Checking in!

(21 posts)
  1. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 15 2014 13:18:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Everyone!
    I wanted to check in - I am coming up on 6 mos after treatment, and although I have driven myself nuts, we are still clear. I still randomly have "episodes" where I am SURE they're back...a spot on the sheet (that when I smear it turns red - so no fecal, right?!)....a random bug (I can really pic out wings in bug carcasses now)....a dot....whatever.

I've stayed off of this forum for a while now because I needed to stop seeing everything as suspect. I just purchased new Bed Bug Blue but I test hardly ever now.

So thank you to each of you who helped me, and to those you who just started this journey, it may not seem like it will ever end, but it will!

Take care!
    Suzanne

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 15 2014 13:30:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Suzanne,

Your post reminds me of a recurring thought.

While I'm sure everyone is glad, especially you, that you've beaten your bed bug issue, I must ask this question(s) based upon your post:

Do YOU think that participating or reading the BBF on a continued basis serves to feed your fears and anxieties about bed bugs more than it helps or vice versa ?

Does checking in on the various bed bug issues posted by others make some people think that they have a continued bed bug problem?

Thanks for your reply. pjb

3. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 15 2014 14:00:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Suzanne,

I am so happy for you that you are nearing the end of your bed bug journey and that you took the time to share it with all of us. It gives hope to those you are currently in the midst of their own journey.

For some people, it’s best to stay away from this site (although coming back and sharing your success is quite valuable to others) once they are done with their particular situation. And for other people, reading and participating on a site such as this one is a way of taking control of a fear that once controlled them. For me, helping others through the same fear and anxiety that I once experienced is priceless for me. It gives me peace to know that my words may help another.

During a bed bug situation, whether it’s actual bugs or “head” bugs, this site can be a source of continued anxiety, but for many, it’s a place to find others in the same boat and to help each other through that difficult time.

Things can only control us if we allow them to control us. Learning to take control and finding our way back to happiness is how we grow….and become stronger for having gone through the experience. Each person is different, and each person has to figure out what will hold them back…..and what will allow them to live a peaceful life again.

But, Paul does pose a good question and I look forward to seeing your reply.

Again, so happy for you, Suzanne!! And may you never encounter another bed bug ever again!!

Butterfly

4. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 15 2014 18:46:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone Paul and Butterfly!

This is really a hard question and I think the answer really depends on the mind-set I am in. If I am in panic mode because I think I "found" something this site is extremely helpful for dispelling my fears. When I'm in a "good" place I do think sometimes reading the posts can get the hamster wheel (squeak squeak) of crazy rolling again. (And I mean that directed only towards myself). Some of you have certainly seen my panicked mode crazy hamster wheel posts and you know what I'm talking about.

When I first discovered I had BBs I read EVERYTHING on this site voraciously. Then as I progressed through the process I searched for certain things. I continue to use the site, but very sparingly. For example, today I found two dark spots on the sheets. When I smeared them they were red, so I came back to look it up (as I know blood tests positive on BB Blue - I made that mistake before). David had posted that if a suspected spot smeared red, it would never be fecal. No panic today!

I do think my "head" bugs are fed a little more when I visit here every day. I think it's because I am trying really hard to try to forget about this whole ordeal and am able to do so in smaller amounts of time as the days pass. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about BBs at least 10-15 times a day. I need to stop doing that, so when I visit here I am just feeding the beast. Sometimes when I read someone found a BB in a weird place, I begin to look there too - just looking for trouble I think. lol

That being said, I do hop on occasionally and will comment on other's posts to try to help.

The information I have learned from people on here is priceless, and I feel fortunate to have found this site. The education I have gotten from here has helped me so much.

For example, I was in the bathroom the other day and saw this tiny little red (very red, almost an orange color and very round) bug on the wall - (it was the size of a small paint splatter from a roller). I did get upset, but I didn't panic. I tried to catch it so I could get a closer look, but it fell to the floor and I couldn't find it. I vacuumed the area really well. Now, I live in a single family home, I check the beds and couches weekly, never saw a bug in our bathroom before and have seen no other signs. I came on here, looked at pics of nymphs and convinced myself it wasn't a bb. I'm pretty sure we would have to have a pretty big infestation for a lonely BB to be hanging out in the bathroom when there is a perfectly good king size bed only 3 feet away! See, I would never have known that or been able to rationalize that if I hadn't read 954375947395743 posts on here! Honestly, I could have spent 14 hours looking for the damn thing lol, however, knowing what I know now, I can't spend hours looking for something that didn't even really look like a BB. I cannot let this take over my life again. I can only be educated in what to look for and how to prevent it. Knowledge is power.

This site, no matter how often I visit, is definitely a help.

As the terminator says, "I'll be back!"

PS - Paul, by that description does it sound more like clover mites? Is it possible to only find one?

5. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 15 2014 19:06:23
    #

Login to Send PM

found a picture of you on the internet Suzanne!

[ photo _20_zps38191177.jpg]

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  6. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 15 2014 19:19:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Great post, Suzanne!! If you happen to be on here and start feeling stressed, check out JustChecking's stress reliever threads. There is a few of them that she has started. They are awesome and a nice break away from the stress!! I have spent a lot of time reading them today. Everybody has "those" days, and today was mine, so I slathered on coconut scented lotion and played the very last video in this thread. "Kinda, sorta" like being at the beach.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/stress-busters

BTW, "head" bugs are just awful and it's hard to get "rid" of them. I dealt with them for 2 years. EVERY bug was a bed bug kind of thing, EVERY mark on myself or kids was from bed bugs.....that kind of "head" bugs. I took a break from this site, and everything to do with bed bugs for about 8 months. I wouldn't allow myself to even think about bed bugs.....at all. As soon as the word popped into my head.....nope, not going there. Time to get busy doing something else. And, it worked. I can see a bug in my house and it's ok. Skin reactions....ok, let's figure out what these are from. I no longer instantly think, "OMG, it's bed bugs." I hope my sharing that with you helps.

And I can come on here and it's ok.....99% of the time. If I start to feel "that" feeling, I either get off the computer and go do something, anything else.....or I read JustChecking's fabulous posts. Honestly, they are like little mini therapy sessions in a thread...or at least for me.

And you are so very right......knowledge is power.

7. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 15 2014 19:23:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Awww, that is so flippin' cute, Endless!!! And quite funny!!

8. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 15 2014 20:25:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Suzanne,

Good to hear from you!! Glad all is well. I've missed your posts--always sensible and fun too.

I would like to add that the site has been nothing but positive for me. It's always informative and the stories and advice given are insightful and meaningful.

If anything, my stress and feelings of anxiety have diminished. I find it uplifting to know that there are such decent, caring, intelligent, and interesting individuals out there who simply want to help each other.

So CHEERS to this site!!!

9. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 15 2014 21:18:23
    #

Login to Send PM

ENDLESS! I have to say that I look quite pretty in that picture! lol. Squeak squeak...time to hop off that wheel! I want to give a shout out to you, Endless, especially. I don't know if I would be where I am today without you. Seriously. I tell myself when I get into the "head bugs" is "THE BUGS ARE GONE" - which I think was your tag line when dealing with me. THE BUGS ARE GONE! (no jinx, fingers crossed)

This site is worth $4,389,257,435,743,754,379,433.

Butterfly - I will definitely check out those posts. Thank you for that. I do miss chatting with everyone.

Maybe we should start a chat group :lol:! I have to say one of the hardest things (and best things about this site) is that none of my friends or family want to hear me talk about this...but I need to talk to someone because there are times I've completely gone rogue. I think that's my favorite part of this site - the fellowship! So few people know that I went through this bc it's so taboo and no one knows the psych trauma that goes along with it so it's like I can't even vent about a huge part of my life (and pocketbook!) for the past 6 mos.

Daylight - Cheers to you for your positive attitude! I am so glad that we all found each other...next time let's just do it without the freaking bugs!

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 15 2014 23:55:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Suzanne!

So glad to hear you're doing well. Thanks for checking in.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 16 2014 1:00:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Suzanne,

Nice to hear from you. You're a teacher who teaches kids with some of them being low-income, right? If so, I can see why you get uneasy of believing you are free of bed bugs.

I read posts that the maximum wait time for the climbups and encasement approach (you may or may not have Passive Monitor) is 55 days. If you use Passive Monitor only, 14 days would be enough to tell if you still have bed bugs.

Shopping for groceries and supplies have been stressful to me since......... Today was my shopping day.

Auntie Andrea, I love the cute picture.

JustChecking, not a therapist / bug pro
    Please click my user name on the left for these threads:
    (OR go through my thread starter list OR use the search engine)
    --->stress busters --->energy boosters
    --->songs of hope and faith --->help U sleep tonight
  12. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 16 2014 3:00:59
    #

Login to Send PM

In my case bugs are always on my brain because in the apartment building where I'm living the landlord is now subjecting everyone to bi-monthly canine inspections for bedbugs, thus making it impossible for me to eradicate the infestation going on inside my cranium, so to speak.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  13. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 16 2014 4:23:40
    #

Login to Send PM

JustChecking wrote,

Nice to hear from you. You're a teacher who teaches kids with some of them being low-income, right? If so, I can see why you get uneasy of believing you are free of bed bugs.

Just to clarify...I am aware that all walks of life can have bed bugs. I was referring to the limited resources of the 'low-income' kids.

14. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 16 2014 8:36:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Your question above:

"PS - Paul, by that description does it sound more like clover mites? Is it possible to only find one?"

Hmmm . . .

Any of us that have sat on a concrete curb, driveway, pool deck, etc. during the spring and summer months have likely seen clover mites. These tiny, like head of a pin type tiny, orangie-red colored critters are omnipresent during the warmer months. And, if we "squish" them, they create a blood like smear. Yikes, could it be a bed bug ?

However, these guys are tiny ! Much smaller than even a 1st instar bed bug nymph by many times so there should be no confusion whatsoever between these two very different animals !

Hope this helps ! paul b.

15. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 16 2014 10:03:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, as a teacher I am completely on high alert which makes it hard to get rid of the head bugs for sure. I understood what you meant - as I add up in my head the cost of this entire debacle, it is clear to my why the lower income families would have a hard time eradicating this problem. Our social worker has tried to get local PCOs to discount the cost, but even with a discount it is way too much to afford.

I have stopped a few habits that were probably a bad idea to begin with. 1. No students are allowed to sit in my chair anymore. 2. My bags no longer sit on the floor - they are on top of my filing cabinets or on my shelf (not that the floor is the only place to pick one of these little buggers up, of course, however if a student brought them with them in THEIR backpack, which normally sits on the floor, I am (in theory) increasing the nautical distance the bug would crawl to get to MY backpack. 3. I used to let kids wear the sweater I leave in my room (on my chair of course), so this is now a no-no. 4. I NEVER place my bag on the couch anymore. I used to put my book bag on the couch and just grade right out of it. NOPE NOPE NOPE. Often my bag just stays in my car. I also have gotten rid of a cloth school bag - I now use plastic. YUP I found a nice plastic tote, pink and beige.

I actually don't enjoy shopping anymore (which is good for my bank account). I think all items should now have a scale score 1-10 of BB harborage possibilities....

Thanks Paul - this guy was perfectly round and in looking at instar pics they are most definitely not...I have even heard some people on here say they look more like a "line." Also, why would he ever stray from an awesome king size bed?! lol

16. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 16 2014 11:49:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Any of us that have sat on a concrete curb, driveway, pool deck, etc. during the spring and summer months have likely seen clover mites. These tiny, like head of a pin type tiny, orangie-red colored critters are omnipresent during the warmer months. And, if we "squish" them, they create a blood like smear. Yikes, could it be a bed bug ?

Don't mistake them for lice either....lol.

I had never really noticed these tiny bugs before, then last spring/early summer my daughter and her friend were laying down on our front porch (concrete) for a while enjoying the warm summer sun.

Fast forward a little while and I notice a couple of bugs crawling in my daughter's hair. Complete "OMG LICE!!" freak out moment. After some "investigating" I found all these little bugs on our front porch....smeared red when squished. I have never been so happy to discover the clover mites....and the realization that it wasn't lice. Whew!!!

17. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 16 2014 12:02:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Suzanne - 1 hour ago  » 
    I actually don't enjoy shopping anymore (which is good for my bank account).

It'll get easier as time goes on. I went through that, where I didn't want to shop or have anything delivered to my house. Kohl's carts *freaked* me out and I wouldn't use them for the longest time because of how they are made. But, as I did more and more shopping and had more and more deliveries made it got easier and it's not a big deal anymore.

I do check everything carefully, but I don't go overboard. I just look at it as part of life now.

Although, it would probably be better if I didn't shop so much.....but, it's getting closer to spring time and Kohl's has got some of the cutest stuff out this year. I even found a new perfume the other day called "Killer Queen"!! I don't know if it's actually new or not, but I did think that was pretty funny!

18. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 16 2014 16:55:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Butterfly - At the "height" of our treatment my daughter got lice. Imagine this: Living room barren of anything other than our futon, a kitchen chair and a bar stool, me running clothes through the dryer and picking nits, while my oldest is recuperating from spinal surgery. I swear, it was the summer from hell.

I do the same - cautious but trying not to go over board - I will say this, I didn't think my youngest cared that we need to be proactive until she came home from a clothing swap - before I could ask her when I got home she told me that she had run everything she got through the dryer! lol.

19. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 16 2014 17:43:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Suzanne - 44 minutes ago  » 
    Butterfly - At the "height" of our treatment my daughter got lice. Imagine this: Living room barren of anything other than our futon, a kitchen chair and a bar stool, me running clothes through the dryer and picking nits, while my oldest is recuperating from spinal surgery. I swear, it was the summer from hell.

Oh, my goodness, Suzanne!!! I couldn't even imagine what you all went through. You know that phrase, "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger".....well, bless your heart, you've got to be one of the strongest people I know!!

And I'm hoping this summer is filled with nothing but nice warm weather and lots of sunshine for you....you've earned it!!

20. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 16 2014 19:40:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Suzanne wrote,

I have stopped a few habits that were probably a bad idea to begin with. 1. No students are allowed to sit in my chair anymore. 2. My bags no longer sit on the floor - they are on top of my filing cabinets or on my shelf (not that the floor is the only place to pick one of these little buggers up, of course, however if a student brought them with them in THEIR backpack, which normally sits on the floor, I am (in theory) increasing the nautical distance the bug would crawl to get to MY backpack. 3. I used to let kids wear the sweater I leave in my room (on my chair of course), so this is now a no-no. 4. I NEVER place my bag on the couch anymore. I used to put my book bag on the couch and just grade right out of it. NOPE NOPE NOPE. Often my bag just stays in my car. I also have gotten rid of a cloth school bag - I now use plastic. YUP I found a nice plastic tote, pink and beige.

Excellent, way to go, Suzanne!

21. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 16 2014 19:44:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, dear! I must have missed that "at the height of treatment" part when I was more of a mess back then. You handled all well, Suzanne.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956