(6 posts)
  1. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Sat Nov 17 2018 9:21:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey,

Id like to run this past people on the forum to see if anyone thinks this could work:

I live in a small two bedroom apartment. Bedrooms are not adjacent. There are bedbugs in the main bedroom (mine) and the living room.
    They´re not in the spare bedroom, which is adjacent only to the kitchen and entrance hall.
    I have a low infestation, of 2months approx. but they are persistent and we have yet to find harbourages, but they come out and bite occasionally..
    So, this is the current plan:

I´ve put Cimexa all over the home, not the spare room though, floor cracks, walls, doorframes and furniture, but not excessively so, just as directed. I will live elsewhere for a period of time (taking all precautions necessary) and just come back to sleep in the spare room every couple of days. I have put vaseline all around the doorframe to the spare room and cimexa at the entrance to this room.

Will this work if I do this for a while? They will be hungry, want to feed, but not be able to get to me. They will have to walk through the cimexa to do so and thus will die..

Does anyone think this is an effective strategy? Are there flaws in my thinking?

Thanks!!

2. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Sat Nov 17 2018 9:31:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok. Ive just been reading about vaseline on the forum and that maybe they can cros this. Is there anything that can be put down that is a 100% effective barrier to the bugs? I suppose I could tape the bottom of the door shut with painter´s tape every night instead, but then how would they know Im there?

3. SalsaVince

Posted 11 months ago
    Sat Nov 17 2018 12:25:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I would encourage you to read some of the other experiences were people have tried to do similar things in the past moving to a separate room and trying to block them out, this often makes the situation worse by drawing the bugs into new places where they weren't previously. It is recommended to continue staying in the room where the infestation is so that you can contain them there and try to treat those areas without spreading them out. The most effective option for you would be to have a professional come out in treats those areas. That would eliminate them the quickest although there would be some cost to it. If it is a small infestation, it might not be too bad. They would also know better where to look and possibly find the harborages. Cimexa definitely works well but often times isn't enough to completely eliminate an infestation without other measures. You really need to find the source. Perhaps monitors like climbups placed around the room might help you to see where they are most active to determine where they are coming from. I didn't see you mention if you have definitely confirmed you have bed bugs and have them identified yet? If not, you should probably start there.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  4. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Sat Nov 17 2018 15:58:47
    #

Login to Send PM

hi,
    thanks so much for posting
    yes they are definately bedbugs. I found one in a shoe. Had a PCO come out to steam. This was a month ago, but they came back to check and said they were gone. However they´re not, as I´m still getting bitten, not often, but even if I show them the bites they say until I find a live bug they wont retreat and my guarentee runs out in less than a week. Its a bummer. Ive thought about doing a CO2 trap to catch one.
    And I live in Spain, so we dont have a lot of options here. Only permetrin based pesticides, which are unlikely to work. I only have the Cimexa as a friend in the US sent it to me.
    This really sucks for us here.
    PCOs generally only want to swamp your house in pesticide and the steamer company wont come out until I find a live bug, which isnt always easy, especially at a low infestation.
    I dont know what i will do. i still think this could work. if it doesnt i may just buy the steamer myself. itd cost 500euros, which is what the PCO charged for just one steam treat anyway.

5. SalsaVince

Posted 11 months ago
    Sat Nov 17 2018 17:23:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a lot of success using steam in my low infestation. It helped knowing where to focus though since I found two different harborages. I bought a smaller handheld steamer for 40 u.s. dollars on amazon. Although I had to refill it a few times in order to finish the job, it was still very effective and much cheaper than the larger steamers. Do you have any interceptors in the bedroom? if not, there are a few household items that you can use as temporary ones which might help you catch a bug within the next week to present to the PCO.

6. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Sat Nov 17 2018 17:49:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I do have, but since I´m still getting bitten, I´m anxious about sleeping in the bed. I´ve never seen any in the interceptors I put on, but maybe thy´re not good enough. I followed the Joel Williams design. He has some very good videos I think about how to get rid of them, and he doesn´t use chemicals. But I think alot about the interceptors is ensuring they can´t climb the plastic and this will depend on the kind of plastic containers you use. Maybe mine are not smooth enough.
    As for buying a steamer I don´t know. I think if I bought one Id get the Polti one. I know its 500 euros, but it seems a small price to pay if it means I can get rid of them. And then sell it on. Or keep it.
    This is the second time Ive had them in 4 years. Its exhausting.
    They´re becoming more and more common over here.
    BUt I know that like with any tool it´s about how you use it. I had a friend once who got rid of his by going round the house with a flame torch and flaming all the floor tiles and baseboards. I wouldnt do this though.
    My worry is the fitted closets, there are so many inaccessible nooks and crannies.
    Ive ordered some nuvan strips, they deliver to Spain, so maybe I can use them for the closet.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,827 posts in 49,817 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316