Close Call or Hopeful Delusion?

(4 posts)
  1. ParanoidPatroller

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Oct 13 2016 19:47:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all! This forum has been an invaluable resource, so before I begin I must thank you all for that!

My tale of woe started last week. Wednesday morning, I woke up with some itchy red spots (one on each arm, and even on my nipple) but that's not too out of character. I have VERY sensitive skin, so I get odd rashes for all sorts of reasons, including kissing my boyfriend when he's gone a day without shaving.

But as the day progressed, the rashes got much, much worse; I'm talking half my arms was covered in painfully itchy, raised-edge red blotch. I had never experienced something so uncomfortable, honestly. Something was definitely not right.

I came home early from work (that's how bad it was) and on a wild hunch decided to check my mattress. BINGO. The dreaded poop smears of unwelcome house guests. I even managed to find an adult, swollen with my blood.

I killed it and stashed it in a bag for identification. I feared the worst, but hoped for the best.

The next morning I emailed the picture to a local exterminator company and they confirmed that what I had found was a bed bug. My building manager immediately sprung into action (bless him) and called the pest company they have on retainer to come for an inspection ASAP.

The next day I had a K9 detector and their handler inspect my place. After throughly upending my bed, they found no other evidence beyond what I had seen myself. No other bugs. No eggs. And she inspected the specimen I had found and told me it was male.

She left, telling me that she'd return her report to the parent company and they'd give their recommendation the following week (unfortunately it was Friday of a long weekend—the worst possible time!).

The next week (this week) I called first thing in the morning, and they told me that considering the evidence, they do not believe that I require further treatment. They believe it was just the lone male bug who had hitchhiked with me from somewhere public.

Now I am at a loss of what to do. They won't do a treatment as the province I live in requires live bugs or eggs to be found, and I just don't believe that I am that lucky—one bug, and that's it?

But, to be fair, I have:

1. …had no other bites (which would be obvious because I react poorly and immediately)
    2. …have found no other evidence (I take fastidious pictures of my mattress every night and compare to the night before to see if there are new poop stains)
    3. …they checked my neighbours as well, as per the building manager's request, and found nothing

TL;DR

I found one bed bug and the exterminators think it was loner/fluke and don't require treatment.

So what do you think? Am I really that "lucky"?
    What sort of things can I do to protect myself (other than the bed encasings that I already have)?
    And ow long will I have to wait until I know for sure that this was just a fluke?

Thanks for your time, and sorry for my verbosity.

2. misery

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Oct 13 2016 20:38:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I have found bugs within 30 days, every time. I know the time frame because every time I got them, it was moving into an already infested apartment. I would set up a monitoring system and keep checking those. I am not a professional and definitely get a pro opinion, but I would say you don't need to worry about waiting terribly long to know one way or the other. I really hope that you have a loner, and am crossing my fingers for you.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  3. ParanoidPatroller

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 2:50:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, misery. I hope so too, but we will see. A month seems like a reasonable time, I will remain vigilant. I have some glue traps (one with a scent lure) and will continue to monitor.

Do any pros have an idea of timelines, just to double check?
    And would DE be a good DIY prevention/barrier for the mean time?

4. BBNL

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 3:20:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a pro, but steaming crevices + DE couldn't hurt.

I got bit but hadn't seen any evidence, and my friends said to wait till I had evidence. F that! I had bb's before so I got right down to business with a steamer and a flashlight, and ended up finding a tiny little bb on my laptop bag.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,431 posts in 48,820 topics over 151 months by 21,437 of 21,839 members. Latest: bedbugtoronto, stinson, WendyW