Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

caulk question--need to scrape up 1 week old caulking to reapply?

(6 posts)
  1. mangycur

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 11 2014 19:48:43
    #

Login to Send PM

my boyfriend and I were supposed to caulk a room together. Long story short, I ended up having to go to work and he assured me he would caulk the room himself. I get home and he proudly announces that he did the whole room with one cannister of caulk. I believe it-- because there are plenty of little cracks and crevices not fully covered. Of course he thinks I'm being a hyper-critical shrew--and you don't know me, but I am telling you, I am far from hysterical. I can see plenty of harborages leftover in his work. So I am planning to caulk on top of his caulk when he's not home. So do I need to dig up his previous caulk from a week ago to reapply or can I caulk on top of his week old caulk?

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 8:40:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear shrew, (ha, I couldn't resist the yucks !)

This depends on what type of caulk was used and well or poorly he did the job.

PLEASE ask the paint department guy some pointers on "how to apply caulk" and use a decent caulking gun, NOT the cheap "POS" type caulk gun.

Some tips:

> Cut the new caulk tube to the appropriate size for the gaps you are filling.

> Cut the tip on an approximately 45 degree angle.

> Less is more.

> Have a cup of water and rag or paper towels on hand. Dip your finger in the water and use your finger to smooth the caulk to create a smooth pro type finish. Use the paper towel or rag to remove any excess.

> Take a photo of your BF's work prior to "fixing it" and then your "more thorough" work. Use the photos as you see fit.

Hope this helps, good luck ! pjb

3. Canuck

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 19:33:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Couple of tips passed along from my hubby (he has done thousands of feet of caulking in a former career)
    - put a couple drops of liquid dish soap in that bowl of water to dip your finger in; better yet, put it in a spray bottle and lightly mist your line of caulk then smooth with your finger tip
    - your finger can become pretty sensitive pretty quick - try using kitchen work gloves for protection (the medical ones are too thin)
    Sheree

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  4. mangycur

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Apr 15 2014 15:11:57
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL P Bello!it would definitely be shrewish of me to take before and after photos. That said perhaps it would instill a newfound sense of delight in skill fullness? (Maybe not). Thanks to all of you for your tips!

5. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Apr 15 2014 19:06:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Having worked in the construction trade for a few years, and having applied probably miles of caulking in that time my advice is that you might want to play it safe and just remove the old caulk and start over fresh if you have the money and time to do it. Use a razor blade to cut and scrape away the old layer (Watch your fingers)! and after be sure the area is as clean as you can get it, and DRY too. A hair dryer is perfect for that, then using a caulking gun carefully apply an even layer of caulking, stopping every few minutes to smooth it out with a moistened finger and using a slightly damp rag to remove the excess. The whole idea is to get a seal that's completely impervious to both moisture and insects, and no type of caulking i know of is designed to be layered on top of any old stuff, no matter how recently the first layer was applied.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  6. mangycur

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 16 2014 21:28:52
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks for your tip, ITorture! i dont really have a choice but to make time to caulk alas.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982