Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Changed reaction to bites in 2 weeks?

(4 posts)
  1. khan

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 2 2011 15:37:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Two weeks ago, I got bit badly on my back with six bites .. 3 in a line, 3 in a triangle. Alert to the possibility of BBs we examined the entire room, not finding any evidence. These bites caused a severe reaction, itching and welts the size of pennies each.

Exactly a week later, I got a few more bites, one set in the BLD pattern on the lower back, but total three other single bites on both arms. The size of the welts and the reaction was similar to the previous week.

A couple of days later we found a not-yet-mature bedbug near the bed and found a shed skin also, probably belonging to the same BB.

Since we caught that one, I've had no similar bites.... though I have two small bumps on the elbow which don't itch or welt up at all. Not sure if its a BB bite or something else .. we've found carpet beetles in abundance. The other thing is that my wife and two kids, who sleep in the same bed have not experienced any similar bites, and while I know some people do not react to bites, I'm hoping that percentage is not as high as 75% in my family

We're preparing for treatment, but hoping its the "just one" straggler which we managed to catch, since we can't find any other evidence of BB activity.

My question is - can the reaction to the bites change so drastically in 2 weeks (no itch, no welts) or is the reaction so different on the elbow than other parts of the body?

2. MadinMidAtlantic

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 2 2011 17:30:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Khan,
    From the reading that I've done, the reaction to bed bug bites can be different overtime depending on the person's body and where on the body the bite occurs.

Personally, I've had the crazy-big, ER-trip-worthy bed bug bites, but I've also had the BLD small red bites.

That said, I react pretty strongly to almost all insect bites and actually to most skin irritants. If you had a strong reaction to the BB bites, you might also have similarly sensitive skin and the smaller bumps could be something entirely different. Of course, just because those bumps might not be bb bites doesn't mean you don't have bbs in your home somewhere.

3. MadinMidAtlantic

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 2 2011 17:34:13
    #

Login to Send PM

4. jrbtnyc

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 2 2011 17:56:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Another variable often overlooked I believe: the bed bugs themselves can vary, so bites from one might give you a somewhat different reaction than bites from that other one, his third cousin across the room.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,173 posts in 46,246 topics over 140 months by 20,386 of 21,217 members. Latest: VAhouse, dontpanic, Koroifox