Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Cherry Angiomas

(40 posts)
  1. TorontoBugged

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Oct 12 2007 13:07:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I've always been a little paranoid about these red prinprick spots on my skin and wondering why I only noticed these cherry angiomas (as my doctor identified them) since my bb exposure. The doctor said they are just a sign of aging but my family doesn't have a history of getting these and I've never noticed them on my parents who are much older than me.

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed the same? Maybe it's a generational thing? My friend has these and she is of a similar skin complexion. As far as I know she's doesn't have bb.

2. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Oct 12 2007 13:19:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I started noticing all my cherry angiomas when I got bedbugs, too. At first, before I knew I had bedbug bites, I just thought I was sprouting a new kind of itchy cherry angioma. I'm fair skinned, middle-aged, Celtic via Newfoundland heritage, with freckles and cherry angiomas galore. In my family we all have them, and we get more as we get older though I had them as a kid, too.

3. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Oct 12 2007 13:28:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Great that you brought this up.
    Funny thing that you mentioned this, prior to bbs I had a couple of these cherry angiomas things but I noticed more of them during my bb infestation. I am white but not fair skinned and tan well and they do appear on my parents. They appear to be common in allot of people but maybe bbs bring more of these out. I think the medical profession as of right now are clueless about what a bb infestation can do to people, only time will tell. I wish to add that I still have small red scars from bbs that I will probably have for the rest of my life since the scars are approx. a year old.

4. insomnia

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Oct 12 2007 14:34:17
    #

Login to Send PM

OMG...I almost asked this same question, but was worried you would think I'm completely nuts. I've noticed the same "red moles" as we refer to them on both myself my husband. Prior to this summer, I had maybe 2. Just in the last month, I've noticed several more..small ones. This is freaking me out. My husband says it's old age, but I don't think so. He has never had any before, but now he has several. I noticed these prior to any treatment in our home, so the chemicals cannot be the reason. Anyone else???

5. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Oct 12 2007 15:29:58
    #

Login to Send PM

If it is old age than my war with bed bugs must of aged me faster than I expected.
    It would be good if a doctor would comment. This can't be our eyes playing tricks on us.

6. insomnia

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Oct 12 2007 15:45:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I never bought the old age explanation. But even if it were an age-related thing, I would expect it to be more gradual. What's more is why would my husband and I both notice more of these during the same 30-60 day period? Too coincidental to be "old age". (42 yrs young to be exact) I wonder if entimologists studying BB's have noticed this since they let their experimental bb's feed on them.?? If not, maybe there's a difference between wild and farm-raised??

7. pleasehelp

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Oct 12 2007 16:25:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know if they are cherry angiomas because they're so small, but I've just started seeing these on myself ... they look like red freckles. I've been getting bites for more than a month that look like typical looking bb bites, but am now thinking the problem is mites rather than bb's.

8. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Oct 13 2007 16:44:37
    #

Login to Send PM

gosh I've got these too, and after a long while without bed bugs. I had some pre-bedbugs though ... and I've also heard that they are sign of aging. Wish I could cast a spell to make them disapear but there is no spell I know of. And my skin is dry. i itches and it flakes. Any advice for my dry skin anyone?

9. TorontoBugged

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Oct 13 2007 18:52:34
    #

Login to Send PM

My complexion is olive. I have not been in the sun (except for my face and arms of course) for years. I did not notice these red spots until my bb exposure. I'm in late 30s. The spots are predominantly on my upper arms and legs and some on torso and chest. I guess they could be all over my back but I don't see that area too easiliy!

They get a little itchy when I wear synthetics and tighter clothes because they're raised. I too hope that more diligent and health researchers will explore the possible connection between bed bugs and these spots and not just accept the party line that bed bugs carry but don't spread any diseases.

10. Emmm

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Apr 14 2009 22:21:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Was this ever fully addressed? I know my boyfriend and I have noticed these since our infestations. He never reacted to bites, I did. My roommate has had them all her life, and I'm sure I had one or two, but now I notice them ALL THE TIME.

They're not actual bites, are they?

11. BuggedBiologist

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Apr 14 2009 22:49:10
    #

Login to Send PM

For dry skin, I really like the Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Lotion. Also, an oatmeal bath is really soothing for itchy skin - from dryness to allergic reactions (from bed bugs, to food allergies).

12. bait

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2009 6:29:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Buy Sarna lotion for the itches.

Not sure what a cherry angioma is, but bed bug bites vary from person to person, and are damaging to the skin and the veins/capillaries underneath. There are different forms of scarring, and the chemical processes are hardly discussed. Changes can emerge as a result of cellular damage.

It's not in your head.

13. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2009 7:14:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Months ago, I posted about suddenly getting these cherry angioma's. Age was suggested, but I found it odd that I never had any until we got BBs. Additionally, my 26-year-old daughter suddenly started to get them too .... so I don't see how age is a factor

I'm no doctor, but I'm sure it's BB related.

14. losingit

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2009 8:08:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I always had a few of these before bbs too, but lately I've been seeing more of them. I've read it's related to age/hormones etc. I prefer to think of them as tiny beauty spots so the more I have the more beautiful I am... ha!

15. Emmm

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2009 8:25:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I wonder if it's stress related? Stress certainly ages one, so I can see the correlation, maybe?

Because I've yet to come across a bed bug sufferer who isn't stressed to the max.

16. fed_up

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2009 10:55:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh great. I hadn't even thought of those but now that I look, I do have a bunch of tiny new ones just on my forearms alone. I've always had some and they run in my family, but now I'm wondering what's going on. If this thread hadn't come up I would have simply assumed it was due to age and/or sun exposure.

17. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2009 13:04:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I think the only way to draw a link between them is for a large number of people to accurately record where they are bitten and then monitor those areas for angiomas. I appreciate that it may be frustrating at times but we need to focus on facts and if we don't have facts we should approach the subjected as scientifically as possible.

If there is a link data will illustrate it whereas opinion is always at best only doing to be from a statistically small sample set.

David

18. meowcat

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2009 13:18:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I have these and have not noticed any new ones since the bb, but I think some people start inspecting themselves closer once they have bb. And I agree that its sounds plausible they could be from stress.My dad has the angiomas and I started getting them around age 20. Don't seem to be a health concern.

19. Emmm

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2009 15:48:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Meowcat, that sounds right. I do have to say where these red dots are wheren't where I had my original, traditional bites. I do think it's less related directly to bed bugs, and more towards a "effect of having" bed bugs, if that makes sense.

20. BugsInTO

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2009 16:42:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi
    Mustard gas (Chlorine gas) and 2-butoxyethanol are two chemicals that are listed in Wikipedia as causing cherry angiomas. I found a couple of other sources on the internet that also seemed to support this.

2-butoxyethanol is an ingredient in Propoxur (a general use Carbamate type insecticide that we used on our second spraying) and, yes, I have noticed that I have more cherry angiomas than I used to have.

I ran a quick search and Black Flag Ant & Roach also has 2-butoxyethanol in it.

Interesting....

21. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 22 2009 6:18:21
    #

Login to Send PM

BugsInTO, are you suggesting that all the pesticides may be causing them?

22. BugsInTO

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 22 2009 8:12:31
    #

Login to Send PM

With the emphasis on MAYBE, I am saying that I found several references on the internet that linked 2-butoxyethanol with increased Cherry Angiomas and these references suggested that this chemical caused them. I checked the Material Safety Sheet for the last pesticide we used and it did have this chemical in it. I don't know if this same chemical is in other pesticides and I have no idea how much chemical would cause Cherry Angiomas (if it does) and if so, how many Cherry Angiomas, But I find it very interesting, especially because bedbugs require lots of treatments and the chemicals stay in the environment. But, I am happy my bugs are gone (crossed fingers) and only have a few more Cherry Angiomas.

23. upagain

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Sep 9 2009 8:05:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I am wondering if my "skin inspections" are whats causing me to notice these now.

24. eyehatebug

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Feb 9 2010 0:21:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow. I have gotten a bunch >30 that I've noticed in the past month of infestation. I have no idea what chemicals are being used in my apartment. My doctor says that these angiomas are permanent, save for IPL treatment. Funny thing is they all still itch.

Questions: Did any of you find that these faded? Did anyone get angiomas and have non chemical or heat treatment?

25. Louise

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Feb 9 2010 0:52:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I developed quite a few more cherry angiomas this summer, but we had *no* treatment for the batbugs in our cabin (although we *had* treated the summer before for carpenter ants...Ficam D in the walls, and...Bedlam?...sprayed everywhere else).

I did, of course, have a certain amount of stress this summer (as in, "Have we brought the batbugs home with us from the cabin?").

I'd definitely vote for stress being a factor...

Louise

26. BuggedOutInCT

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Feb 9 2010 8:30:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been getting them as long as I can remember. They just turn into freckles after a while. I think I get more during the summer, but I can't be sure. I'm half Irish - Black Irish, which means black hair and blue eyes - and half Western European mix, with very fair skin. For myself, age has never been a factor.

27. thepiper

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 2:20:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a bunch of these. When you look real close there appears to be a similar pattern of four marks. I knew I had some before but now I seem to have a lot. I have found three in a row too maybe I just hadn't noticed them. Maybe they are bites. Maybe it's down to the stress... Man I wish I knew.

28. nobugs4me

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 7:59:23
    #

Login to Send PM

i have a bunch of cherry angiomas on my tummy. now that you all have me looking at them, there are some that look so tiny and suspicious. And now they started itching! (Another reason to stop self-inspecting so much...)

29. collides7

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 10:03:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I have recently gotten them too. They actually appeared after pesticide was sprayed so that's what I'm assuming it is. I've never gotten them before either. I have about five on each arm and a little less around my feet and legs. On me they're very small, though I do have about two SLIGHTLY bigger ones. I almost thought they were bites until I researched (since the dots themselves don't itch at all). I have been feeling that my skin is being really sensitive and feeling a little irritated/sore on certain areas in my arms and legs. And I actually slept a full nights sleep in my bed last night (thankfully) and no new ones appeared though my lower back is feeling itchy. I'm thinking maybe a slight allergic reaction? Even my boyfriend has a few of these on his leg (less than me though) although he hasn't gotten any kind of bites.

30. thepiper

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 10:12:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I was actually wondering whether they might be the result of a small bug -- presumably the nymphs have smaller eating bits than the adults?

It's hard to say if they are new or whether I've just noticed them but I'm very suspicious...

31. PANewBugger

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 11:31:40
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband and I started to get them after we started our treatments. We went to a dermatologist who said that they are cherry angiomas. I personally think it's somehow related to the bed bugs and treatments - neither of us had these before and they don't run in our families. Have any of yours disappeared with time? So far, ours haven't, and we find a new one every now and then.

32. HuntforBedBugBinLaden

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 2 2010 13:28:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely! And no one has believed me until now! Indeed, when I started to get them-- I searched the internet and was distressed to find that these were an overt sign that I was simply getting older (I know-- as opposed to some deadly disorder that causes red spots-- blame it on my vanity). I was determined to pop them if they got any larger.

I read about how they form as a person ages-- starting out as small dots and growing larger. While, I certainly think that I am a candidate for this sort of skin problem since I am fair skinned and heading towards my late thirties, I privately have blamed these on the bugs. All of a sudden, I noticed that I had lots of them. Why go from having none to having 30-40 of these marks- all appearing over a period of a month or two???

I have further noticed that some have gone away (which should not happen with Cherry Angiomas). Also, about a month after I noticed the red spots, I discovered that my chair was literally infested with bed bugs (which was before any treatment of the infestation or any anxieties about the situation). My somewhat uneducated guess is that some bug bites resemble the early stages of a Cherry Angioma, but this is only because I would hate to think that the bugs can actually create permanent blemishes.

It would also be good to know whether or not 1. bed bugs contribute to the formation of these red spots, and 2. whether or not the spots are indeed cherry angiomas.

-Hunter

P.S. It is my belief that cherry angiomas are so instantly recognized by the medical community that it would be remarkable for a physician to consider other alternatives for the appearance of these tiny red spots. Since they are benign, there is seldom any consideration beyond cursory observation and only limited research. Thus, there does not seem to be a practice of differential diagnosis. Because of this, I do think that the appearance of angioma-like spots is easily an unrecognized symptom of having bed bugs. It would be good if this was researched-- if the connection could be either established or debunked.

33. gatbedbugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jun 21 2011 11:47:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Same here.. Ever since the whole bug fiasco. I have been getting TONS of them all over my back and arms and chest. I read that they can be stress related as well and that makes sense.

The weird thing is that they are showing up in twos and threes. I know what the bedbug bites looked like. The nymph bites were close together and in a line or wheel. the larger bites were in twos and threes but pretty far apart. They also had a visible hole scar tissue when looked at with loop or photographed and magnified. no angiomas there. I also did not use chemicals to treat. We used heat in conjunction with diatomaceous earth. SO I am led to believe that it is stress related along with genetics and hormonal changes.

34. WorriedInCali

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Sep 10 2011 1:41:37
    #

Login to Send PM

This is crazy!! I too have just started to notice them all over my body over the last couple of months. I know I've had a few here and there before I knew I was exposed to BB's, but not this many. I'm now thinking it must be stress related though because I haven't had any BB treatments. I've never felt this level of stress, anxiety, and paranoia in my life until I was exposed to BB's at a hotel and worried that I may have brought a hitchiker home. I'm sure it doen't help that I've never examined my body so intensely following exposure either.

My sister said she developed a lot of them too during her pregnancy, and I know she was under more stress during that time.

35. Rosae

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Sep 10 2011 4:15:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Me too but not all pinpricks are cherry angiomas. Most of them aren't and behave like small wounds.

Bed bugs inject some saliva in the wound that keeps it open and if your blood circulation isn't fast enough, the wounds get larger and it takes a longer time for them to heal. Bed bugs have a preference for such spots (the legs).

36. Answersfinder

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2011 20:19:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi guys, I'm new at this forum. First of all, sorry for my bad english (it's not my first language), as I am brazilian.

I came into this site due to a research I made at google for cherry angioma. I've been researching at thousands of websites for the etiology of this... how can i say... condition, disease, whatever.

But I didn't find anything conclusive. Although there is a consensus that the main cause is from aging, i don't think it's the only reason.

I mean, I'm only 23. First noticed these nevus at the age of 20.

I'm not exposed to sun most of the time (actually I'm so white that people are always asking if i'm from somewhere else, as I live at a very hot place). And also, in my case, most cherry angiomas appeared at areas that are not exposed to sun.

As many of you, a lot of these red dots appeared in short period of time, which made me afraid. Then I visited a dermatologist and he said it's nothing to worry about, cause it's benign. He also that it comes from aging.

Anyway, that didn't convince me.

There is another factor that may have contribute: stress. I'm stressed by nature. I think that is the reason I got a lot of white hair.

Recently I was under a lot of pressure because of a test to become a lawyer. I failed 2 times and only now, a month ago, I was approved.

So I'm really curious about this issue and won't stop til I find an answer.

Let's try to relate causes here:
    What do you think is the reason?

At first I thought it was from my diet (I'm a bodybuilder and eat much protein and stuff). But after my "little" research I didn't find anything related.

Thanks guys, sorry for the long text. Let's look for an aswer!!

P.S: Luckly, I don't have bug problems haha. Never though there would be a forum for this kind of reason! Very curious, indeed. Good luck guys! Cya.

37. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2011 20:25:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have a lot of these and they run in my family. Started popping up in my early 20s (so it's the process of aging)...

No idea about stress, BBs, pesticides, etc. I did have radiation over a major body areas and had 2nd+ degree burns in that area from the radiation and that stress did not cause more to develop in that area. I have more "freckling" and other signs of exposure to radiation, but not more of the red spots in that area in particular.

I keep meaning to read all these post since am curious. I do have more and more on my arms but not that more anywhere else. I don't have BB bites (or hope I don't!).

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  38. Answersfinder

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 3 2011 19:30:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi theyareoutthere (by the way, very funny nickname if you're referring to bedbug, lol). Actually, many things of this forum made me laugh, for example, instead of being newbye, i'm newbite, lol.

Very good statement! Nice to hear it may not be caused by stress.

Anyway, I've been looking for more answers and found somebody that said cherry angiomas are related with "THYROID PATIENTS", in his words.

I couldn't quite understand what he said, but it was something about that hormone ESTROGEN.

If any of you guys want to check it out:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartame/messages/24292?threaded=1&m=e&var=1&tidx=1

I got to say that worried me a bit, as in fact I am a THYROID PATIENTS (I've got hypothyreoidism - don't know how to spell it).

Please let me know if any of you has this problem.
    Thanks.

39. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 3 2011 19:37:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm..well, this isn't about BBs, but..here goes:

1. Yes, I have thyroid issues (Overactive, whichever one that is).
    2. I have several issues related to producing too much estrogen (no need to go into that here).

The women in my family tend to have both these issues. Stress does impact hormones in your body, so maybe that's the link.

It's funny how people react. I'm just like..yep, bunch of red spots on my skin. I also have a tendancy to grow cysts throughout my body (gangloid one on hand) and have a tendancy for keloids on various scars.

Try not to stress about this..it's probably a genetic predisposition to them. But, do get your thyroid checked regularly and maybe consider monitoring your hormone levels. I've had annual bloodwork since my 20s so it's a cosmetic vs. health issue.

40. exhausted2011

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 15:03:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello I am new to the posts but not to this issue. Although mine has not been diagnosed as a bed bug problem because of the lack of consistency to the bites (not always in 3's and not every night) I have been experiencing a lot of sleepless nights. I have seen internal med, dermatology and paid a professional to treat for non existent fleas but they still say they see no bedbugs. One Dr even said "patient is stressed, depressed and suffering from delusional parasitosis) I know thats not spelled right but I am afraid to ask anyone for help now. I have SHOWN them to bites and its not a coincidence that everyone here is posting about the same cherry anginimas and the common link is some type of insect bite. I have them as well mainly on my upper body chest area and arms and I never had them before and no one in my family has. Today I was told it was "old age" but these were left in the areas where I was bitten. My others have left white marks and some have left brown scars which the Dr called "moles". I know for sure I didn't have all of these moles and again they are all in the spots where I was originally bitten. I am still being bitten but since I can't "catch the bug" the PCO says they "can't treat what they can't see". I am so frustrated now that I don't know what to do. I have even stayed up all night with the light on looking for them but my bites don't come every single night. I hope we can get some support and put this to an end and live a normal life. I am tired of all the ritualistic behavior of washing and excessive vacuuming.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,328 posts in 50,173 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14