(36 posts)
  1. ESA

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Apr 3 2007 11:20:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Classic Bed Bug Book Now Available in Paperback

Lanham, MD; April 2, 2007 – “Monograph of Cimicidae,” the definitive resource on bed bugs, has been reprinted by the Entomological Society of America (ESA). As bed bug problems have grown in the United States and abroad, so has interest in this hard-to-find book, which sells for hundreds of dollars in online auctions. The newly published paperback version is now available to ESA members for $59.00 and to non-members for $74.00, including shipping within the continental U.S.

First published in 1966, this classic text by Robert L. Usinger covers the feeding habits, ecology, disease transmission, control, morphology, anatomy, physiology, embryology, cytology, systematics, and taxonomy of the insect family Cimicidae, which includes human bed bugs. The 585-page book is divided into 14 chapters, and it features photographs and illustrations of both adult and immature Cimicids, treating 74 species arranged in 22 genera and 6 subfamilies. “Monograph of Cimicidae” (ISBN 0-9776209-2-1) is a valuable resource for entomologists, epidemiologists, ecologists and pest-control professionals.

To order, call 301-731-4535, extension 3009; send email to sales@entsoc.org; or download an order form at http://www.entsoc.org/orderform.htm.

Only 250 copies were issued for this reprinting.

Founded in 1889, ESA is a non-profit organization committed to serving the scientific and professional needs of more than 5,700 entomologists and individuals in related disciplines. ESA's membership includes representatives from educational institutions, government, health agencies, and private industry. For more information, visit http://www.entsoc.org or write to sro@entsoc.org.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Apr 3 2007 11:24:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey ESA,
    Any discounts for us Bedbuggers? Most of us don't feel inclined to join the ESA because our only interest in bugs is to get them out of our homes, period!
    Thanks,

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Apr 3 2007 11:55:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I know our ESA member will let us know about some of the good stuff ... right ESA member?????????

4. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Apr 3 2007 16:34:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I want that book. Am I sick or what? I can't even afford it. I just want to know as much as I can about the enemy, look them in their beady little eyes.

5. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Apr 3 2007 18:30:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes! You are sick! (Do you think we'll be able to understand it?)

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Apr 3 2007 19:10:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I think we will, Nomo.
    But I think most of us are too broke with the whole replacing stuff and paying PCOs and all, to afford a $75 book.

7. bbwarrior

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Apr 3 2007 22:46:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, are the bugs we have even the same type? Has the book been updated or does it matter to us, obcessed as we are with everything bed bug! These buggers are getting resistant to a lot of chems, so says my PCO. (I feel like a hypocondriac talking about my Dr.'s here, who knew I'd be on a first name basis with my exterminator!)

8. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Apr 4 2007 8:37:13
    #

Login to Send PM

This drives me crazy. Bedbugs can't even read. No way are my bedbugs thinking of buying a $75 book about ...yet, with their poppy-seed-sized brains, they still are beating me.

9. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Apr 4 2007 15:11:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I have another idea. I think the bedbug issue is about to explode. I'll buy 10 books now(for $75 each) and then, when the 250 they've printed are sold out, sell my copies on eBay for $150 each. I have to make money on bedbugs somehow.

10. u2dan

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Apr 4 2007 15:21:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Parakeets, You mean your bedbugs cant read?? Pshhhaaa mine totally can. They read my mind and then i squash them when they fall for it teehee.

11. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2007 8:14:57
    #

Login to Send PM

u2dan: Yup, my bedbugs can read, too. There must be huge signs plastered all over my body that they are reading: "Bite Here," "Stop and Eat", "Get your Blood Meal Here," "Eat at 'Keets," "Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner Served 24 hours a day" ....

12. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2007 9:17:15
    #

Login to Send PM

ooooh keets ... that's as gross as what I said about the bug that laid three eggs in
    my armpit--but its true. GOOD MORNING!

13. nightshirt

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2007 9:35:25
    #

Login to Send PM

oh my

14. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2007 13:07:31
    #

Login to Send PM

And a bedbug once bit me on my gum--I swear!

(A lady in a nursing home said she was bitten inside her mouth while she was sleeping but no one believed her. I did. It happened to me, too. Warning: Never sleep completely covered up if you sleep with your mouth open.)

15. S

Bite Researcher

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2007 13:47:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh parakeets, your "signs" made me laugh so much. It's so terrible, but so true. "Best Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner in Town!" "Last Meal for Twenty Feet!"

Also, my signs obviously say "More Delicious Than The Guy In The Bed" and "He's Not Worth It, Go For Her!"

16. Bugalina

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2007 14:00:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Keets and S..you make me laugh...that's too funny Last meal for 20 ft...all of them..very very funny..

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2007 19:06:29
    #

Login to Send PM

How about a few tips? "Bite the uncovered feet. Really. Don't bother crawling under the leggings--it is way too much trouble. Trust me, Ci..."

18. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2007 20:19:12
    #

Login to Send PM

use a mouthguard

19. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2007 20:36:23
    #

Login to Send PM

"I steamed some of my art books today--and I steamed some paperbacks. (ON TOPIC) I did the chair, that was rather revealing, and then I steamed some of the molding,
    Six cups of H20 and, say, 4-5 ounces of dust better placed and more strategically than tragically located than I had in the past. I also got the computer steamed and dusted--and then, when it almost exploded when I turned it back on: I said "F" it and I went down to the club and had a few martinis with the girls."

"How was your day honey?"

The above is an excerpt is from my soon to be released Romance BAPERBACK novel to be called "I'm Steaming the Floors Over You," as sung by,
    "Pasty no longer on Line-Cline dot pooh".

BTW--I'm dedicating it to the fan club growing as slowly as possible in my room.
    (They just won't let me do my work, can't seem to keep their little suction cups off me ...
    Seriously--All you guys are sooooo funny, or I should say ladies. I was thinking of all of this fun stuff above, while cleaning. Made it all sooo much easier. THX.

20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2007 20:40:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Actually, Willow, I think we've all completely gone off topic. ;-)\

Y'all act like new topic threads cost money. They don't! They're absolutely free and (unlike all that free stuff on the curb) don't spread bed bugs.

Hee hee.

21. bbwarrior

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2007 22:34:22
    #

Login to Send PM

nobugs
    It's hard to stay on topic when we are all so EMOTIONALLY involved here! After a few sentences ON TOPIC we throw out our life lines and WA-LA! Rescued!

22. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2007 23:22:34
    #

Login to Send PM

i know-- i get off topic too.

i am just in a goodnatured way saying, start a new thread anytime you _want_ to.

23. S

Bite Researcher

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Apr 23 2007 11:28:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey guys, this is about the original thread - the book.

My PCO, Andy, has a copy of the new paperback. He actually has two. I guess he's a member of the ESA. Anyway, he shared a page with me that I found immensely interesting. I had him photocopy it when I was at his office last week.

It's a chart, describing the "Longevity of once-fed C. lectularius and C. hemipterus at various temperatures and 70-75% relative humidity." I'll only list the numbers for C. lectularius, since I believe that's the species of bedbug most of us are dealing with.

These numbers are basically, how long the bugs can live, at various life stages, at various temperatures. The numbers are all in "days."

Stage: 10 deg Celsius 18 deg Celsius 27 deg Celsius 37 deg Celsius
    1 274.6 113.6 27.8 16.8
    2 398.9 171.1 45.6 30.4
    3 412.7 214.4 71.2 35.3
    4 432.5 234.1 73.3 37.2
    5 484.9 161.4 39.5 32.6
    Adult Female 425.0 277.1 86.7 31.9
    Adult Male 401.9 175.6 43.4 28.6

So, isn't that amazing? There are so many interesting things here.

Female adults always live longer than male adults.

The longest-living stage is actually 5th instar, not adult. But it says that it can only live 484.9 days, which is just over 16 months. So I think 18 months is a safe bet for anyone leaving stuff in storage.

Also, isn't it crazy how as the temperature gets warmer, they die so much faster? I think that heat is the bedbug's worst enemy. People say that heat makes them breed faster, but I think that's just because they know they're going to die sooner.

If your storage is not climate-controlled, and it's summer, and it gets up to 27 C (81 F), your bugs could die within 86 days, or about three months.

Oh, and FYI, 10 C = 50 degrees Fahrenheit, 18 C = 65 degrees Fahrenheit, 27 C = 81 degrees Fahrenheit, and 37 C = 99 degrees Fahrenheit.

Finally, in case anyone's interested, the C. Lectularius almost always lives longer than the C. Hemipterus. There are a couple stages where the hemipterus can live longer, but for the most part, our lovely friends are the most persistent variety.

24. S

Bite Researcher

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Apr 23 2007 11:29:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry that chart didn't format the way I intended. Just read the numbers across, and they correspond with the different temperatures (10 degrees C, 18, 27, 37).

25. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Apr 23 2007 13:09:24
    #

Login to Send PM

S. I am not seeing your posts listed at all in here as of yet either.

Maybe my posting something too--will "revitalize" this thread. Who knows...? Since everything you post is usually so well organized and relevant, as soon as I saw your post in the "green sticky" Now dated as being posted “1 hour ago” I thought I'd have a look-see. So I’m posting this—and am now curious to know what I will see on my monitor after I post it.
    Let’s see … I would also like to know more about that classic paperback book so that’s a good enough reason for me to post this. Did anyone get it? Can you or can anyone give us a short review about what’s inside the classic book?

And this is a follow up
    S ... Since I can still edit this post—as I am the last poster--I tell you I hit the refresh button and that brought the thread up to the top of the list. Maybe that will help you too?

FYI--I have noticed if I leave something sit too long in a thread without actually posting it—(and if a few other posts are made it that thread, my post either gets lost or as more recently occurred in the "bite spectacular" on the blog it gets spammed

26. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Apr 23 2007 14:40:23
    #

Login to Send PM

S, I am not sure why your post was flagged as spam, but this happens sometimes. No bugs

27. S

Bite Researcher

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Apr 23 2007 14:44:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey guys, I can see my posts now - can you? It currently says they were posted 3 hours ago.

Willow, it looks like maybe you did actuallly "revitalize" this thread. Clever! (Though I have no idea how or why that worked!)

(Edit) Nobugs, can you see my posts now?

28. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Apr 23 2007 15:18:36
    #

Login to Send PM

oh gawd ... we need this translated i'm sorry sounds like good news though

29. S

Bite Researcher

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Apr 23 2007 15:39:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Willow, I'll try to translate. Here's the first line of the chart:

A first instar nymph, which is Life Stage 1, can live 274.6 days without a meal when the temperature is 50 degrees Fahrenheit. The same first instar nymph can only live 113.6 days without a meal when it is 65 degrees. And only 27.8 days when it is 81 degrees. And only 16.8 days when it is 98 degrees.

A second instar nymph, which is Life Stage 2, can live 398.9 days without a meal when the temperature is 50 degrees Fahrenheit. The same second instar nymph can only live 171.1 days without a meal when it is 65 degrees. And only 45.6 days when it is 81 degrees. And only 30.4 days when it is 98 degrees.

Etc.

Does that make sense now? The hotter it gets, the sooner they die?

30. S

Bite Researcher

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Apr 23 2007 15:41:18
    #

Login to Send PM

(Sorry for all these posts).

In other words, what this book is saying, is that the rule of "Bedbugs can live 18 months without a meal" is not UNIVERSALLY TRUE. It's mainly true of older bugs, at cooler temperatures. But younger bugs die sooner than older bugs. And heat shortens their lifespan as well (as long as they are without a meal).

This is mainly heartening for folks with stuff in 18-month storage.

31. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Apr 23 2007 18:34:07
    #

Login to Send PM

ARRRRF! @ confused dot com
    THERES GOT TO BE A PILL DEVELOPED WE CAN TAKE TO MAKE THE BLOOD UNAPEALING OR DEADLY TO THEM BUT HARMLESS TO US
    I'LL BET SEAN AND LOU ARE ROLLING OVER IN STITCHES AT THAT ONE!

32. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Apr 23 2007 18:39:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I GOT THE NYMPHAL IDEA--COLDER IS NOT BETTER
    But I also understand that the adults lay fewer eggs the colder it gets less than 50 degrees F.
    Well now this really puts a cog in the wheels now doesn't it?

If I were me ... Which I am ... And if I had control over my heat and it was a very cold
    winter, I'd jack the heat up to 100 and then I turn it off and open up all of the windows 3 times every day to confuse those damned bugs as much as they confuse me!

33. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Apr 23 2007 18:50:51
    #

Login to Send PM

S and Willow:

Clarification:
    S's posts were not here because they went into the spam filter. Not sure what triggered it, but it is not a bug. If you ever notice something not posting, email me and be patient since this may be why.

Re: bumping up:
    Any new message posted to a topic bumps it to the top of the list of topics. S's post did not bump it up since hers went into spam. Willow's did because it posted.

Hope that helps!

34. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Dec 10 2007 0:53:50
    #

Login to Send PM

willow-the-wisp said:

"I also understand that the adults lay fewer eggs the colder it gets less than 50 degrees F.
    Well now this really puts a cog in the wheels now doesn't it?

If I were me ... Which I am ... And if I had control over my heat and it was a very cold
    winter, I'd jack the heat up to 100 and then I turn it off and open up all of the windows 3 times every day to confuse those damned bugs as much as they confuse me!"

HAHAHAHA!!! this made me laugh so much...

35. muddy

Banned

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2009 7:22:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm going to bump this as an important variable that confounds the exponential growth theory--apart from steaming, vacuuming, host being unavailable for supper for long periods of time (up to 35 days). In a top floor flat, that gets uncomfortably hot in summer months, I can only guess at the sort of attrition this would cause. Variables, bloody confounding things.

36. surrounded

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2009 8:59:51
    #

Login to Send PM

thank god for scientists who spend years experimenting on nasty little bugs. That chart is awesome. My apt is never really below 60 degrees, as the steam heat is overactive in the winter, and its probably 75 or above in the summer. So all those bags I sealed up last November, should be safe pretty soon. I put them next to the radiator, so it was pretty roasty all winter. I still won't open them till I get a K9 inspection to sniff inside each one, though.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,680 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982