Cat

(6 posts)
  1. lilbuggr

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 20:09:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Yesterday I found one, what I think was, a bedbug in our bed ... on the backside of the quilt. The color was 'right' according to the images I've seen. It was approx. 2 millimeter at the most. It was so small so I couldn't get the camera to focus on it.

There's an outbreak here in our little city ... it's all over the news.

Ripped the bed of all the bedding today, put it in plastic bags and will take it to the dry cleaners Monday. Vacuumed the bed thoroughly, all seams and so on. Put both the box spring and mattress in plastic storage bags and sealed them.

Now I have severe anxiety and keep looking everywhere. Haven't found any more. I think I have a bite on my arm. I have sleeping pills so I can sleep, otherwise I go crazy.

It we have to bring in some exterminator, what do they do and how will that affect our cat??

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 21:36:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Welcome, Lil.

If an item can be machine washed, dry cleaning is not necessary. In fact, if an item is clean, you can toss it in the dryer only. (Dirty items should be washed, to prevent lock in of stains and odors).

Please review the FAQ on this site and search on some keywords, like "cat" or "dryer" for what others have said about these issues. I recall a lot of people worrying about their cats, but don't recall anyone saying a cat was harmed. Definitely ask your exterminator.

Make sure to dispose of the vacuum bag outside the home, sealed in plastic. If you have a bagless, wash the cup in hot, soapy water and inspect it. (Same for brush attachments, which are not advisable with BB). If you've left the vacuum alone, run it before doing the above (suck back any bugs in the hose).

Anxiety is normal. This is all new to us and even though we're in this together, it's terrifying and "embarrassing". You have us. Make an extra effort to treat yourself nice. Welcome.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. lilbuggr

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 21:44:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Anxiety is normal. This is all new to us and even though we're in this together, it's terrifying and "embarrassing". You have us. Make an extra effort to treat yourself nice. Welcome.

Thank you, thank you! All day, I've been looking at pictures of them online, so now that's the only thing I see when I close my eyes.

I think that's what I saw, even though it wasn't more than two millimeter at the most. It JUMPED. Do they do that?? When I was finished trying to take a picture of it, I was about to grab it with some paper tissue, and several times it jumped straight up.

On several sites, I've read that this has nothing to do with personal hygien and that's encouraging at least. I feel like I haven't been cleaning properly ... amongst all the other emotions I have right now.

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 21:51:39
    #

Login to Send PM

BB can fall from above, but do not jump or fly.

5. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 22:05:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a bed bug. Like Cilecto says, bed bugs do not jump or fly. Sounds like a flea.

Richard

6. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 22:07:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert, but that sounds like something fleas might do. Subject occasionally comes up here. IIRC, Moderator has suggested something called a "plug in flea trap" for detection. AFAIK, fleas are less onerous than BB.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula