cold and flu stops the bites

(24 posts)
  1. stevebeast

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 13 2009 11:29:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I got 2 weeks bite free! I got the swine flu and the bites tapered off as i got sick, i was thinking my rusults was getting some results, the whole time i was sick i didnt get bit, I didnt itch, my skin was starting to heal and I thought life was going to be good again but as soon as i got better they hit me hard too many bites to count, the swine flu is bad but i might be down to get it again

2. bait

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 13 2009 21:26:37
    #

Login to Send PM

That is crazy. Wonder if getting vaccinated against the H1N1 virus would have an effect.

3. ghostbitten

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 14 2009 0:30:06
    #

Login to Send PM

if getting vaccinated works, ill get over my needlephobia just to try it!

4. petlady

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 14 2009 14:15:13
    #

Login to Send PM

that's somehow true. My grandma has them and she is diabetic on insuline and many other meds and never gets bite.

5. Jason1

banned

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 14 2009 19:31:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I find this VERY interesting. Could be onto something here.

As we know, very LITTLE is known about bb, which is why they are so hard to control.
    Who knows, maybe they don't like the vacine for some reason? Or the virus itself.

It may not be as crazy as it sounds. I mean, something is unusual here if suddenly the bites stopped once you got sick, and/or the H1N1 shot.

I was thinking, maybe some of you on this board who are going to get the H1N1 vacine, for which i'm sure their are many.....could create a thread, and report bb bite results after you get the shot? Or people that already get the virus. Just a thought, it might prove very interesting!

stevebeast - 1 day ago  » 
    I got 2 weeks bite free! I got the swine flu and the bites tapered off as i got sick, i was thinking my rusults was getting some results, the whole time i was sick i didnt get bit, I didnt itch, my skin was starting to heal and I thought life was going to be good again but as soon as i got better they hit me hard too many bites to count, the swine flu is bad but i might be down to get it again

6. Jason1

banned

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 14 2009 19:33:48
    #

Login to Send PM

petlady - 5 hours ago  » 
    that's somehow true. My grandma has them and she is diabetic on insuline and many other meds and never gets bite.

Some people don't get bites though, or at least don't have a reaction to them.
    Do you know if she had a reaction to bed bugs "before" she had diabetes? That is if she had bb's b4 she had diabetes.

7. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 14 2009 20:17:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Jason1 - 36 minutes ago  » 
    I find this VERY interesting. Could be onto something here.
    As we know, very LITTLE is known about bb, which is why they are so hard to control.
    Who knows, maybe they don't like the vacine for some reason? Or the virus itself.
    It may not be as crazy as it sounds. I mean, something is unusual here if suddenly the bites stopped once you got sick, and/or the H1N1 shot.

There is a wealth of knowledge of BBs. There are tomes written on them in the early 1900's and their biology is well defined.

All animals notice tainted food and avoid it. Even if it proved true that a certain temp fever deters BBs what good is that. Are you going to try and induce a, for example, 101F fever in yourself to avoid bites?

Hate to rain on your parade but there isn't a viable control down that path.

Jim

8. Jason1

banned

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 14 2009 20:50:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I was thinking more about the "vacine" that may have something to do with it.

I don't know, neither do you. Could be nothing. I just thought it was interesting.

Yes, lot's has been written about bb's, but still no silver bullet everyone that has them, can use to rid themselves of them, unlike most other pests.

Which means.....ALOT more needs to be learned about bb's, obviously!

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Oct 15 2009 0:13:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Other people who normally reacted to bites have mentioned not getting bites during a fever.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Oct 15 2009 13:49:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Could they be getting bit at work and the reprieve is from being away?

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  11. ghostbitten

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Oct 15 2009 14:27:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I can prove this. I was hospitalized last night until late today for a high fever (41.5°C) and my lab results said it's a mild case of H1N1. I haven't noticed any bites nor have any bugs come out anywhere near my desk or bed. My mom's the only one being bitten and I've now had my fever two days. I'll be keeping notes of when/if any bites show up, but as far as I know---when I saw myself being bitten once, I didn't actually show the "bite" or itchiness for almost a week, so any bites I find in the following days will probably be old ones as we were sprayed again last week.

12. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Oct 15 2009 15:16:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Could the body's reaction be supressed as it focuses on the disease?

13. bedwarrior

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Oct 15 2009 20:09:55
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 4 hours ago  » 

This is what I am thinking. Immune systems can be significantly modulated by infections. For example, there is a whole new branch of medical science evolving in the controlled use of microscopic, parasitic intestinal worms to dampen or even knock out various auto-immune conditions such as asthma, inflammatory bowel disease, and allergies. Perhaps the flu temporarily switches off the allergic reaction to bites in some individuals.

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 17 2009 16:10:38
    #

Login to Send PM

bedwarrior - 1 day ago  » 

cilecto - 4 hours ago  » 

This is what I am thinking.

This occurred to me as well.

15. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 17 2009 17:11:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I think Cilecto's idea is more likely. The immune system would be quite busy.

I wonder if Dr Lou, EffeCi, or anyone that keeps a colony can remember anything different when they were sick?

Also whether people with compromised immune systems notice a lack of reaction?

Jim

16. ruthven78

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 18 2009 3:34:07
    #

Login to Send PM

my family got sit before the exterminator came, my son's highest temp was 102.7 (came down significantly after tylenol), during the entire time he was sick he didnt get bit....I didnt have him tested but I doubt he had swine flu....and it seemed like his bites healed faster....so yeah, either the bugs know when to not bite or its a suppression of the immune system

17. Hmazzz

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Nov 17 2009 23:31:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I have heard from 2 reliable sources that Bed Bugs do not bite negative blood type, only positive. And I wonder if there are bed bugs in the hospitals? I have a friend that is a nurse and they thought a patient had brought bugs into the hospital, but had a dog sniff the room and detected none. Interesting.

18. bedbuggery

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 18 2009 0:25:04
    #

Login to Send PM

bedwarrior - 1 month ago  » 

cilecto - 4 hours ago  » 

This is what I am thinking. Immune systems can be significantly modulated by infections. For example, there is a whole new branch of medical science evolving in the controlled use of microscopic, parasitic intestinal worms to dampen or even knock out various auto-immune conditions such as asthma, inflammatory bowel disease, and allergies. Perhaps the flu temporarily switches off the allergic reaction to bites in some individuals.

That's very interesting. I'm not sure about the "tainted meat" theory as bedbugs seem pretty tenacious about getting fed. It's a wonderful fantasy the idea that maybe swine flu provides relief from BB's

Important to note that "BB bites" are tiny pinpricks and the itchy eruptions are your body overreacting and attacking itself. Why it doesn't seem to respond that way while you have a flu seems like a fascinating topic.

hhhhmmmmmm............

19. bait

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 18 2009 14:54:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I have heard from 2 reliable sources that Bed Bugs do not bite negative blood type, only positive.

Hello Hmazzz. What are your reliable sources?

Has anyone else ever heard of this?

20. BettyV4

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 18 2009 16:16:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Had the Swine Flu shot and got bit really bad. Sorry folks - not a solution

21. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 18 2009 16:28:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm, I am A -ve and they will happily feed from me, I do however not respond to bites.

I also think a complete blood transfusion, bone marrow replacement and genetic engineering is a little extreme even to avoid bed bug bites.

David

22. bedbuggery

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 18 2009 19:59:54
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL ^_^

maybe the solution would be to genetically enhance the next generation w/ negative blood to create a BB resistant race. Would also make blood donation a lot easier down the line

23. bait

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 18 2009 21:59:36
    #

Login to Send PM

But, genetic engineering of C. lectularius will be possible!

Nobugs, did we ever hear again from the individual that was working on the C. lect' genome?

24. JenniferD

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Dec 1 2014 6:20:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Swine flu is really hard and dangerous disease. Try to use this article about it's treatment:
    http://stop-flu.org/swine-flu-virus/swine-flu-treatment

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956