I leave. I leave my shoes outside in the cold and put socks on with one foot out the door.

Just scared to death of passing them on, I had to be prescribed ativan due to panic over bed bugs.

Encyclopedia of Entymology

Says thermal death point for adults is 1h at -18c and I have read of a person from this site saying he hasn't found a strain that lives longer than 2 hours at -17c but I am just making sure.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 19:11:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The issue of cooling is similar to heating and needs to be in an environment where the pressure to cool is constant such as in a freezer where heat is effectively extracted out of items.

As such your PCO's advice is flawed and is not reliable. When we first tested this approach in about 2007 we found it takes a lot longer than you have been told and that bedbugs are very hardie when it comes to tolerating cold.

In fact there is even an obscure reference to an Antarctic research station that remained infestated after 6 months exposure to the elements.

Sorry it's a case of bad advice.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. esoterikk

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 19:15:50
    #

Login to Send PM

So how can I control a problem in my vehicle? I don't know that I have one as I take every precaution leaving the house but I can't be 100% sure they aren't in there.

Do I just have my PCO spray my car top to bottom?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 19:32:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You start off by confirming if there is an issue in the vehicle first and only if there is a problem do you start looking at treatment options. There are numerous threads that discuss options but confirming will always be the first step.

David

5. esoterikk

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 19:43:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Is there a better method for checking the car? The lack of bites and the sheer amount of sand/mud/dirt from prolonged use as well as crumbs from food etc seems like it would be near impossible to see the bugs if they are in there?

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 19:49:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes given there is a near identical thread running on the same subject and I just posted a suggestion there have a look at it.

David

7. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2012 20:47:05
    #

Login to Send PM

You can put a passive under your car seat. I did that since I have an irrational fear of BBs. A close friend just told me his neighboring unit has them, so I'm glad I have the passives and the info.

They have left a sofa out in similar weather in my area for January and February and there were still live ones found (a PCO did an unscientific study).

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,666 posts in 48,867 topics over 151 months by 21,454 of 21,857 members. Latest: frejohansen, Bedbugs47, Ccronk22@gmail.com