Cheaper Method of Mattress Encasement ?

(5 posts)
  1. Rosella in NYC

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Nov 10 2009 17:46:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I read the reviews of the mattress encasements, and I’m wondering what makes the recommended encasements cost over $100. I’m not at all concerned about looks, so can I just buy a cheaper heavy vinyl mattress cover/encasement (for about $10) and then duct tape (and I mean heavily duct tape) the zipper shut? (or whatever tape Home Depot has that is the strongest, stickiest tape) It appears that most of the concerns cited were about the bugs escaping the encasement through the zipper accidentally coming open. I would probably use 2 encasements, and have the zipper openings at opposite ends of the bed, so that on the “what if”, if a bug manages to get out past my massive assault of duct tape, they are still trapped in the second encasement (also heavily duct taped shut). Any thoughts? Are there issues/concerns other than escaping through the zipper opening and teeth? Am I being delusional, and just need to cough up $135 for a Protect-A-Bed encasement with the BugLock Zipper?

2. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Nov 10 2009 18:36:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Vinyl is hot and is more prone to tear. If the bed is near a heat source it may melt and vinyl can not be used in facilities due to fire regulations. I used to recommend vinyl ones with duct tape till better ones like Protecta bed became available. If you can only afford the cheaper ones it is certainly better than not using one. If you can afford it the better ones are worth it.

3. meremortal

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Nov 10 2009 19:27:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Layers and layers of duct tape will help protect your mattress INSIDE the encasement, however it may provide harbourage for bb's OUTSIDE of your encasement. Not all of the duct tape surface layers would be sticky enough to entrap them and may instead provide additional hiding places....

Just a thought

4. BB_Slayer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Nov 10 2009 19:46:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I was thinking that some big Hefty trash bags taped together with thick postal shipping tape or duct tape might work. You'd make a big bag out of a bunch of trash bags, put your box spring or mattress in it, then tape it shut.

5. Rosella in NYC

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Nov 10 2009 23:33:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the thoughts and tips (and creativity!).

I am also unsure if I should even be spending the money, or the effort, at this time. I have had about 11 bites in 17 days (mostly in clusters of 3 bites). I have not seen a single bug, fecal matter or blood stain. After the second set of bites I kind of freaked out and I laundered all my bedding, removed and washed my bed skirt (not returning it to the bed until this is over with), vacuumed my mattress (do not have a box spring) and floor, and wiped down my bed frame. I have now repeated this washing/searching strategy 3 times over the last 17 days. It is wearisome (not to mention getting expensive at the laundromat). I have also isolated the bed and put homemade “interceptors” on the legs. I am now sleeping in a long sleeve shirt and long pants tucked into socks.

I went to my dermatologist and he confirmed they are bug bites, but it is impossible to say with certainty that they are bed bug bites. (His off the record guess was that they are indeed bed bug bites.) He prescribed a steroid cream for the bites as they are HUGE and itch like crazy.

But I haven’t seen a bug!! How long from the time you first get bitten is it until you usually see the bugs? The first sight of a bug and I am going to get my landlord in here with an exterminator. But I can’t find a bug!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82