Caught three bugs . . . I think they're fleas [a: look like fleas]

(9 posts)
  1. LadyHeartilly

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Sep 14 2013 7:26:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I made a flea trap and caught what I believe are three fleas in it. They are really really really tiny. Like, so tiny that I wasn't even sure if they were specks of dirt or bugs. These are definitely fleas, right?

I also found something on my bed that wasn't there last night that looks like it could possibly be shed bed bug skin . . . or just a piece of lint. Can anyone confirm or deny what this is?

And finally, I took a picture of my lovely bites, which are definitely not fungus or allergies, as these are not things that I have problems with, and I've been sleeping on the same bed and the same sheets for many years.

So I take it I have a flea problem? The bites just keep coming. I get more every day. I am seriously terrified. Should I set a flea bomb?

2. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Sep 14 2013 7:42:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an insect expert, but they look like fleas to me. Do you have pets? I think your first step should be to get some really good flea meds for your pets. Then any fleas that jump on them will die, plus they must be suffering with all the bites they are getting. Talk to your vet, they can help with that.

Then get a good flea killer that is safe to use around pets and spray your floors with it. I've used bombs myself a few times, but prefer to just spray the areas where they are the worst. Fleas aren't that hard to get rid of once you get your pets protected. But, if you don't get them off the pets, then even if you kill all of them on your floors, they will still come back.

S

3. LadyHeartilly

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Sep 14 2013 7:47:58
    #

Login to Send PM

As I already said in a previous post, I do not, nor have I ever, owned a pet in my life. I really don't like animals that much. I used to think it would prevent me from a lot of problems many other people have to deal with, such as fleas, but that apparently is not the case.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Sep 14 2013 23:21:24
    #

Login to Send PM

You can indeed have fleas without pets. I think they're fleas but wait for an expert to confirm.

Second photo is not a cast bed bug skin.

See flea FAQ.

Fleas are easier to treat than bed bugs so don't get too discouraged.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 15 2013 16:07:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks like fleas in that picture plus bites. Normally flea bites are low (around ankles, lower leg) because flea on ground hops up onto you. You don't have to have pets to have fleas -- do neighbors or people who have visited you have pets? Not sure of species due to low res of picture, but you can also have fleas from other animals if these are living (unwanted pests like squirrels) in the attic of the building.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. help_me

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 16 2013 1:51:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely fleas in my amateur opinion. I've always had cats so it's something I learned about the hard way when I was little when our family cat got them. He was an indoor cat and we got them, it was horrible. My mother was up all night on her hands and knees trying to kill them. It doesn't take much or long for these things to go nuts when hot weather hits. I find early autumn to be a common time for them to proliferate. All it takes is bringing an egg on the sole of your shoe or live flea in the cuff of your pants or something with you into your house after you've been outside or as others said, around someone else who has pets. The last image you posted looks like a spider of some sort. I found something like this in my dryer at the beginning of summer after I brought clothes home from a store and put them in. Not sure what kind though.

7. LadyHeartilly

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 17 2013 13:55:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm pretty sure the thing in the second picture was just a piece of lint, and I was being paranoid. I'd like to thank everyone for their helpful responses. If they can attach to shoes or clothing, there's a good chance that I picked it up on a film set I did in the middle of the woods a few weeks ago. It's terrifying how quickly those things multiply, and I never see them during the day (except that one time)! They only ever bite me when I'm asleep, which makes sleeping feel unsafe. My friends recommended spreading Borax everywhere and vacuuming a lot, but that didn't seem to stop the bites. One of my friends said I shouldn't have slept with the Borax all over the room, and she's worried that it's going to make me sick. The best thing I did since finding out was going to a pet store someone recommended to me, which I never would have thought of on my own because I don't have pets. The man there seemed very knowledgeable and sold me a can of BioSpot Inverted Carpet Spray, which I sprayed yesterday morning and left in an unventilated room for over 12 hours while I was out. It was still pretty strong when I came back, so I cracked open a few windows to let it air out, despite being slightly scared that they might crawl back in. Since then, I haven't gotten anymore bites, and I'm pretty sure nothing could have survived being soaked in that stuff for over 12 hours.

8. NoNightmaresPleez

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 17 2013 14:07:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Agreed that picture one is definitely fleas. (I know from a lifetime of pet ownership.) Also, picture three leans toward fleas too. The ankles/feet are where fleas are most known to bite. Photo two looks like a crushed spider or mosquito perhaps. Really hard to tell. But from the dozens of bed bugs photos and videos I've obsessively been examining, it looks nothing related to that in my novice opinion.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 17 2013 23:35:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Lady, you can start a new thread to ask for flea treatment advice. In reference to your first post, I don't think bombs are highly thought of for fleas either, but ask one of the pros here.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,328 posts in 50,173 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14