Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Climb-up success?

(22 posts)
  1. OutOutDarnBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 27 2009 8:23:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Has anyone had success with finding bugs in your Climb-Up Indicators? Just out of curiosity...

2. KILL_ALL_BEDBUGS

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 27 2009 10:32:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been using them for about a month, I have yet to catch one, although I have a small infestation and usually get bitten at my desk rather than in bed

3. OutOutDarnBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 27 2009 17:23:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting... anyone else get results?

4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 27 2009 17:57:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I used them for an adjoining apartment that was infested. No complaints of bites from the tenant in that unit. After one week I went back in to inspect the monitors and found 3 dead bed bugs in the climb up, so yes, they work. I have also been able to find both bird and rodent mites inside them from clients who had 6 to 8 months of bed bug treatments from other companies. After inspecting a few clients like this I have found that mites have been biting them all along and they never had a bed bug problem.

I have a client I'm following up with this Wednesday who was finally treated for the right parasite. She has been bite free for 3 weeks now.

5. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 0:44:08
    #

Login to Send PM

i've had them on the beds in my house for about a month and a half now. so far nothing! (knock on wood). having stayed in a hotel two months ago that i'm fairly sure had bedbugs (there were blood spots and bites) i'm hoping that this means that i'm in the clear. if i had caught them from the hotel it would have been my second (independent) infestation in two years. yikes.

thanks killerqueen, it's reassuring to know that they do work. i think that i will be leaving them on my bed (and spare bed) indefinately so that i have a good shot at catching any stray bb that finds its way into my home in the future.

having said that, i now feel the pressing need to go and check all of my interceptors...

6. DrFrank

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 1:02:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Has anyone ever found a live bed bug in a Climb-Up interceptor? I think a video of one of them trying (and failing) to get out would go a long way toward instilling confidence.

Especially considering this post, although I can't tell from the OP if the "outer ring" was the inner wall of the outer ring or the outer wall of the outer ring.

7. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 7:46:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I have used them and have heard reports from people who have and they are certainly a good tool in the battle especially at $56 for a dozen. Lot cheaper than a CDC 3000 or Nightwatch.

8. de-selftreat

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 20:40:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Quite a few people on these boards must use climb-ups, I'd like to hear more reports. $56 a dozen is still very expensive for bits of plastic, so they should work!
    Also, I was wondering whether the talc inside should actually be replaced with DE? It would seem to make sense (not that I have bought any Climb-Ups).

9. wirehead

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 22:40:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Ours seem to repel them, as I'm no longer being bitten in bed, but I haven't found any bugs in the traps. After I put the traps on, they started biting me during the day, mostly biting my feet in the bathroom just after I got up in the morning. (The good news is, I feel it, so I then get to kill the offending bug.)

We have a relatively light infestation, though, and I haven't checked the traps under the bed, just the ones at the edges (we have a queen-sized bed that has 4 legs at the corners and 2 beneath, and I can't see into the middle ones without lifting the whole mattress off). So it's entirely possible there are a few in there.

I can report with certainty that they're doing an excellent job of isolating the bed, but I'm not totally convinced of their success as *traps*. Since it comes out to less than 5 bucks per trap I say they're completely worth it, just keep in mind that if you have bugs already, they won't be the only thing you need -- but they do help. One more weapon for the arsenal.

10. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 29 2009 7:26:13
    #

Login to Send PM

As you note they are not a solution but a monitor. If you don't know and you catch some now you know. If you have BBs and you start control measures they are like Ed Koch "how my doing". As far as DE is concerned, that would make them a pesticide device and require registration and additional expense on the part of the manufacturer/distributor and on down the line. On another note did you ever tear a mattress label off when you got it home and it was yours?

11. DrFrank

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 29 2009 11:10:05
    #

Login to Send PM

The question remains: Do live, healthy bed bugs actually become trapped in the monitors, or is it just the weak? In other words, does the efficacy of the monitors depend significantly on whether or not some form of insecticide has been used?

12. OutOutDarnBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 30 2009 13:20:34
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen, in the apartment where you put the interceptors and found bugs, did you already do a chemical treatment for bed bugs?

I've found other things in my interceptors: a baby cockroach, a spider beetle and a regular spider. So I know things get trapped in there (the only thing that was alive was the regular spider). And it sounds like from KQ's post that things do, in fact, get trapped even when there's not treatment for that pest (i.e. the bird and rodent mites that were found when the client was treated for bed bugs).

13. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 30 2009 13:35:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Wang, Gibb and Bennett (2009) did a study on integrated pest management using passive monitors almost exactly like the climb up interceptor. they divided their test subjects into two groups, apartments that were treated with pesticide sprays and apartments that were treated with dusts (not sure if it was drione or diatomaceous earth. i seem to recall it was DE). both types of apartments routinely caught bedbugs in the monitors (placed under the legs of beds and couches), often in scenarios where the residents thought that the bugs were gone.

in which case (if it was DE) then yes, they can catch bedbugs without chemical treatment.

but can they catch bugs without chemical treatment OR DE? that i don't know.

check out the article here:
    http://www-rci.rutgers.edu/~insects/BedbugIPMJMEntomol.pdf

14. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 30 2009 18:11:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Live healthy insects have been trapped in apartments that have not been treated.

15. DrFrank

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jul 31 2009 1:15:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Winston O. Buggy. Was this your own experience? Or did you read about it somewhere?

16. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jul 31 2009 8:16:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Witnessed it heard about it from primary and secondary sources.

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jul 31 2009 11:04:00
    #

Login to Send PM

lil_bit,

The ClimbUp was proven in research studies to catch live bed bugs *as is* -- with the talc they come with (which can be topped up as needed).

The manufacturer notes you can add a light dusting of DE (if you want to kill them) but this is not necessary.

Links to study data in the Climbup FAQ.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  18. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jul 31 2009 23:13:00
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks nobugs! i may have read that at some point but my brain is foggy these days...

19. surrounded

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Aug 2 2009 15:13:21
    #

Login to Send PM

i caught termite nymphs, and a tiny catarpiller thing, all alive.

20. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Aug 3 2009 9:02:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep kinda like a pit fall trap. Ask a doodlebug?

21. never_again

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Aug 23 2009 10:52:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been using them for 3 weeks and so far no BB. Just checked them, no BB, but i have what looks like 2 bites on the same arm of the last questionable bites. I have found many bugs that look like and move slow (when they are alive) like spider beetles. I find them everywhere, i'm thinking i'll post a picture to make sure i'm not mistaken. I've also seen a very tiny white bug that seems to jump around, I havn't been able to catch one, but is it possible that these are mites that could be biting me?

22. Dcajv

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 17 2011 14:02:59
    #

Login to Send PM

So climb ups have to removed and washed and new talc applied every 3 weeks or can I just add some talc with a cotton ball while they are still on the beds? I have had mine on for 3 weeks after the house was chemically treated 4 times and i have not caught anything I can see so far.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,771 posts in 50,035 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,359 members. Latest: questioning_bugger, Mikayah, maybeebedbugs