Christmas with bbs

(4 posts)
  1. Bbgoaway100

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Dec 7 2016 13:08:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, I am trying to decide what my children, husband, and I should do for Christmas. With my extended family, Christmas is always a big deal. Xmas Eve with some family and xmas day with other family. Though we are in an active BB infestation in our home at the moment.

I have posted parts of my story here and there on this but if you missed it, I can fill you in.
    We first discovered them just last month, November 11th. We decluttered our entire house, dryed and bagged all cloth items that are still stored in our basement on tables, living off a few outfits out of clean bags that stay in the bathroom, and have had two spray treatments so far. Our third and final treatment will be next Monday, December 12th. Since first discovered and ridding of one child's infested bed (we actually got rid of all of our 3 childrens bed being one was only 2 feet from the infested bed and the other across the hall because that child with the infested bed had recently put his pillow and blanket on it and the kids found a live BB adult on top of that bed on the sheet the same night, making that the exact moment we discovered they were in our house.) We now know after research and speaking with PCO that maybe we shouldn't have gotten rid of those beds but oh well, we did, not like I could even felt okay keeping that one infested bed anyway, I would have never been able to look at it without high anxiety. I honestly believe they came from the public school my children attend as this particular son started getting bites just a few weeks after school had started and he is the only one who puts his backpack on his bed, so they may have hitched a ride to our house from school on the backpack. I mean all classes there do just stack all each other's bags on top of one another's on a shelf outside the room doors. Anyway, after that first initial discovery we went around the house looking for them, finding an infestation on that one sons bed but no signs anywhere else. But after drying every thing, 3 seperate loads had dead BBs in the lint catcher, one consisting of the curtains behind the infested bed, stuffed animals that were next to this bed, and the actual bedding on the bed. So now the 3 kids now have air mattresses leaving mine and my husband's bed the only box spring and mattress in the house now. Since then, I have only seen two live BBs, one on my bed sheet at 3:30am 3 days after our first treatment and one the morning of our second treatment (I had swept it up from along a baseboard) and have not seen any fecal or sheddings or eggs at all anywhere. Though I am now getting bit (as i do not believe I was before we discovered them, only my one son with the infested bed was for a few months while we thought it was just mosquito bites, but oh boy were we wrong on that one) anyway, since the kids have air mattresses and my husband completely covers up with a blanket from head to toe every night no matter what, I have been getting all the bites. They are unlike anything I have had before. They itch wildly crazy for a few hours and become a big bright red area then as hours and days pass they become smaller and itch less but I can see a tiny hole in the center sometimes even two. And the red marks stay on my skin for a good week. They almost exactly resemble the bites my son was getting. I feel very confident they are BB bites. I am getting about 3-4 bites every 4-5 days now I would say. The bites have decreased since our first spray but they are obviously still here if I am still getting bit, even though I see no signs anywhere. 30 days after our last treatment I will be hiring a k9 which I have already spoke to the dogs owner about so that should be done around Jan 12th. Until I get that k9 out and no more bites I will not feel like we successfully got rid of these.

We had planned to stay secluded basically until then so we don't infest anyone but I was thinking if maybe we could go ahead and go see family for Christmas if we just put everything we would wear into the dryer(including even coats), take showers, immediately put these clothes on and go straight out the door. Or should we just stay home and wait for a clearing (or not in the clear) result from the k9 in January. Our families do already know we have BBs as I have been trying to warn and inform everyone on them. Noone has seen any signs in their homes or suspect they have them as well. They all pretty much said they would love to still see us at the get togethers for xmas but would understand if we didn't show up. I haven't even gotten our tree out yet and not sure if I will this year. Still debating that one too. Any advice, opinions, or personal experience on this matter would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

2. yohoki

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Dec 7 2016 14:14:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been with BBs for 5 years, and haven't seen any signs of them spreading to my work or family, but I do not stay the night, or even very long at family gatherings. I'll occasionally see one crawling on my clothing, or feel one under my clothes while I'm out, but that's few and far between, weeks or months apart. They really don't like hitching a ride on people.

Wash everything you can, and toss everything in the drier that can go. Shoes, too. If you have presents, make sure they're quarantined. Get them wrapped and put right into trash bags, tied tightly.

Do everything you can to not spread them and I thing you should be fine. Good luck!

Notable sites for my reference (and others that are interested):
    http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
    http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/tbypmr.pdf (PDF file. May prompt download)
    Http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/ (David's company website.)
    Http://www.bedbugger.com/forum/
  3. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Dec 8 2016 14:22:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I am no expert but take precautions and go out and enjoy yourselves with your family especially as you have already had 3 treatments. As 12 December is your last treatment if you can count 28 days with no sightings o bites then you should be in the clear.

4. bedbugparanoia

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Dec 8 2016 14:44:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I was in a similar situation last Christmas. We are almost positive that my daughter brought them home from school (we later found out that a girl in her class had told everyone the month prior that she was staying at her cousin's house because her house was being treated for bedbugs). My daughter would also take her backpack and coat upstairs after school. Never again!

We did visit friends and relatives over Christmas and followed the same protocol of drying everything before we left. All was fine and getting out did wonders for all of us.

I would skip bringing the Christmas tree out unless you want to have the same panic I had this year, lol. I bought a new tree this year because I couldn't bear the thought of something living in the old one. It's still packed away in the basement.

Like you, our problem was mainly in one child's bed, although my daughter was notorious for bringing blankets into her brother's room and onto the couch. Two were found in my son's room and one tiny nymph on the couch. Despite my urge to burn everything, we encased the mattresses and kept the beds. I did chuck the box spring from my son's room, the first place I found a bug.

We had our PCO do an extensive sweep about a month after treatment. It really put my mind at ease. Good luck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,676 posts in 45,064 topics over 137 months by 19,786 of 20,521 members. Latest: jes510, Jessica107, Starsky30