Good evening all (or morning to the UK folk):

Story thus far:

OH NO BED BUGS! WASH WASH WASH!

Treatment #1 (Aug 26)
    OH NO STILL A FEW BUGS, caught in the climbups on my bed

Treatment #2(Sept 7)
    OH NO? Blood on my sheet near my feet (maybe from my toe), But no bugs

Work Treatment #1 (Sept 13)
    Found a bug at work, prolly hitched somehow on me to work OH NO. They treated at work.

Treatment #3 (Sept 19)
    Time goes by...
    I get no bites (at least nothing that I notice, nothing that itchs and I do react so, I'd think that i notice)

October 11: GAH that itches... I have a bit on my shin that itches like hell.. I freak out and think it's a BB.

Work Treatment #2: (Oct 13)
    Work brings in their guy to treat with Temprid and Gentrol.

Later that day, I feel itching on my back, go to the bathroom... GAH, like a Breakfast, Second Breakfast, Elevensies, Lunch, Dinner, Supper, Nightcap pattern on my back. Not really itchy, but, a bit.

Horrible freak out.

October 17, 2011: My Bro in law comes up this evening to help me do an inspection of my place. He works in the hotel industry and has some experience inspecting. I have not done a thorough inspection since my first one while I was looking for bugs before treatment #1.

We check the floor, we check the boards, we see no bugs, no skins, no fecal.

We check the sheets, mattress, spring (which is really a futon mattress), both encased, no marks whatsoever.

So, we pull the mattresses, and start looking at the bed slats. They are no sealed, but are bare pine. We see NO fecal. Then, we are pulling them up and see a cast skin. It is definitely a later stage nymph skin. I'd photo it, but my camera is not equipped to zoom that well (even with macro). It is on the underside of a slat. I am 100% certain that in treatments 2 and 3, the PCO DID NOT PICK UP THE SLATS, they merely sprayed on top of them. I know this because I left slips of paper under the slats that were still there and partly soaked after treatments.

So, my question is: Do I need new treatment where one late-stage cast was found, NO fecal was present anywhere on the bed slats or other bed spots, and I've had mystery bites in the past week, but nearly a month after last treatment.

What are the thoughts about if I still face an infestation.

My bed has had climbups since treatment 1. I did catch 2 bugs in the climbups at one point, nothing since then.

Do I still have an active infestation, or, as I want to think, is that cast skin just an oldy that wasn't caught by PCO or my lazy-a$$ before?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 18 2011 5:27:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would discount the cast skin as there is no way to say when it was shed, it may be an old one you just found, looking for live and faecal is much more important.

Given the break in activity it is not likley to be the same infestation but it could be an indication that you have not identified the source in your case. I would check with all adjoining neighbours, check work and think about your routine and where you may come into contact with them.

Its certainly something to keep an eye on and try and work out what is going on but I don't think I would advise rushing into a treatment without something more confirming.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. OhNoes

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 18 2011 7:11:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David,

I didn't "Freak out" like I have before. I have a feeling that it was just a left-over from before a prior treatment.

At this point, I think my plan is to wait and see. I'm going to set up a BB Beacon in my office over the weekend to see if I draw anything out.

I'm also probably going to spend the money and bring a dog in.

It is just very frustrating, my climbups show absolutely nothing. I know that they have captured the pest before, so, I feel confident that if anything was coming in from the neighbor, they would be caught this time as well.

Maybe the bites I got really are just a mad spider that got under my shirt and decided to let me know he was angry. At least, I hope that is the case.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,207 posts in 50,139 topics over 155 months by 21,919 of 22,414 members. Latest: Bigworm, Cain69, Bery10