Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

choosing a company for moving truck vikane fumigation -- what to look for?

(3 posts)
  1. AgeanStable

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 21 2016 21:24:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I am researching PCOs that do Vikane gas fumigations on moving trucks in LA. They all quoted me around $1100, except for one that quoted me $500. I am suspicious because of the low price. What questions should I ask to make sure I'm getting the job done right? For instance, how many gallons of Vikane should be used on a 10 foot truck (any exterminators here?). Other than not using enough of the chemical, I am not sure how else they could screw up assuming that I pack the truck correctly. I will keep researching in the meantime. Cheers!

2. Imascared

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 27 2016 4:03:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm going through the same thing. Fortunately, I've learned a lot by reading these forums and doing my research. Call around and ask them how much concentration of Vikane they use. It should be 3x what they would use for termites. One company I called actually told me they only use 1.9x. (They also gave me a quote for a 17 ft truck plus my car, all for $300. So, often an astoundingly low price should make you suspicious.) Nope, they're off the list....Ask how they do the process and how much time it will take. It should be 24 hours turnaround, and they should tarp or tent the vehicle. Also pay attention to how knowledgable and willing to answer your questions they seem. Ask about a warranty, if you feel it would benefit you. Unfortunately, most warranties require you to rent another truck and drive your stuff back to them for another fumigation, on top of having to treat the new place. So it's usually more costly and stressful than it's worth, but the fact that they offer a warranty is at least a good sign that they guarantee their work. I contacted a professor at the entomology department of UF for a referral, and while he told me he couldn't make specific referrals, he did tell me to look for a chain company with several branches because they will have experience in fumigation, and do their own work rather than contract their work out to others.

3. Imascared

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 28 2016 2:26:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, I was mistaken. I found out tiday that the required concentration was indeed changed to 1.9x after recent studies showed that 1.9x kills the bugs and eggs. Some companies do still use the 3x concentration, however. I would probably feel safer with that.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,845 posts in 50,049 topics over 155 months by 21,878 of 22,364 members. Latest: Datnguyen, Mariam, GoingBananas