Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

caulk metal bed frame?

(5 posts)
  1. pleasehelp

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Dec 8 2007 19:07:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I've decided to isolate the beds & think I remember reading here somewhere that it's a good idea to caulk potential harborages in a metal bed frame. Couldn't find it again, though... what I did see in the faqs was advice to cover those places with duct tape. Which technique would be better? How about both?

2. bummedindenver

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Dec 9 2007 12:37:16
    #

Login to Send PM

We isolated our bed but kept getting bites. I finally caulked the entire metal bed frame (which was actually two pieces stuck together), and that finally helped. If you caulk everything up, I"m not sure why you'd need duct tape.

But it was a ton of work and there were way more gaps, nooks, crannies, etc, than I could imagine.

I'd like to add, for treatment, we took the mattress and box spring off the frame, and put the frame on its side as requested by our PCO, but we did NOT take the two pieces of the frame apart. I think that was a big mistake. It never occurred to us during the treatment to even take it apart. the PCO never asked us to do it.

But only after we kept getting bites with an isolated bed did it occur to me that the frame could be the problem. And caulking helped. It helped, but when bites picked up again, we re-examined the frame and realized how many more gaps we had missed (because of the two pieces being put together). So, we caulked again. And again, it helped.

Hopefully it helps you too.

3. goawaybugs

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Dec 9 2007 13:09:12
    #

Login to Send PM

One advantage of tape is that it should (might) minimize tears in the cover when you move it on and off the frame. I used the transparent duct tape to make a slippery surface that the cover could slide on and (I hope) not snag. On the "no redundancy is a bad redundancy" theme, you could do both.

4. bummedindenver

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Dec 9 2007 17:14:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Good point goawaybugs....

I didn't think about the tearing aspect....and one important thing I forgot--when you caulk up the bed frame, the stickiness of the caulk makes it more likely the cover WILL stick and probably more likely to tear next time you pick up the encased box spriing. In fact, we might have used some tape too at one point to minimize the encasement sticking to the caulk on the bed frame. I can't even remember now. There have been so many iterations of the isolation process--during treatment and since that I hardly remember what we did when.

5. pleasehelp

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Dec 9 2007 17:37:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks much for the tips, bummed & goaway! I'll take the frame apart, spray w/steri-fab, then caulk & tape. Transparent duct tape - that's a new one on me - I'll look for it...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,404 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams