(5 posts)
  1. js2337a

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jun 23 2019 16:07:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all,
    I wrote in a few weeks ago questioning whether a Vikane Treatment had worked. That post, admittedly, was highly driven by anxiety. You can read it here: https://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/failed-vikane-treatmentfecal-idnext-steps

In short, I vikaned all my stuff when I found a BB nymph two days before moving (nymph was confirmed by a PCO). However, I've been in the new place two weeks and I'm still skeptical about the treatment as I've been receiving a new bite every few days (usually single, always in a random spot). If they ARE in my room, my thought it was because the vikane failed due to an overcrowded moving van (really, the mover stuffed it to the max), or they are coming in from somewhere else (I'm worried, alternatively, that I brought them to work, and then brought them back with me to my home).

Today, while doing yet another inspection, found this inside an old picture frame that I took apart. The frame is in a plastic storage bin that has been under my bed since i moved (the picture frame also happened to be set right next to my bed at my old place). I have no idea if it's recent or old, but I'm pretty sure it's a cast skin.

https://imgur.com/tK5QIy9

I've purchased two passive monitors and have placed one at the head of my boxspring of my bed. My question is, will BBs resettle to the passive monitor if there are storage bins under my bed (i.e. potential harborage)? For the record, i have a metal bed frame and encasements on both the box spring and mattress. I'm not sure if I shouldn't bother waiting and just alert the landlord based on the cast skin or wait to see if the monitor turns anything up (if the cast skin IS old).

finally, for the experts, I'm curious what, on a behavioral level, motivates bed bugs to hitch hike and travel. if they theoretically have a set harborage along with a constant source of food (for example, like in a hotel), why would they pick up a ride on a suitcase?

I know this is a long and convoluted post. I appreciate you taking the time to read it.

2. lalmaroad

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jun 23 2019 19:06:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I had the same sort of questions and ran across this thread in the search engine. Hope it helps.
    https://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/question-for-mr-cain-re-passive-monitoring

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
  3. js2337a

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jun 23 2019 19:15:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much lalmaroad!

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jun 24 2019 5:43:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Cockroach nymph shed skin.

If a suitcase is bumped into them or on something on which bed bugs live, they can crawl onto it. The bumping could be a new food source. If they crawl about and get onto it and it happens to leave (picked up, carried away), they get carried to somewhere else.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jun 24 2019 7:16:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The problem with building anm infestetation model to try and work out why thimgs transfer is that you are dealing with biology rather than mathmatics or physics. As such the only way to work it out is to observe and collect data and I dont think we will get many volunteers for that study or much support from the ethics committee.

This is essence a logic trap or "stopper wave" where people try to logic their way around the problem but get caught out by forgetting its biology not physics. This is why "engineer inventors" have such issues with bedbugs because their minds tell them there "must be a universal solution" which they can design but they never but enough time into observing the insects themselves.

As for bedbugs leaving existing harbourage in order to move into the Passive Monitor there a few videos on YouTube that show them doing that, such as:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oPqjEYO6f8

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,804 posts in 49,552 topics over 153 months by 21,709 of 22,154 members. Latest: Jcschw, Zirrion, Natureboy325