Casing or a dead bed bug?

(7 posts)
  1. MissE

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 15 2019 0:55:27
    #

Login to Send PM

New forum member here. To start, I experienced a bed bug infestation last November while staying at my parents’ house for Thanksgiving. I had a very bad allergic reaction to the bites, which is how they were discovered. We brought in a bed bug sniffing dog and it alerted in 3 of the rooms in their house, so we immediately opted for a heat treatment. I was in the process of moving so I had been storing some items with them and was extremely paranoid about bringing bugs back to my condo and, subsequently, my future house. I had a (different) bed bug dog check my condo and even though the dog did not alert, I chose to have the entire house sprayed and also bought mattress encasements for preventative purposes. I have been very careful since moving to my new house in March and had not had any visual signs of bed bugs until yesterday.

I found the abdomen of a dead female bed bug by a wall in my dining room. It has either been dead for some time or died from dryer heat because it was so dry and brittle that when I picked it up it began to break apart. It was reddish brown and rounded at the bottom (clearly a female) and appeared to be an adult based on the photos I have seen. It was missing the legs and head and there was a dried out blood spot in the middle, which is why I thought it had to be a bed bug. Now I am concerned that it may have been a casing after reading some of the threads on here and seeing photos of casings. I am hoping for some clarification based on this information as to if this is either a dead bug or a casing. Would dried blood be present in a casing? I know casings usually stay in tact but are they also very brittle and easily break? I am sorry I do not have a picture! Trying to give good details - the specimen was very flat and the color on the back was brown/red and appeared shiny. I am trying to keep calm but I cannot figure this out and it is giving me anxiety! I have not seen any other signs and have lived here for 4 months. One other thing I should mention - I am in a townhome and the neighbors who I share an adjoining wall with just moved out and had their home professionally cleaned this week. Based on the condition of the bug though I do not think it traveled to my house (unless it is a casing!) See my mind is going in circles! What bad luck that would be to have two completely unrelated cases.

Any insight is appreciated. I’ve ordered interceptors for my beds so that I can begin to monitor.

Thanks!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 15 2019 7:46:56
    #

Login to Send PM

That was not a bed bug abdomen, but some other insect. Bed bugs tend to stay in one piece minus the legs and antennae.
    Post an image if you have one.

3. MissE

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 15 2019 9:33:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for responding. I was so worried because his bug had all of the characteristics of a bed bug: color, size, shape and even the lines on the back. The dark black spot in the middle also freaked me out because it looked like dried blood. I wrapped it in a paper towel so I could take a picture but after handling, it started crumbling apart so I thought it was no longer identifiable.

I am grateful that this site exists because it has really educated me about bed bugs and how to deal with the stress and anxiety that a bed bug infestation can cause. I never want to go through this again. It has been so traumatic and to hear others' experiences has helped me cope and realize there is hope and that I can get to a place where I won't be in constant worry of another infestation. I am sorry to hear that so many people have experienced this because I would not wish this on anyone. I will say if there is a silver lining it is that it has made me really tidy up and declutter!

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 15 2019 10:30:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, it is a great motivator for trimming down on "stuff."
    For all of the images of lone abdomens posted I've yet in six years ever seen one that was in fact a bed bug. There are common traits and appearances with insects, so without really studying they all tend to blend together. When I first started hanging around these parts I mis-identified a cockroach as a bed bug, and from what I remember the photo wasn't the problem, it was my untrained eye.

5. Airbnbug

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Aug 21 2019 14:38:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi MissE,

I recently found the exact same thing you described. Here are some pictures. Is this what you found? I would also like an expect to identify.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/183705914@N02/48594399042/in/dateposted-public/

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Aug 21 2019 14:53:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Also not a bed bug.

7. Airbnbug

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Aug 21 2019 14:54:47
    #

Login to Send PM

In your opinion what could it be? Can you share any more insight on why it isn’t (wasnt, RIP) a bedbug?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82