Climbup Interceptors keep cracking.

(14 posts)
  1. crashed

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Sep 5 2009 6:00:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I'm not sure what to do. The climbup interceptors that I have on my bed keep getting huge cracks in the middle from the weight of my bed. They're obviously not all that effective with cracks in them, so what should I do?

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Sep 5 2009 10:51:34
    #

Login to Send PM

See if the devices carry any disclaimers re application and weight, then contact the manufacturer. This is a relatively new product and there may be undiscovered defects with it.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Sep 5 2009 11:11:57
    #

Login to Send PM

If you have thick carpet the full weight of the bed leg is going to punch the center of the climbup out eventually.

They are just plastic after all. Get a small piece of plywood the the climbup will sit 100% on and put that between the climbup and the carpet.

It will better distribute the bed weight and reduce any punch through.

If you have hardwood floors this concept doesn't apply.

Jim

4. MuchoInsano

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Sep 18 2009 13:09:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I was afraid of the interceptors cracking, so I purchased steel electrical covers from the hardware store. They are thin and only cost $0.37 each. See the photo set below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41842264@N06/3932249530/in/set-72157622280476139/

5. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Sep 18 2009 14:16:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Nice work. Just inspect them also later since depending the weight they can bend also but should greatly prolong your interceptor life.

Jim

6. fantastapotamus

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 5 2009 12:46:47
    #

Login to Send PM

great idea. I've been wondering about these and the quality / durability factor for them on berber carpet and now I have a way to extend their life.

also, the dimensions don't seem to be listed anywhere I've looked. they all talk about the max size for the post inside the inner well, but just how big are these things?

my main concern is that I've got a brand new 4 piece sectional, 16 legs to protect and there is only about 2.5 inches of clearance from the ground to the bottom of each piece of the couch. If the climbups are higher than that I may have to build an add on for the legs to make the couch high enough so these things are useful.

7. TheKnightRider

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 20 2010 20:31:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Using plywood underneath the plastic interceptor is a great idea for those with carpets. 6.5”to 7" pieces square plywood will do. Or cut them round so you don't stub your toes!
    Diameter of climbup insect interceptor is 6 1/8” wide.
    Inner wall is 4 ¼”
    Wall height is 1”
    Your legs of bed or couch must be 1.5" or longer, because interceptor wall height is 1”
    If the gauze underneath the bed or couch sags and touches the floor, bugs can crawl up. Pull it tight and staple it. I preferred to just remove the gauze under my couch.

At the bottom of my couch, the fabric wraps around underneath and is stapled near the couch legs. The material was stapled tight but it still puffed out a little and touched the top of the interceptor allowing bugs to climb straight up to the couch. My couch legs were 1.5 inches long, so I had to install 2” legs to fix the problem. I went to my local hardware store and picked up wooden 2 ‘square (cubes) legs for furniture. They had pre-drilled holes. The legs of my couch unscrewed, I used pilers to unscrew the 2” threaded bolts from the old legs and installed the new 2” square legs.
    Adult bed bugs can be almost ¼ inch long, so I recommend at least ½’ clearance from the top of the interceptor to the couch, or bed
    Keep couch pulled away from the wall and make sure any end tables or lamps don’t touch the side of your couch.

8. BedBugPanic

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 13 2010 14:13:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I know this is an older post, but for those of you who have used the interceptors with something solid underneath them so that they don't crack because of the carpet/weight issue, how long did your climbups last before breaking and did it the object beneath the interceptors compromise the use of the interceptors?

Any information would be much appreciated.

9. Callisto

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 13 2010 14:19:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I've only been using them for a few weeks, so the lifetime question I can't answer, but they haven't cracked yet.

I've got 1/4" thick disks of wood under mine and they sink completely into the carpet under the weight of the furniture, so the bottom of the climbups are still in contact with the ground. Since one of the ones on my futon still caught a bug, I can safely say this hasn't compromised their effectiveness ^_^. The only annoying thing is that the climbups tend to slide around on the disks, so I have to be careful that they don't move off.

Edit: My disks have a 4" diameter, so they only support the centre well and don't stretch to the edge

10. BedBugPanic

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Sep 18 2010 13:48:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the response, Callisto! I just bought 4" in diameter steel electrical plates, which are thin as well... will be setting that up tomorrow while I'm doing the whole vacuum, wash sheets, inspect room routine. I did have a few interceptors that "bottomed out" on me so to speak, but the company where I bought them from were nice enough to ship me replacement ones for free, after I wrote to them about the issue (I did not know at the time that if it's a carpeted area, that this was a common occurrence).

So far, the only bugs I have caught in them are spiders, one silverfish, a carpet beetle larva, and a few plaster beetles (about 1mm in size but when I looked at them under my magnifying glass, the body was long and there were vertical lines along the lower half). I hope to never find a bb in there...

11. O Buggery

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Sep 18 2010 15:50:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Incidental note for those of you using steel disks to support the ClimbUps:
    Be sure to inspect them once or twice a year or so for rust. The galvanized steel shouldn't have any problem for several years, but you'll want to catch it before it stains the carpet.

12. BedBugPanic

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 19 2010 15:24:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the heads up O Buggery! I'll ensure to check them for rust on a fairly regular basis. Callisto, I also found that using the same type of tape used on the outer edges of the Climb Up (medical tape) to anchor the plate underneath prevents the pieces from shifting around

13. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 19 2010 22:31:27
    #

Login to Send PM

What I did was put duct tape underneath the cracked areas - no escapees and the tape will not affect the effectiveness - this is until I can get them replaced.

14. BedBugPanic

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 24 2010 14:01:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I also have another question... since I have placed the metal disks under the interceptors... my bed legs move around more (they have the wheel at the bottom) does the moving around pose any problem in the effectiveness of the climb up? I know it won't affect the outer well, but I was wondering about the inner one..

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,273 posts in 50,155 topics over 155 months by 21,924 of 22,420 members. Latest: duracell, Parawail, Quiltergirl