Cimexa for 2weeks

(13 posts)
  1. 13cookies

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat Mar 2 2019 18:46:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi-long time lurker and new time poster. So time to tell my story....And this is going to be a book

I'm going to be a long story (sorry) so I'll start at the present, and if you want to continue reading after this you can. I finally decided my only salvation would/will be heat treatment, which seems to be the best solution. I don't want the chemicals and I'm not too impressed with "not success"stories of chemical and spray treatment anyways-it seems the bugs always come back and in short order. For me, it involves saving about another month or two worth of money I don't have anyways, but maybe if I can get my life back it is a good investment. In the mean time I have to get some kind of control. In especially the past month I was experiencing/seeing 1-2 live bugs daily, and getting bit every night. This is on my couch. I live alone most of the time (kids home from college in summer). My problem is most certainly in my living room and I sleep on the couch. I am not naïve and know they cannot possibly ONLY be in that room, but if they want to eat-that's where they have to come. That is probably the only smart thing I did-was not change my sleeping area. I purchased a Dupray Neatsteam off of Amazon-it was about $200. The temp certainly is high enough to kill them, and honestly I just love this thing. If you love to clean-you will too. It was a good investment for cleaning regardless of bedbugs. I also ordered Cimexa, which is quite cheap. I decided I was not going to get overwhelmed-which is quite easy to do, and concentrated on this area (living room where I am sleeping) and then move on to other rooms as time allows (time has not allowed btw lol). I accepted that I am going to use myself as bait. Nothing to lose-I'm bait anyways after all. 15 days ago I steamed the whole room, aside from my cherry tables. I steamed the hardwood floors. I was thorough in ripping linings off couch, loveseat, chair and ottoman. I felt pretty good about it (just steaming) but when I sat down on the couch about an hour later there were two live bugs. This only attest that a steamer alone will not kill them all. You simply can't reach them ALL. The next day (I wanted to make sure everything was completely dry) I used the Cimexa. I had ordered [2]4oz bottles. I had watched videos of treatment and a puffer is recommended. Some people had used makeup brushes or paint brushes. I dumped a bit in a Tupperware bowl and used a soft paint brush. I found this method easy and well controlled. I wore gloves but not a mask. I would not want to use this without gloves-it is very drying. I'm sure if you have respitory problems you certainly need a mask, but this method didn't upkick much dust. Also, it does not sound like much-but a little goes a very long way-no need to buy a bucket or anything. I have an 1800 square foot house, not counting the basement, and I am fairly sure I can use this on the rest thoroughly (at least the way I used it) but if I do the basement I will probably have to buy more. . I flipped the couches and chairs over and followed directions to the letter. I put it in all the folds of my couch, and anywhere that was basically visable. It was really almost too easy. I "painted" EVERYTHING, sure to leave only a light dusting. I did ALL of the furniture-end tables and all, inside the drawers, at the legs-everything. This stuff is like baby powder. You don't feel like you are doing it right really-and again-almost too easy. I can see a faint lighter color around the couch on the hardwood where I dusted, but otherwise I wouldn't know it was there. I also did around electical outlets and around my windows and blinds and the edges of area rugs-I have not done baseboards which is stupid-but I ran out of time and hoped for the best. By day 5, I was feeling defeated. I was still having bites (though less) and still finding live ones. Besides, I'm getting lazy now-I'm so sick of cleaning, vacuuming, and washing and drying. I was having my doubts I did this right, but I just knew I had done it exactly as instructed, and resisted the urge to start over and left it all alone. Day by day, I stopped seeing any live bugs-so definitely a week in after treatment (7 days-and it was less with each before that), and bites were becoming less frequent. Now at Day 14 (an agonizing 2 weeks) I have not had bites for 3 days. I have not seen any live bugs for 5 days. I also have found only one dead bug-but I've never been able to find a "nest" or anything-which sucks because I would love to kill a swarm of them at once-it would be so satisfying. I don't know if this is my solution, but after 2 weeks, I certainly feel a little more optimistic. I have read numerous stories that Cimexa solved problems INSTANTLY-but I don't believe it. I think that it works in time, and you have to be patient. If it keeps working the way it has for me after 2 weeks I may spare myself $2000-but I will not be that optimistic yet. I'm just saying for right now-this stuff is working, and I can see an improvement.-but you have to be patient and be strategic. If you are like me, what's another 2 weeks worth of bites? I knew as thorough as I was the bedbugs would have to go in or out of the Cimexa-and eventually die.. It is tedious and exhausting. I am exhausted. I am a clean person. I make decent- to many-very good money. This can happen to anybody.

I cannot tell yo enough how much this forum has meant to me and keeping my sanity Thank you all, and David.

So now the beginning of my story-if you need a testament to what DOES not work. .In May of 2018 I discovered A-as in singular-ONE-bedbug. I had not had any bites. I had been sleeping on the couch for months to help stabilize a shoulder injury as I slept without tossing and turning and making it worse. I was taking the blanket off of the couch to wash it and I as I unfolded-there it was. I work in a large hospital and had had several patients come in with bedbugs, so I knew exactly what I was looking at-and likely exactly how I brought them into my home as well, though I thought I had always been really careful. Proceeded to tear apart the couch and my bedroom (not sleeping in there but of course where my clothes land) and found 2 babies on the bedskirt. Though I had squashed the first big one into oblivion I had the forethought at least to keep those two to help identify. I found no feces, black spots or any other evidence.
    Like everybody else I immediately jumped online to do some research. I concluded that I needed to call an exterminator pronto-there really are not a ton of success stories as disheartening as it is. I had 2 exterminators come within days for quotes and advice. They both identified them as bedbugs. Like me, neither could find any evidence otherwise. They both (couldn't decide who I was going to use yet) left me an extensive list of things to do to prepare for treatment. It really is a huge list, a lot of work, and frankly overwhelming. And that is when I thought-if I'm going to do ALL of this, then I'm going to figure out a way to beat these suckers myself. After all, besides the treatment itself (which after reading tons of stories may still not work anyways) I'm doing the hard work anyways. Why pay? And it seemed at the time I probably had a mild case. I deep cleaned, decluttered, and first used the RAID spray as welI as 91% alcohol in a spray bottle. I bagged clothes-washed and dried, took down drapes, and proceeded to live out of garbage bags rotating- between dirty/clean. So So exhausting. After the first use of RAID, about 3 days later, they came at me and that's when I first started seeing evidence of bites. I don't have a terrible reaction, but you could see the mosquito bite looking bumps, and I just had a general feeling itchy, especially on my back. So no more RAID. Through the summer I continued on my deep cleaning, and my niece home from college never got bit-clothes washing, spraying alcohol cycle and experienced an occasional bite. Thought I had it beat and had gotten frankly lazy until around the holidays and started seeing actual live bugs, even in the day, and getting bit every night. I started the same previous cleaning cycle again, this time with little success...so here I am. I hopefully can save you a little trouble. After many months of trying this on my own, and after only finding one bug initially-it doesn't work. You can be in denial like me and think you can tackle it-and that is a little infestation-but it isn't going to work. The Cimexa seems to be working, but

2. Leila

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Mar 3 2019 15:10:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your share. For us its the same decline of bites after 4-5 days with cimexa.
    I didn’t wear a mask because i thought it was ok/ but i do have a cough since we started cimexa and DE. The particels are fine. I ve always waited to renter room more then 4 h and still its airborn.
    Fingers crossed it will work out.

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Mar 3 2019 20:48:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Leila - 5 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for your share. For us its the same decline of bites after 4-5 days with cimexa.
    I didn’t wear a mask because i thought it was ok/ but i do have a cough since we started cimexa and DE. The particels are fine. I ve always waited to renter room more then 4 h and still its airborn.
    Fingers crossed it will work out.

Fine powder and DE has a small percentage of crystalline silica while CimeXa dust does not, only amorphous silica dioxide. Application is not supposed to be so it's visible. If applied as crack & crevice, you shouldn't have airborne dust. You will have airborne dust no matter how long you stay out of the room if you apply too much.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. Leila

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Mar 4 2019 2:14:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Loubugs: do you think its better to dust with makeup brush bed feet- orelse mix it with wtaer so it sticks better? can it be brushed dry onto vertical surfaces like bed feet and other furniture legs?

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Mar 4 2019 5:29:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Leila - 3 hours ago  » 
    Loubugs: do you think its better to dust with makeup brush bed feet- orelse mix it with wtaer so it sticks better? can it be brushed dry onto vertical surfaces like bed feet and other furniture legs?

It's (CimeXa) best when left dry; DE cakes up when wet. CimeXa isn't sticking better because wet. The water mixture is just a way to get it to places where a water spray is used as the vehicle. Why bother putting on vertical surfaces when bed bugs will be on adjoining horizontal surfaces so the dust is fine there? The bed bugs have to pass through it when it's on the horizontal surfaces.

6. 13cookies

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Mar 4 2019 18:46:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I really didn't have a problem with dust particles or it remaining in the air. That's just my experience. I also have mostly cherry furniture, dark leather couches and really thought you would be able to see it on darker wood and furniture -but like I said-you wouldn't even know it was there-which is really pleasing. Who wants to explain why you have powder over everything? I can see a hazy light color over the hardwood around the front of the couch-I think I likely applied to much there initially but I went back over to make sure its not like an actual layer of powder. I hope you continue to have good luck!

And again-I really appreciate this forum. Everybodys stories, successes and even failures are the only reason I have any sanity left. I know I'm not alone!

7. Iwantmylifeback

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Mar 4 2019 19:01:29
    #

Login to Send PM

These are my thoughts 13cookies .I feel the same .aUsibg Cimexa .From the begging of my infestations (when I had discovered them )I used DE and sprinkle it everywhere also inside my bedroom’s dresser drawers metal trucks .On Saturday I finally cleaned out the DE and replaced it with Cimexa ,but Ihave been using it also in cracks and Crevices .Fighting those monster since July (when discovered them )but who knows maybe they have been around longer that that .Do you use any spray or just called PCO?Thank you and best luck to you .

8. 13cookies

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Mar 4 2019 19:26:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Iwantmylifeback - 2 minutes ago  » 
    These are my thoughts 13cookies .I feel the same .aUsibg Cimexa .From the begging of my infestations (when I had discovered them )I used DE and sprinkle it everywhere also inside my bedroom’s dresser drawers metal trucks .On Saturday I finally cleaned out the DE and replaced it with Cimexa ,but Ihave been using it also in cracks and Crevices .Fighting those monster since July (when discovered them )but who knows maybe they have been around longer that that .Do you use any spray or just called PCO?Thank you and best luck to you .

I really did call the exterminators from the get go, but wasn't comfortable with the prices or the work involved for myself with both only offering 30 day gaurentee. Also it was almost a year ago so I don't remember details but I know one did involve 3 treatments and the other was more shady. I would be more comfortable now after reading so much and especially on this forum-like what to ask them, treatment type ect-so even though its been hell-Im glad I didn't get professional treatment right away. I think they would have come back in no time due to my lack of knowledge.

But I haven't used any sprays besides the initial Raid-which seemed like a mistake. It seems like there are many recommended good ones on here-but I just went with Cimexa to possibly get some relief until I can afford treatment. My initial post was on Saturday-and I did get a bite that night (first in 3 days) but none since then. I still haven't seen any live bugs-which was becoming everyday. Today-at day 16-I went to work feeling so good. No itchy scratchy skin, and a restful nights sleep. I almost forgot what it felt like! Like I said- it requires patience-but I'm really starting to believe in this stuff! I wish I had just started with it from the get go Good luck to you as well!

9. Leila

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Mar 11 2019 1:46:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Cimexa has worked great for us as a barrier. When i take it away i get bitten immidiatly.
    I assume its to heavely applied so they dont go threw it.
    And just stay put - wait it out.
    I wish there was a spray gun like with aprehend that sprays the exact amount - so they are not deterred and actually walk through it.
    Also i need to be able to spray rectangle on ceiling above beds - so if they drop down they drop down already infected and join the others and infect them.
    I guess i only get that with the aprehend.
    They walk up beams and drop down on us.
    we have vaulted ceilings very low to very high.
    Place the bed on the lower vaulted side = lots of bites
    Place the bed under 4m vault = less bites .
    Seems like they are more inclined to drop down from a lower vault.
    Like the spray DE exists a spray cimexa ready to use would be great!

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Mar 11 2019 2:04:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Spray DE stopped working a few years ago when the manufacturers changed the formula and started to cause bedbugs to be dispersed rather than killed. Unless there is a new source on the market I would not recommend it. If applied correctly and used in conjunction with monitoring we have found that powder DE from the correct sources is more effective.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  11. Leila

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Mar 11 2019 5:20:54
    #

Login to Send PM

So what do you use for the ceiling ? Apart from aprehend. Glue tape has prouved Worthless ( seems like only heavy items get glued. ) and as we have beams didnt stick well - found a lyctus brun or bb , trying to crawl underneath it between glue tape and woodenbeam) so bb would be able to also.
    Pco left a few cans of spray De . Didnt use it.
    With what would you spray recatangle above bed to not allow them to drop down uncontaminated?
    Befor i used to let them drop down and then disenfect bed but disenfecting boxspring and wooden children beds even with a pro steamer means taking it Apart. As they keep coming- seems like TO MUCH of an weekly effort.

would like them contaminated before they drop down.
    Anyhows for now thats aprehend. seems to be working for now. Dont know if they actually do walk through it - or if they are just waiting behind the Barrier.
    As i got bitten right after spraying - i guess they did walk through it..

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Mar 11 2019 6:27:25
    #

Login to Send PM

We dont need to treat ceilings, even in the heaviest and most dispersed cases or cases with oak beams, vaulted ceilings or non standard homes.

We work in ways that are synergeistic with the insects behaviour rather than applying a fallacious logic of barriers and obstacle courses. We can even apply the correct dose of DE on the underside of surfaces so long as they are not glass smooth.

There is a tendancy for amateurs and am-pro’s to overapply thinking “if a little is good a lot must be better” but that is never the case when it comes to bedbugs. About 5 years ago we started refusing “heavily previously treated cases” without an intervention reset clean first because it was lowering our success rate too much and making it harder for us to achieve our aim of single treatment resolution. It’s why we have developed such an understanding for fixing the mistakes of others.

David

13. 13cookies

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Mar 11 2019 17:28:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi-I have a question or two. So I'm now on day 23 of Cimexa and had been having (previous post) good results until day 18 and have since been getting bit a couple of bites a night and have seen 2 live but very small bugs, and one more grown-but very lethargic. I am more than willing to remain patient. Since my initial post I also was able to dust furniture and baseboards ect in adjoining rooms. My question is if I should redust inside of couch (like does sitting and movement disturb the dust) and if I resteam it what will that do to existing dust? Or should I just leave it all alone? Thanks so much in advance.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

286,532 posts in 47,701 topics over 147 months by 21,020 of 21,346 members. Latest: pray4mojo, yassine, tsm