(5 posts)
  1. scaryterry

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed May 29 2019 15:11:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all.

Last summer, I started getting what I now know to be carpet beetle dermatitis. I thought it was BBs at first and had a dog come, two PCOs, and nothing was found. I started seeing some larvae here and there for CBs and could never find a main source. I was ranging from 1 to 15 itchy, miserable marks between my torso, arms, and legs (and even gentials at times) every week. I was losing my mind. Then winter rolled around and it slowed down and then eventually stopped. I felt a huge wave of relief.

Well, as of about a month ago, I've been getting them again. And the past week has been super aggressive. I don't know what to do. I can't find a source. I try washing my stuff in hot constantly but I feel like the hairs don't wash out, or something. I've tried keeping my stuff in bins but I feel like it still gets infected somehow. I don't know if the larvae are just crawling on my sheets when I'm sleeping or at work or what. I feel like NOTHING I DO can stop them from getting their hairs on my stuff and giving me the itchiest, most demonic marks ever.

I'm moving across the country in a few weeks, not because of this (although getting away from this is a perk) and if I somehow bring the CBs with me, I genuinely don't know what I can do.

If anyone has any ideas beyond the obvious "wash your stuff and vaccum", PLEASE let me know. Or if there's something I can use to stop the itching. I have a steroid gel that was prescribed to me last summer and I'm almost out but it's the only thing that stops the itching/makes them go away faster.

Can anyone relate? I feel so alone. Everyone I talk to feels bad but no one can relate. Doctors have no idea and have never heard of carpet beetles.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed May 29 2019 15:28:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Welcome to the first place in the world that talked about carpet beetles as a cause of skin reactions, all thanks to a lady in North London who allowed me to remove a seti from her cleavage many years ago. There are still plenty of people who do not understand the issue and for years I had plenty of naysayers even around here would "simply could not agree with the fact it happens". Later this is where you will come into play.

If you read the document linked below you will see its not actually just about washing and vacuuming, while they help they can also hinder because the feedback into the static which causes the interaction between you and the hairs:

https://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/carpet-beetles/

My top tip for resolving the issue is to use a water based air purifier such as the type known as "GoodSphere" which helps to re-balance the relative humidity thus negating the static as well as "washing out" the hairs from the air (on top speed it takes less than 10 minutes to wash the air in a standard large room).

If you are relying on washing you may want to use a biological washing powder or additive to help digest the hairs out of the clothes.

Now for that later part. The long term solution is for you to help to educate people, the spend a little time educating medical professionals and posting about it so that others will start to realise there is a solution and that its an issue. Just don't don a white hat and claim its all your invention because I get enough stalkers and trolls already TYVM.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. scaryterry

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed May 29 2019 15:45:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Are the hairs really just floating around my room waiting to static stab me as I go about my day? Is that really what's happening?

Can you recommend any of those washing powders to use?

Also, that purifier seems like a good idea after I move should it keep happening. Do you have any tips on how to NOT bring these monsters with me?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed May 29 2019 16:00:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes, as written in the document I have linked to. The seti are so fine most people cant see them in the air and often they have fallen out by the time the skin reaction starts (in most cases because people react to the hole not what made it).

No, its not about the brand its about the enzymes inside that breakdown dirt and organic matter through enzyme action.

I would advise you do this in the time you now have available through the dawning reality that your life is not ebbing away before your eyes so you start the new location on a more positive note telling your new friends and family about how you found a simple solution to what seemed like a complex problem until you started to actually understand it rather than being driven by panic.

David

PS If you get the feeling I am hoping out hopes that you will communicate a quick search of the forum will reveal that CB's have been my groundhog day pest issue for many years and when even the first academic presentation on the subject referenced some bloke in London (I did correct them of course) its clear I am not going to get this out much further without your new found energy being diverted into advocacy for the issue, or maybe just 5% of it (as a sign of appreciation).

5. astrogirl

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed May 29 2019 21:16:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Omg This all too familiar! 2 pcos and a dog and no bbs, just carpet beetles. I’ve been keeping my main clothes I wear in plastic bins for the past 7 months! Did the humidifier and vacuuming and no socks or shoes in the house. Still getting reactions. I can’t find the Good Sphere thing in the US though? Is it available here?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,431 posts in 48,820 topics over 151 months by 21,437 of 21,839 members. Latest: bedbugtoronto, stinson, WendyW