(4 posts)
  1. sarha

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Apr 19 2008 19:57:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

I had bed bugs last year and had a very extreme reaction to the bites. They itched like crazy, were large, angry red welts, and scarred. They were also usually in a row pattern. In general they were hard to miss.

I had a PCO come and exterminate, bagged, sealed, washed, vaccummed and in general did everything by the book.

Now it's about a year later, and for the last month or so I've been noticing very, very small little bites. They only itch for 15 min or so, and disappear within a day. Accompanying this bites, I have noticed what appear to be small blood spots on my sheets.

With the blood spots alone I am ready to call in a PCO again to exterminate, but I am also confused by the total difference in my body's reaction to the bites. Is it possible for your body to somehow get used to the bed bug secretions that causes the itchiness?

If anybody can give me some insight into this issue I would really appreciate it.

2. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Apr 19 2008 20:54:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Some medicines and nutritional supplements can modify the bite reaction. If you are taking antihistamines or anti-inflammatory Rx's they will tend to reduce the severity of the reaction.

You may want to rule out flea bites. You could place a flea trap in your bedroom to check.

3. angie

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Apr 19 2008 22:37:52
    #

Login to Send PM

My bites were like yours in the beginning of our infestation also. Big, red, itchy and left scars and lasted for like weeks. After 9 months of bites, I only got small, pin prick type bites that only itched if I happened across it. I believe that your body can build up a resistance to the bites and the bugs them selves. That comes from the mouths of experts at the extension office and top collage professors and the health dept. I would be calling the PCO on Monday if I were in your shoes.

4. fightorflight

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Apr 20 2008 3:55:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I have commented many times here about bite reactions - lingering sensations, different bites look different on same body, etc., etc.

Lately I have been wondering about this: In 1999, I stayed on the couch of a friend in New York City during a visit. After a few days I started waking up itching and after about 5 days I became convinced the friend had bedbugs. This was partly because I woke up in the morning convinced I had been bitten during the night, but could never find any pests. I think this would be around the beginnings of the NYC epidemic and so I just didn't think too much of it - pest from the past, I'm outta here in a few days, who cares? I suffered from ignorance. As luck would have it (then), my bags were in the foyer far from the couch and I fortunately took no unwanted travelers with me. I never said anything to my friend (didn't want to seem ungrateful for his "hospitality") and it was a year or two before he realized his problem and subsequently spread it to many out of his ignorance.

So my question today is, why did I notice being bitten so readily back then and not this time around? Yes, I've got bite marks (now, months after the fact), but why didn't I sense being bit during the siege in my home last fall?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,592 posts in 45,046 topics over 137 months by 19,776 of 20,508 members. Latest: Mousehead, AnxietyCentral, Ohhmichasia