Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

cedarcide-best yet

(10 posts)
  1. minibughater

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jun 4 2008 17:20:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Has anyone heard of cedarcide's "best Yet" spray?? it's supposed to be all natural cedar oil spray and supposed to really work.
    after months of off and on minimal bug bites without any signs of fecal specks, bugs and other evidence. I decided to call a bed bug dog. the dog will be coming in on friday.

the protocal is a sweep, treatment, steam...sweep again and if any signs of bb's then another treatment.

So since I think we have a very mild case and contained in 1 room I wanted to save 1,000 bucks and just see where the dog points to and then buy "best yet" and do it myself since it is 100% safe. and also steam clean.

here is the website. any thoughts?
    they have some other cool products but the one for bed bugs is called best yet.

http://www.cedarcide.com/productguide.asp

2. miseryinthed

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jun 4 2008 21:55:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi minibughater,

As I, too, am desperately seeking a "miracle" natural cure for this scourge, I checked out the Cedarcide website, then Googled them for testimonials and reviews, and what i found disappointed me...

It really seems like one insider (as indicated by very consistent grammatical transpositions, errors, etc-i have a very trained eye for written linguistic patterns & have been able to identify internet fraud in this manner in the past) who is posing as several different consumers with rave reviews... they all contain WAY too much info about the products, as well as "suggestions" for how/when to use them. I found a pet-owner's blog on which someone was inquiring about the product (he said it sounded "too good to be true" & i agree), as well as the use of cedar in general to kill bugs, and someone posted a chemical materials data-guide of sorts which indicates that cedar oil can be a hazardous material/skin irritant. The guy who originally asked the Q said he emailed the site after a link they posted failed to connect, which made him suspicious; when he emailed Cedarcide.com they basically answered him with another rave-style testimonial.

From my short research jaunt, my understanding is that cedar-based sprays are great as repellants (esp. for fleas), but that they may be harmful if inhaled or if contacted by skin. Whether the product really works to kill bed bugs remains a mystery... one "reviewer", who claimed to "also be a scientist" said that it was one of the greatest inventions of the 21st century. He said this after claiming to have gotten in contact with the product's inventor, who is a "humble man who does not toot his own horn", etc. Smells pretty fishy to me.

I had hope at the outset, but judging from the lack of authentic positive feedback, and the only legitimate reported contact with that website being negative, my intuition tells me it might be a waste of money, which at this point i desperately seek to invest as wisely as possible in this problem, hopefully without going broke in the process. I think it's a safe bet that as the bed bug issue continues to be illuminated, there will inevitably be some folks ready to take advantage of us in our state of desperation.

I know that's a lengthy response, but hope it's helpful! Good luck!

P.S. My roommate mentioned hearing about some kind of natural oil that has a 'garlicky' smell that is supposed to keep bed bugs (& other mini-pests) at bay... any ideas what it might be?

3. minibughater

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jun 4 2008 22:42:21
    #

Login to Send PM

thank you so much misery. I like lengthy responses! =)
    anyways maybe it is too good to be true and by the name "best yet" it sounded really promising. have you or anyone else heard of bedlam, Cy-Kick or phantom??

I think that's what my PCO said they will be using and said it's completely safe once it's dried.

4. minibughater

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jun 4 2008 22:51:34
    #

Login to Send PM

actually it was called kicker not cy-kick

5. miseryinthed

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 5 2008 0:56:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi mini- yes, i'm still up, surfing for bug info, contemplating my next course of action... i'm staying at the home of good friends who just left for a 4 day trip; they have internet access so i'm taking advantage, esp w/ the insomnia, which i had before the bugs attacked...

Yes! I had a PCO come out last Sat- a small, family-owned company that we also use @ the restaurant where i work- and they used both phantom & bedlam (just checked the receipt last nite). One was sprayed along all baseboards/ceiling moldings throughout the house(i think phantom)& the other around the primary areas of infestation. The day after, i saw at least one or two in nearly every room in the house, which really scared me; i like to think that's bc they were trying to escape or something. So concerned was I about this that i immediately phoned my friendly PCO guy, and he assured me that the chemicals need a couple of days to take full effect, since the bugs need to come into contact with the chemicals.

I've seen a lot on this site about people NEEDING to be present to act as "bait" in order for an effective extermination, however, my PCO guy did not think this was completely necessary (althogh it does seem logical). He's scheduled to come back on Friday morning for another inspection (we originally discussed the possibility of several potential treatments), and he may have told me what the next step will be after that, but i've been so out of it lately that I'm not retaining info very well (seriously! my short-term memory is completely shot).

I've read elsewhere (maybe on this site but can't recall 4 sure) that bedlam "doesn't really work that well", and i was disappointed to see it on the receipt if that's true. I haven't tried the DE stuff yet, but lots of people seem to use it with good results.

I hate to say it, but because of my very unique situation (really long story),the most attractive solution for me is to get the infestation under the best control that is reasonably within my means (which are meager to begin with), make an extremely cautious move, have a PCO come to the new residence for good measure, and say my prayers that this might be over soon. I don't have much to move, but my biggest disappointment is the thought of ditching my awesome sofa- i just bought it 2 yrs ago, & it's the first "real" (non-crappy or hand-me-down)piece of furniture I've owned. I'm def. going to look into steam-cleaning, which i'll also want done in my car 4 sure, but i keep finding myself running into timing/money issues with all of this nonsense. "Inconvenient" doesn't BEGIN to describe it.

Anyway, keep us posted on how the chemicals work in your place, and I'll do the same... I have a feeling they're probably industry-standard right now for bed bug treatment, until they come up with something better... safer would be nice, too.

6. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 5 2008 23:51:03
    #

Login to Send PM

MiseryintheD

I have been using Best Yet with moderate success with fleas. I sprayed a captured bed bug directly & it quickly died.

It works to repel mosquitoes & other flying insects. I think it could also be useful as a flushing agent.

It works as a contact killer, but it doesn't seem to have a long term effect as a residual. I have to spray frequently to control fleas on my dogs.

I personally like the product, but I don't buy into the testimonial sales approach. I have been trained to be highly suspicious of products that rely on testimonials.

MiniBugHater
    I think the product could be useful as part of an IPM plan, but I would be wary of relying on any of the contact killer products as a stand alone approach to eradicate bed bugs.

Let us know if you decide to give it a trial.

7. bjamese321

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Feb 18 2011 12:37:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I have found isopropyl alchohol (rubbing alcohol) works good but for this method to work you have to do some research. 1st: Isopropyl alcohol does not kill the eggs but will kill the larvae and adults instantly. 2nd eggs hatch every 10 days so you could go from one to infestation in very little time. So for this method to completely eradicate the problem you need to find where the nest is if you have holes in your bedding more than likely the nest is there but the best way to find it is to call someone in to locate them.
    Spray your bed with rubbing alcohol 70% works no need for the 90% now because it doesnt kill the eggs you will need to spray everyday for about 2 weeks to prevent new eggs from being laid and it will kill the newly hatched ones if any. If you have holes in the mattres or box spring you will most likely want to get a new one. I recomend memory foam mattreses because it has no open spaces within the matteras so bed bugs wont be able to nest.
    Rubbing alcohol I found has another great application to it: If you notice bed bug bites DO NOT SCRATCH!!!! place a generous amout of rubbing alcohol on the affected area, the itching will stop immediately and you will notice within a few hours the bite will completely go away meaning you wont have the bump on your skin.

8. DustinBBKiller

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Feb 18 2011 12:42:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Strong bump to plug rubbing alcohol.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Feb 18 2011 13:06:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Keep in mind rubbing alcohol is flammable. Some people have set their homes on fire after using it to treat bed bugs.

It is a contact killer, but I would not recommend it as your main treatment method as bjamese321 seems to be recommending. That is the recipe for a very long battle with bed bugs. If you must self-treat, you have a better chance of hitting bed bugs (as a contact killer) with steam. Residual pesticides provide an ongoing kill. And dusts can also be helpful if used safely and appropriately.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Feb 18 2011 13:45:16
    #

Login to Send PM

@BJAMESE.

Few pros in the market seem to be able to locate nests.
    If a nest is deeper than ability for a contact killer to access, then it's not effective. How do you apply alcohol to a nest deep inside your walls.
    Holes in mattresses can be sealed. Even intact box springs are notorious for harboring bugs, as the fabric along the bottom is not that securely attached. In either case, mattresses and box springs can be wrapped.
    BB do not have "larvae". They smaller, lighter versions of adult BB, which go through five life stages.
    Skin reactions and what works to relieve them seems to vary widely.

What's your purpose in posting this crap information?

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,194 posts in 50,136 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69