Clothes were near bed & infested wall

(7 posts)
  1. Bugsy04

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 16 2013 4:08:16
    #

Login to Send PM

So since I have many clothes that I hate to dry I tend to hang them up along my walls to air dry them. At the time I didn't know my wall by my bed (which is a fake wall my cheap landlord put up to convert a dining room into a pseudo bedroom) which has these small cracks and crevices in it had these little parasites hiding in it. I went on a vacation for several days leaving my clothes hanging and discovered the problem after I came back. I know I didn't pick up the bugs on my vacation because I unknowingly entered a house with bedbugs long before I left.

I put those clothes back in the closet (and probably others I dried between the first contact and the discovery) so my question is do I wash all my clothes now since I've seen numerous people recommending not to go that far? And if yes what do I do with the insane amount of delicate/line dry clothing and shoes? FYI I'm a broke college student about to begin a new semester and what could be going towards a Packtite is going towards books so right now that's not an option.

2. Alicew234

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Aug 17 2013 5:33:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Clothes have been the easiest thing to take care of so far. You don't even have to wash them (although if they were hanging close to the bed, I would. These things apparently poop pretty soon after they eat so there can be little black spots that ick! It's mostly made up of your own blood, if that helps!)

Just put them in a dryer on high heat. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but they only need about 10 minutes at high heat in an laundromat dryer and all the live ones will be dead. The eggs need more time to die- I think it's 20 minutes.

That's for clothes that are dry to start.

For my delicate stuff, I'm just soaking them in very hot (120 F) water and conducting visual inspections and keeping them in ziplock bags.
    And I've isolated stuff like silk, cashmere, ect. I will have to get them dry cleaned but I will wait until I'm bug free. (Don't worry! I'll warn the dry cleaners first. But why get them cleaned and then just reinfect them?)

I have spent almost $700 so far- mostly on plastic storage boxes- and it's only been a week. I do not know how you would do this with limited disposable income but I think many people do. Good luck!

3. Alicew234

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Aug 17 2013 5:51:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Look on the column on the right where it says Hello Bugsy. You have a private message!

4. DeterminedandTired

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Aug 17 2013 19:55:22
    #

Login to Send PM

You should dry the stuff that was hanging and a few items to each side of them.

My wall got infested too. I had fabric hanging on the wall that my pillow used to touch the bottom of. I also had a row of hanging clothes to the right of that- sweaters and sweatshirts- the edge of the fabric touched the last sweater. When I really started looking, I discovered bugs and nymphs all over the back of the fabric and on my sweaters.

What drives me nuts is that when I was dryer-sterilizing everything, twice I came up after 20 ish minutes and the dryer was stopped. I have no idea how long the stuff dried. Now I don't know if there are eggs (or now nymphs) in two of my clean bags. And I don't remember which bags that happened on.

What's interesting is that when I told the PCO that in two loads the dryer had stopped, he said not to worry about it. But if it takes 20 mins to kill the eggs.... ugh. This is $1.25 a load, it's not like it's a private dryer. So many rolls of quarters.

5. Bugsy04

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Aug 17 2013 21:35:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I know exactly what mean Determined! I've either got the laundromat or the single washer and dryer that's available for 10 units. It's expensive. But I caught the infestation early I think. The time between I visited that person who's house had them and the discovery was only about 2 weeks.

6. DeterminedandTired

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Aug 18 2013 13:26:56
    #

Login to Send PM

That's good news, Bugsy! It seems the name of the game here is inconvenience and expense in exchange for peace of mind. I am extremely busy, and this is extremely aggravating, but the less corners I cut, the more sure I will be.

Hang in there!

7. Alicew234

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Aug 19 2013 12:32:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Commercial dryers on high heat are supposed to go to 140. According to my new Bible, the Bed Bug Combat Manual- they will die- eggs and bugs- one minute after the temp hits 122.

ONE MINUTE! I think you allow extra time in the dryer for the dryer to warm up and cool down and I'll bet there's some heat disbursement engineering rules about cold spots but if the temp got up to 140, I'll bet the "cold spots" were pretty hot too.

You can't ever be 100% sure of anything. Embrace the uncertainty of life! (or you'll go nuts.)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982