Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Success Stories

Cold appartment and bed bugs

(13 posts)
  1. Kater

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 11 2014 11:23:05
    #

Login to Send PM

It has been more than four months now since we moved away from bed bugs - and since then there have been no really worrying signs (though I still worried and got help from David Cain - thank you sooo much). The traps are empty, no insect bites, no marks ... so I would like to call this a success story, at least of sorts. But then, today, for the first time since December, we have ten degrees Celsius outside! (yay) And I started to worry ...
    because we are students, we have tried to live with as cold an apartment as possible to safe costs. Especially the bedroom was not heated and just gt heat from the other rooms when the door was open... Could it be that the bed bugs just went into a winter-sleep and will wake up now, that its getting warmer?
    thank you!
    kater

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 11 2014 11:39:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

No.

If food is available bedbugs will be active.

Bedbugs only enter a dormant like state in the absence of food and not due to temperatures unless you are talking seriously sub zero.

The fact that your monitoring is clear is the reason you can consider this a success, just make sure you check on at least a monthly basis to ensure that should bedbugs get introduced int he future they are always detected early.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. Kater

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 16 2014 9:28:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    so now it has been five and a half months. I cant get the thought that the cold might have stopped them for a while out of my head. So: The bedroom might have been around 0 at times, I dont think it was much below 0, but when we had -25 degrees outside it might have gone down to 0. The living room was warmer though - would they have moved there and kept feeding?

The background is that I did not have any red bumps for over a month, but then my fiancee's mother decided to buy us an expensive chair and now I am getting bumps again. None of them look like insect bites or itch, but I have panik-attacks with every one of them and i cannot deal with the anxiety level at all.

Again: It has been five and a half months. Since we moved, our appartment is not littered at all, in the bedroom we basically only have a bed with boxsprng on metal legs and a wardrobe of light wood. I took the bottom out of the box-spring and have been checking it all over all the time without finding anything, really. I also always check the dust when I sweep and have not found any shells.

I cant settle down. We have one of the passive monitors, but we had that the last time too and it did not show anything, but in the end we had a confirmed case of bedbugs (PCO - confirmed and I found a bug, fecal stains and shells), so I cant get myself to trust the trap.

Every time i get a bump I panick completely and cant calm down for at least two days.

4. Kater

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 16 2014 9:29:35
    #

Login to Send PM

oh, the chair has not arrived yet, so it did not reintroduce them or anything. its jsut the thought of the chair and the danger of ruining it that makes me very anxious.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 16 2014 10:20:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Although you may not be able to get the thought out of your head regardless of if its in there or out in the ether is not going to have a bearing on the fact that unless you are close to 0 C or -32 F and occupied room will always have active bedbugs if they are present. There may be a slowing down in reproductive activity but they will still feed as and when they need to.

If they are feeding they would be leaving faecal traces. As we have seen from my recent YouTube video when present for just as little as 9 days they leave signs, in fact previous data shows 12 - 72 hours so i think we are safe to say that the 5 months is more than enough time to show activity were it present.

As such there reaches a time when a clear Passive Monitor regardless of any symptoms or skin reactions is a sign that there are not bedbugs present. For me that time is 14 days with no skin reactions and to be on the cautious side 21 days without.

You will also note that some of the recent data and part for the data set I am editing the video for now shows that faecal traces were left in rooms where the occupants made no reports of bedbug activity. That would indicate that they are more reliable than people reporting symptoms in at least this example.

As such where you are is in need of re-framing you previous response into a new way of thinking.

skin reaction = check Passive Monitor

If clear - consider other possible causes

If marked - you have caught the issue early and know what to do

You know exactly what to do and thus any future encounter will not be a stressful, anxious and such a steep learning curve as last time. This is also were the experience part of being a professional comes in. The experience, understanding and confidence gained through repeatedly succeeding at what can be a difficult task is the fuel that drives us on to constantly improve and get better.

We are now at a stage where our ability to integrate new IT system is the rate limiting factor at present but I am resolving that through a bespoke cloud based database application so that we will be able to access case information and notes in real time in a secure fashion between the field and office.

You are doing the right thing and as long as you inspect the new item upon arrival you will not have an issue. I am working on a new video that will show the point rather well but its about 7 days away.

David

6. Kater

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 16 2014 10:28:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you.
    Do you think that if the bedroom reached 0 at times, the bed bugs would have moved to the warmer living room (we spent hours on the couch because I am a student and sit there working often till late in the night, so that would be great feeding location too).

7. Kater

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 16 2014 10:33:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Also: of the five months, only two were that cold, so for three and a half now they would have been active anyways. Then I would have found something, too, right?

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 16 2014 11:32:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

No, they do not feel the cold as humans do.

Its also never good in the long run to anthropomorphize human behavior and values onto insects. It works better in the other direction.

They would have only moved out of the bedroom had it been abandoned for more than 10 days with signals that potential sources of food were still in the property.

I can not stress any clearer than you do not have an issue with bedbugs if you have had a clear Passive Monitor for that long.

David

9. Kater

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 16 2014 11:35:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok. Just so I understnad correctly: They would have stayed there and stopped activity, but started activity again whenever the temeprature got over ) degrees celsius?

10. Kater

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 16 2014 11:36:25
    #

Login to Send PM

thank you for the nice words though. I am just curious about general bedbug behaviour now.

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 16 2014 13:30:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The temperature would have slowed them down. When hungry they would have still ventured out for food when hungry so long as it was available.

Beyond that there is no exact or precise model that predicts behavior because there is no-one actively studying natural bedbug behavior because willing study participants are few and far between. The people who are happy living with bedbugs tend to have neighbors who do not share their apathy and thus test environments are limited in number.

David

12. Kater

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 16 2014 16:44:40
    #

Login to Send PM

So do I understnad you correctly. Temperatures around, but not necessary under 0 degrees celsius would have slowed the bedbugs down, but not stopped their activity altogether?

13. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 17 2014 1:30:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugs do not go dormant for the winter, but cold temperatures will in fact enable them to live longer in the absence of a food source, as their metabolic rate slows down in cold weather.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982