Cautiously Optimistic - 2 months in / 1 week no bites [now: 2 months later]

(10 posts)
  1. BurnItDown

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 7 2015 20:03:15
    #

Login to Send PM

It's been over a week since I've seen a bed bug or been bitten. I've been fighting the battle for over two months now. Made many mistakes along the way.

Wednesday I get my third PCO treatment. The first two were good, but I kept catching about one instar every four days. Assuming all goes well with this treatment, I'll continue in a maintenance phase: being cautious and practicing the basics (clothes in bags, regular hot wash/hot drying, vacuuming, bedding cleaned 2x/week, still using casements and interceptors, etc.)

I've read enough stories to know that by no means am I guaranteed to be out of the woods, but constant reductions in bed bug numbers is a positive sign as long as I remain vigilant. Thought I'd share some hope with those who are in the early phases of their bed bug war.

2. canteven

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 7 2015 21:17:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank oou. We just had our third treatment on Tuesday. We found 2 area of eggs which I vacuumed out very well, threw away, and washed out the vacuum with hot soapy water (canister vac). We saw 2 bugs in these area and killed them. In the past 4 or 5 days, we haven't seen any. My daughter said she saw and killed one, but I do not know for sure since she is 6. However, even just seeing 1 is a HUGE difference from where we were 4 and 2 weeks ago. I am optimistic we are nearing the end of the infestation, and then will be on the proactive side of keeping them out. I know we have a while to go and also aren't out of the woods, but am SO thankful to no be seeing them every time I change the sheets or even walk into the room at night.
    We are also being diligent with all you mentioned. School starts tomorrow for the kids and I am so nervous that they will spread them by mistake or we will get them back.
    For this, we are taking the precaution of putting the book bags in large ziplocks bags and they come out when they get out of the car to go school and they go back in the bag before getting into the car to come home. We will dry them on high heat every Friday. I am hoping this will be somewhat of a good plan... :-/
    Anyway, best of luck to you. Hopefully you will be ending the fight with these little devil bugs soon!

3. BurnItDown

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 8 2015 8:54:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck and I hope it works out for you. I was able to avoid spreading bed bugs to the office and the barracks, so although we've had them at home, it _is_ possible to prevent the spread to other people. Good luck!

4. BurnItDown

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 14 2015 12:46:42
    #

Login to Send PM

(For anyone who stumbles across this) Last night was the first time I sat down on my couch in three months. The third treatment from PCO's (personally supervised and witnessed by my landlord) seems to have done the trick.

Next up is to take the items that I've stored off-site, put them in a sealed bag with Nuvan strips and slowly reintroduce items back into the apartment.

Haven't had a bite in two weeks. Haven't spotted any tell-tale evidence. No critters in the traps. Some of my old bite locations do occasionally get itchy. (It's always the exact same spots.)

Just be taking sensible precautions I was able to keep them from spreading to my car, work, other people's cars or homes, etc.

5. BurnItDown

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 21 2015 12:54:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Still no bed bug sightings or bites. The forum often gets posts from people in the early stages of infestation or at the very end - but few in the hopeful, cautious middle stages.

I find myself finding excuses to stay out of my apartment and to spend more time in my secured bed than walking around the rooms. Since my third treatment have not had any bites or seen any evidence of bugs.

That being said, I still keep my clothes in bags (including shoes) and still wash/dry everything on high just in case. It's become the new normal for me. Don't even mind it anymore.

6. Paranoid and Scared

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 24 2015 8:30:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Burn it down, I'm a month out after my heat treatment and haven't seen a live bug since Aug.31. So I'm praying it stays that way. I have to ask how did you finally get up the guts to sit on your couch? I have not sat on my furniture since July. I am resigned to a hard kitchen chair. I barely visit other rooms in my home either. Safe bed and kitchen are where I spend my time and I get extremely anxious when I have to go home. I also still wash and dry everything on high heat and ziplock my clothes.

I'm not sure how to go back to being "normal".

7. BurnItDown

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 22 2015 14:02:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Paranoid and Scared,

It's taken me awhile to start going back to normal. At first it was just leaving one or two pieces of clothing out hanging on a door handle unsecured. Then it was putting some papers on the couch, leaving them there and taking a look at them hours or days later. My first sits on the couch were short, but have been getting longer and longer.

Last night was a milestone: I put a comforter back on my bed. For the past several months, I've been using just one sheet, one pillow and one blanket. I've also just recently put drawers back in my dresser (but still empty - clothes in bags). It's been a process of slowly reintroducing normal back into my life. The upside is that if I did spot any bed bugs, I wouldn't have to clean and bag everything - just the items that have been left unsecured.

I still wash and dry on high heat and all the clothes that aren't on a hanger are in bags.
    Progress, not perfection. One step at a time, one day at a time.

8. BurnItDown

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 30 2015 12:37:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Success!
    It's been another month and still no signs of any critters. I've been slowly migrating back to a normal life - for instance, not always putting my shoes in sealed bags, walking on the floor in socks. Still haven't mustered up the courage to unpack all of my clothes or put them into drawers, but more and more of my life is being lived normally. Just in case something goes wrong, I can always go back to full alert.

I did a treatment of Nuvan pest strips on all the hard to treat items: papers, pictures, journals, DVD's, boots. That helped put my mind at ease that I wasn't re-introducing pests into a clean apartment.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 1 2015 0:54:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Yay, Burnitdown! Glad you didn't have to burn it down.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. BugsUpInFlames

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 13 2016 22:31:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Congrats on your success!

It has taken me a LONG time to get everything more or less 'reintegrated', and it has been about 21 months for me! I'm well past the 18-month mark and a few items are still sealed away...in one basket contains a few 'hot' things. The doll that sat on my bed in particular. I'm just overly nervous there. It took over a year just to fully unpack my DVD's, even though they'd been nowhere near my bed. I had to accept that the whole thing was just lingering nerves.

Formerly BeenBuggedMidoriBird

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,669 posts in 49,314 topics over 152 months by 21,612 of 22,037 members. Latest: Jaded48, ctd2289, N52B30AE