(5 posts)
  1. Neverbug

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 4 2011 23:40:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello!

As of this week, I started getting lots of bites- mostly on my legs. My boyfriend got maybe a couple, (that don't itch) nothing like what I've experienced. We vigilantly searched our bedroom for bed bugs or fleas..but alas no trace. However.. along the walls we found these little guys:

http://www.dropshots.com/Neverbug#date/2011-11-04/08:31:34

http://www.dropshots.com/Neverbug#date/2011-11-04/08:31:50

Not the best pictures.. but they definitely don't look like bed bugs. Based on some research through this page and other sources... my thought is that they are carpet beetle larvae and their hairs are causing a reaction! Does this theory sound legit? If so, does anyone know how to rid these critters?

2. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 5 2011 3:58:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, they're carpet beetle larvae.

If so, does anyone know how to rid these critters?

David Cain has an interesting doc online:

Carpet Beetle

3. sc907

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 5 2011 13:08:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello as well!

A similar case to the original poster, I moved into my new apartment in London in early October, then about a week ago I started developing a large number of what appeared to be bites along the underside of my arms and legs. At first I put this down to a reaction to something even though I'm not aware of having any allergies. However these bites have continued, in varying intensity, since.

I say bites but they're more like the bumps you get from mosquito bites, however I cannot see the entry wound, i.e. the bite itself, just the swelling caused. They've continued to be located along the lower to outer side of my arms and legs, however they also move up to the top of my knees and ankles at times, though as yet there have been none on my face or torso. They are also not visible when I wake up, only starting to itch perhaps an hour after waking up, itching for a few hours, before subsiding in the late afternoon. They are not noticeable or visible the next day except for the new ones.

My initial reaction was Bed Bugs, as the bed I have is a wooden slatted frame, and so commenced what I thought to be a thorough inspection of my room. The mattress turned out to be new and there were no stains, fecal matter or husks, and likewise I could not find any of these upon the frame or headboard, nearby wooden drawer, nor along the wooden floor and skirting. I did however find my first (what appeared to be) carpet beetle larvae underneath my bed frame. I have subsequently found about another 4 of these larvae and only 2 other very very small insects (which I can't identify as I don't have a magnifying glass, though am considering taking them to uni to use the microscopes!) on the floor near the bed legs and skirting boards.

As the bites continued, I decided to stay up at night with a red light headtorch in my bed until 4am on two occasions. On both, I found no signs of any bed bugs even whilst remaining absolutely still for a good half hour to an hour, though the after falling asleep a new set of bites appeared. I still have yet to find a trace of husks, eggs, fecal matter or blood spots on my very pale mattress cover and mattress itself.

So in a roundabout and long winded way, is it possible that I am dealing purely with carpet beetle larvae and reacting to them? Or is it more likely to be bed bugs and should I look into calling my landlady to call in a PCO? Its slightly stressful for me but still manageable, which I put down to having lived in the tropics and being eaten alive by mosquitoes on a regular basis!

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 5 2011 23:06:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you suspect bedbugs but find carpet beetles I can't stress enough the logic of ceasing the bedbug hunt and addressing any CB issue before restarting. It may be that resolves it and you can step down the bedbug scare.

If you post images here we can usually ID anything that in focus and at reasonable resolution. If you can't take images there are postal services ( I run one and get about 4 samples mist days ).

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. sc907

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 6 2011 15:27:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear David,

Thank you for the quick reply, I will treat it as you've recommended for now and see how it goes!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,275 posts in 46,531 topics over 141 months by 20,521 of 21,382 members. Latest: Worrybug, bugBgone123, Wings83