Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Success Stories

Cautiously Declaring Victory

(13 posts)
  1. Freaked Fighter

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Dec 19 2014 14:59:47
    #

Login to Send PM

An expert so kindly did an inspection a couple days ago and I was declared BB free! Yeah! However, I'm not quite sure what did it. This is what I've done:
    -I've taken apart the furniture I could, blush-brushed CimeXa on the unfinished parts of the wood and cracks/crevices on the furniture, and bolt holes, etc., before I put it back together.
    -I threw away my couch (where I sleep) a while ago because I know for a fact some were living there because of the bites on my neck right at the hairline. Those bites stopped as soon as the couch hit the dump. I'm sure I could have saved it but it really was nothing special.
    -I've put CimeXa on and inside the baseboards and a little ways into the carpet.
    -I took down a wall because I thought they might be living there. I had smashed two on the seams of the paneling, but no. I'll put CimeXa on the inside of the walls before I reassemble them.
    However, I was still being bitten.
    -My daughter found a live one in an unused boxspring which went outside and will be taken to the dump very soon.
    -I encased an identical boxspring that is now in my living room, after applying CimeXa to it, too, but I did not encase the mattress because the dog and cat sleep with me especially when it's cold.
    -I put those black climb-ups on the bed legs which I think was a waste of money because of my pets shedding. There was always a bridge of shed hair for them. I did catch a nymph in one, though.
    -Apart from using the vacuum often, decluttering, and cleaning like a mad woman, including taking pictures out of frames and checking before putting them back together, checking books, that sort of cleaning, that was it.
    They must have all died somewhere between the time Loubugs so helpfully looked at one of the few I've actually ever seen and IDK when. I'm sure there's some in the encased boxspring, so that stays on for 18 months. The rest probably got sucked up the vacuum and I just cleaned the evidence away. But, the expert could not find any bugs, cast skins, fecal, nothing! I haven't received any bites in about a week.
    He took quite a while explaining these critters behavior, harborage choice, how they bite, and how shy they actually are. He showed me pictures on his camera of what a 2-month infestation (about where I was) looked like. He was very patient in answering all of my "what if" questions and there were a lot. I am eternally grateful for this knowledge. I will never have enough appreciation for all of the support on this site!
    However, I am still being "bitten" (I have to use quotes now, awww). Not nearly as much or as often. The expert gave me some advice on how to figure out what is still getting at me, and it worked. Flea nymphs.
    I do have carpet beetles. I also have a dog and cat which means an occasional flea even though I'm pretty good at keeping up on their spot treatments. I think there's just no way to keep fleas completely out if you have a pet that goes on walks or plays on the patio, etc. I also placed a Passive Monitor on my bed/sofa and the two chairs my cat rests in often. So far clean. I'll check daily for about a week, then weekly, then monthly. I believe Passive Monitors will be a part of my life from now on.
    Whatever is "biting" me, it's not leaving the same kind of reaction so it's not armageddon any longer but something easily dealt with (probably fleas). Anything is easier compared to a BB war.
    I was being cautious because of the spots on the inside of one of the walls and a fecal-looking new stain on a light jacket I had worn to bed two night ago. (The expert said wall spots are not fecal.) As I'm writing this my BB Blue arrived and all is clear, jacket and wall. I feel well armed now with the Passives and BB Blue and a lot of knowledge!
    Thanks to all, from newbites to pros and experts. The support here has been phenomenal! I truly would have gone over the edge if it weren't for this site and I plan on hanging around to offer support to those that are in that horrible place I once was.
    YEAH their gone!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you all!

NOT AN EXPERT but a survivor, twice. Read all the green stickies above, learn everything you can, and listen to the expert advice and your nightmare will end. You too can survive this!
  2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Dec 19 2014 15:06:54
    #

Login to Send PM

CONGRATS and YAY for you FF!! . . . and a very Merry Christmas it will be!

3. Freaked Fighter

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Dec 19 2014 15:07:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I should have added that I was very careful with my laundry, too. The dirties went into a big space bag and always kept locked and the clean ones went into a ziploc, 1 piece of clothes per ziploc, then all ziploced clothes went into a bin. I think this was an important step!

4. Freaked Fighter

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Dec 19 2014 15:10:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks AbS...thought I was headed for the funny farm a couple times.

5. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Dec 19 2014 15:42:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Great post. Congrats!

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 20 2014 0:32:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Yay indeed, Freaked Fighter!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. Freaked Fighter

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 20 2014 9:27:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks all!! Still haven't been bitten-I couldn't have done out without all of you. Thanks so much!

8. WhatBugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 20 2014 12:46:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Heh, put a smile on this ole mug early in the morning, good job!

As for the fleas, vacuuming will do them in. At first I vacuumed every day, no need to go crazy moving everything, just the open areas and around the edges of stuff. Now it is every two to three days, with moving a different item each time to get under it.

WhatBugs?

9. Freaked Fighter

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 20 2014 13:20:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, WhatBugs, I did throw some borax all over the floor and waited a couple hours and vacuumed. It did seem to help and I have been vacuuming more often and the fleas are getting me less add less. I'm just going to have to stay on top of it. Thanks again!

10. acaris

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 20 2014 23:04:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Congrats, Freaked Fighter! I'm so glad you were able to conquer it with Cimexa, vacuuming and laundry.

Did you use any spray insecticides? If so, which one/s, and how often, and to where?

11. Freaked Fighter

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Dec 21 2014 15:57:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I tried to use Temprid and an IGR that my local DIY guy said would do the job in three treatments (before I found this site, unfortunatly). I did one and then the sprayer broke. I couldn't get another one so that was it. If anything, it bought me time to find this site, become rational, and think things through. Maybe it knocked the numbers down but not enough to really notice a reduction in bites. Now I know that that stuff needs to be left to the pros. It's very dangerous, especially in the hands of a totally freaked-out, irrational, woman. I really didn't notice a reduction in bites until I could get a good vacuum and started cleaning, really cleaning, includung decluttering. I feel safe with the CimeXa because it takes so little to be effective and I only put it where it won't fly away, it's so light and fluffy. I still haven't been bitten but a flea or two will get me now and then. I get totally different reactions so I know it's fleas. I wish there was a quick, easy fix, as I'm sure everybody does, but I think if you want to go the chemical route it's best left to the pros. But those of us who can't afford to go that route it's not impossible to eradicate on your own without the big, bad, chemicals. I think I had a "light" infestation caught early although my itchy body would offer a different opinion at the time. My plan was to shut everything off except electric and save for a pro but apparently the cleaning, laundering, and CimeXa kept my cable on! Now I'm relying on the Passives and BB Blue. I'm still freaked. I still have stuff in bags I'm afraid to take out. Eventually, things will get back to normal. For you too. Hang in there and get to cleaning/decluttering. There really is life after bed bugs! Good luck to you!

12. Mmm

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Dec 21 2014 17:43:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Congrats to you! A merrier christmas you can have now! I hope to feel confident enough to declare a victory, but I am still skeptical. Want so badly to take my clothes out of bags and put them away, but so afraid if I do I will regret it. I reluctantly decorated my house for Christmas, but couldn't bare the thought of not doing so for the sake of my two year old....during our ordeal her life has been out of whack enough. Merry Christmas to you Freaked Fighter, so happy you were able to beat these vial creatures!

13. Freaked Fighter

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Dec 21 2014 19:49:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much! But, I'm right there with you. I canceled Christmas this year, really, and still have stuff in bags. Every itch I get, I worry. Guess I still have a bad case of "headbugs". I have a couple "bites" but I just keep checking the Passives and they're still clear (I do have a few fleas). At least you got your tree up! Merry Christmas and enjoy that day if for nothing else, your child. They pick up on our stress more than we think.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82