charm city success story

(10 posts)
  1. buggedoutinbaltimore

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 12 2008 17:28:57
    #

Login to Send PM

hi friends. it's been some time since i've posted here, mostly because i wanted to feel absolutely certain i was bed bug free before sharing my good news. i'm not absolutely certain but i am mostly certain, so i'm taking my chances and celebrating success!

my boyfriend and i moved from an infested apartment to a single-family home about three months ago. before moving we had suffered from an obnoxious landlord, two unsuccessful treatments, and a bed bug infested building for the summer/fall/winter of 2007/8.

for many months, dear friends, i was borderline obsessive about treatment and laundry and other compulsive activities, thanks to your good advice ;). i regularly honked the bed bug horn to local media and politicians and spent all my money on ziplocs and therapy. i eventually admitted defeat and the bug won. after washing, bagging, tossing, and destroying most of our suspect belongings, we made the move into our new home. on the way in to the new place, we watched a bug come with us. here's that post: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/my-bedbugged-exodus-warning-sob-story

shortly thereafter, we hired an outta-town PCO and his trusty dog to visit our new home. good news! no bugs then. but still not a believer like the paranoid sufferer i was, i wanted to wait a spell before screaming "success!"

i'm not quite screaming "success," but i can say that we have not been bitten or otherwise bothered by bugs or their associated insanity since our move. i'm still paranoid. i'm nervous that just after i hit "send" on this post, a bug will crawl out of this keyboard with it's middle finger in the air.

i have embraced life before bedbugs, life with bedbugs, and life without them. if life is with them again i know i will survive it. thank you thank you thank you for your support and well-wishes.

good luck, good people. and keep on keepin' on.

one more thing - please allow me to mention that cesar and his dog, tre, were fantastic. not only was the visit thorough and remarkable, cesar was a wealth of information. good man, good dog.

2. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 12 2008 21:18:18
    #

Login to Send PM

That's fantastic. Hooray for you & your BF!!

I am wondering if you could elaborate a little, however, on how you treated and/or ensured your bed was bug-free? It seems from your last, sad post (referenced & I remembered it) that you took your old bed with you to the new place, right? and that's where you saw the lone straggler bug, as it turns out.

Anyway, congrats again.

3. buggedoutinbaltimore

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 13 2008 9:18:28
    #

Login to Send PM

i am happy to elaborate on treatment, fightorflight.

shortly after moving in, we tossed our boxspring and our really lovely wooden bedframe - i just did not want to risk it. we covered the remaining mattress with a protect-a-bed cover and eventually purchased an inexpensive metal bedframe from ikea, along with wooden slats instead of a boxspring, figuring we could toss the not-too-costly slats and buy additional ones if those became a bug home. we sealed all the openings in the silverish metal bedframe with the always stylish duct tape, sprayed the slats of the bed with alcohol along with the baseboards in the new house. we washed and bagged our loose clothing and left most of our already washed and bagged items packed in their bins. and then we crossed our fingers!

when the dog came to our home, we opened our sealed items and boxes for a thorough sniffing and we got the seal of approval. horray for now. hope that helps!

4. buggedmama

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 13 2008 9:24:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hooray! (And it sounds like we both saw the bug-proofing potential of the same metal IKEA bedframe).

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 13 2008 9:58:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. halp_halp_halp

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 19 2008 7:45:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Congrats on your move! Can you share a bit about what it costs to bring down Tre & Cesar, and how dog-sniffing works? I am still in the suspicion stages in my Charles Village sublet, but I've already been back home to my long-term rental in Virginia three hours away, unknowing that I might bring bedbugs with me on the clothes I tossed all over the floor, bed, etc. I slept in two different beds while I was home! Now I feel desperate to figure out (1) do I have bedbugs here in Baltimore; (2) did I take any home to Virginia. Can a dog answer these questions? How??

7. buggedoutinbaltimore

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jun 25 2008 9:37:47
    #

Login to Send PM

hi hhh.

i am happy to share with you the dog-sniffing process - at least as it related to my personal epidemic. for the record, cesar and tre were really very thorough and i felt confident with their good work. i am not an expert on dogs, but i understand that if you do have a bed bug problem, a trained dog will generally be able to confirm that for you with its expert sniffer.

please feel free to send me a private message and i can let you know what helped me in baltimore. unfortunately there are a whole lotta places infested in our city and not many resources yet for our neighbors. good luck!

8. halp_halp_halp

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jun 25 2008 10:47:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I PM'd you. If I can get a diagnosis of bed bugs I am prepared to holler it from the rooftops and also share the news with all my coworkers at the poor people's legal center where I work, so maybe I can learn some more about why this is such a silent issue!

9. surrounded

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jun 21 2009 21:00:40
    #

Login to Send PM

are you talking about the
    "REBBENES
    Bed frame
    $89.99"

at Ikea? thats the only metal one i saw. It looks like you need a wooden platform with it? i dont think it has slats?

10. surrounded

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jun 21 2009 21:03:15
    #

Login to Send PM

or was it this one, the
    HEIMDAL
    Bed frame
    $129

its a bit frightful looking, makes me think of jail or an orphanage....

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

293,552 posts in 49,285 topics over 152 months by 21,598 of 22,023 members. Latest: TW20, MyAccountHere, eldina714