Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

cat safety during and after PCO treatment!

(9 posts)
  1. twitchyscratchy

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Nov 1 2009 3:52:23
    #

Login to Send PM

hi all,

i have made some other recent posts, but embedded my cat safety concerns in the posting.

this time i'll ask outright- just how safe are these chemicals for cats? the PCO i talked to recommended a full 24 hours off-site for our pet cat on treatment day. when i explained that our kitty is a sick boy (seriously immunocompromised) he suggested at least 48 hours. fortunately we have a friend willing to take care of our boy, but i'm worried about him coming back to chemicals that could harm him!

anyone want to weigh in? i haven't had much luck searching for answers here.

thanks again all you helpful people.

2. meremortal

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Nov 1 2009 7:17:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Twitchy, what chemicals is your PCO using? I do know first-hand that some cats can react badly to permethrin. Please see: http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/permethrin.htm.

Also, this site (http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2236+2242&aid=590) states: "Do NOT use collars containing Amitraz, permethrin, or organophosphates on cats." I am not sure about Amitraz being used in the field for bedbugs, but permethrin and organophosphates (ie. DDVP) are risky for any kitty, especially an immunocompromised one. The site above also states: "Do NOT place mothballs or flea collars in the vacuum, since toxic fumes could result.", which I've seen recommended by a few people (not the mothballs but the flea collar). Not a good idea unless your vacuum hangs out in your garage or somewhere off-site.

You should also assume that your kitty can be affected by inhaling or ingesting DE, just like a human could!

It's all I've got off the top of my head. Hope this helps...

3. meremortal

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Nov 1 2009 7:22:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Twitchy...I just wrote a long reply for you but alas, the post didn't get through

To sum it all up, permethrin can cause a severe reaction even in healthy cats. The good news is that these products start to break down soon after being applied, and are generally not as toxic once dry. Organophosphates (DDVP) are also risky for cats. Keep in mind also that your cat can also be affected by DE inhalation or ingestion, just like any human would.

That's all I've got off the top of my head, hope it helps...

4. hathead

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Nov 1 2009 8:51:43
    #

Login to Send PM

our cats did not have any problems with 2 separate applications of chemicals
    which i assume had some permethrins

however, although one is very elderly, none of them have the
    health issues yours does...

best of luck - i know how worried you must be about your boy

5. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Nov 1 2009 10:36:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish I had advice for you, but although the PCO used some chemicals in treating my place, the chemicals were prelude to (or follow up for) the thermal treatment, and using them before thermal meant that a lot of them were likely broken down.

Since thermal is an all day affair, and the first day I could schedule my PCO visit was a day I was leaving town for like a week, my cat went from my apartment to the groomer for a bath and from there to my pet sitter's apartment for a couple of days.

As a result, I don't have any experience with her being in the apartment immediately after treatment or for a long time after multiple chemical treatments.

You might get a more specific answer from some of the PCOs if you post a list of the specific chemicals used. Of course, they are PCOs not vets, so they may not know how those chemicals would interact with your cat's specific health issues.

However, if you have a list of chemicals from the PCO, you might be able to run them by your vet for more details on that end.

6. meremortal

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Nov 1 2009 19:32:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh yeah, almost forgot...I read a while back that someone suggested using a flea collar in the vacuum bag. That's fine if your vacuum hangs out where you and your cat don't ie. the garage or garden shed, and you remove your cat from the premesis every time you vacuum, followed by a good "airing out" of your place. Reason being is that there are a number of flea collars still on the market that shouldn't be! They can create toxic fumes in an enclosed space.

Please see: http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/permethrin.htm

and http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2236+2242&aid=590

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Nov 1 2009 20:58:10
    #

Login to Send PM

meremortal rescued from spam.

meremortal, FYI (in case you do not see my response in the How to Use the Forums thread): http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/nobugs-my-post-disappeared

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. twitchyscratchy

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Nov 2 2009 13:01:22
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks everyone for your input. meremortal, you're right it is a permethrin based substance the PCO will be spraying. i know cats metabolize it differently than other mammals and some over the counter dog products containing permethrin have cause severe reactions/death in cats.

we arranged for him to stay somewhere for 2 days while we air the place out.

thanks again, this is a very helpful site.

9. meremortal

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Nov 2 2009 19:20:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry about the spam, guys/gals! I was trying to copy/paste and repost and the cat decided to help Should have read the 'how to use the forums' thread before using the forums...duh!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956