Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Carpet Beetle Problem Bed Bug Question

(4 posts)
  1. worriedinva

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Aug 10 2010 14:52:44
    #

Login to Send PM

About 6 days ago i woke up with a few bites on my arm. I started to think insect bites. After another night in bed i woke up with another 2 bites on the same arm just inches away. I started to worry that the culprit could be bed bugs. I started to investigate and did not find any bugs of any sort in the bed or between the mattress and box spring. After a few more days i had a few more bites and i was really paranoid so I looked even harder. Again i did not see anything but i clumsily knocked over a small garbage can near by.

This got me looking at the floor, which is carpeted. I noticed some brown stuff which was viewable while standing. I got down on my knees to see what it was and i saw some wormy looking things in the same area. Now since then i have been scouring the internet for info. It seems these were carpet beetle larvae. Now a large portion of these were within a 3 - 4 foot radius. Upon the closest inspection i still found nothing on the bed sheets, on the mattress, on the box spring or metal frame. I did not see any of the larva or any discoloration whatever it might be from. I bought a new vacuum cleaner and sucked up everything i could. I also sprayed with some insecticides. I went over every square inch of the room moving all furniture and in fact inspecting the bottom of all furniture. I also sprayed the wooden furniture. I found another "pocket" of the larva in one area that was near a non sealed chest. The chest had some pillows in it but unlike a regular old fashioned chest this had a half inch gap near the top which seems like the way these larva got in. Upon looking around the house i found ne here or there but within 15 feet of the original 3 foot diameter core. Now i don't think there were hundreds of these things. I am pretty confident that they are a carpet beetle larva even though i have yet to see an adult. Now there were a few well used shoes near the areas where i found some of these and in fact i had some dirty clothes on the floor and found some there too.

After reading some articles it seems that people are allergic to the bristles from the larva. I am hoping that is what it is from. What I want to do is try to rule out bed bugs Now i realize that bed bugs don't only live in beds. But i have not seen any bugs in the bed. And i have not seen any dark fecal matter spots or bed bugs in the carpet. I also realize that spraying may not help the carpet bug issue but i figured it probably wouldn't hurt either.

Now one more fact that i can say is that on the nights where i received the bites i had picked a pillow up from the floor (near to the cast skins and larva). What i was thinking is that the pillow case got some of the hairs which transferred to my arms and therefore I got the allergic reaction. I had a few on a knee but i expected those may be from kneeling near the stuff and also from a pair of shorts i wore that were near the floor.

Since finding them i have bought a new vacuum cleaner which just showed how bad my old one really was. I have spread some insecticides that are not harmful to people. I have gone over every inch of the room that had them in it and i will be doing the same to the other rooms in my apartment. Also all clothing that was in the room has been sent to be washed.

My first question is whether the fact that i have not seen any of the tell tale signs of bed bugs, i have seen carpet beetle larva and castings may point that my source of skin irritation is from the carpet beetle and that I do not have bed bugs?

Also by vacuuming and using products is it likely to get rid of them so that i do not get any more skin irrations, assuming I keep up the vacuuming and a careful eye out for them? It just seems that the bites showed up at the same time the casings and larva did. Also if vacuuming helps would it be true that a steam cleaning would help clean even better, or is that not necessary?

I did not get any more bites last night and that includes me being on hands and knees in areas where these larva were. The future plan is to tackle one to two rooms a night (6 rooms total plus long hallway) and then next week do it all again and look for any signs of anything coming back. Does this seem like a reasonable plan of attack?

2. worriedinva

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Aug 10 2010 14:56:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Also i could throw in that my wife who sleeps in the same bed does not have any irritations on her skin at all. Forgot to include that. And thank you in advance to anyone who has taken time to read and comment.

3. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Aug 11 2010 0:17:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds good. I would keep vigilant, but you might want to upgrade to a HEPA filtered vacuum, the kind for when you have pets. Carpet beetles seem to be taken care of by work and sometimes by a light application of pesticides or DE.

4. worriedinva

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Aug 11 2010 9:48:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for that response. My vacuum does have a HEPA filter. I was curious if the hairs would still stick in the carpet and come up. If so would a steam cleaner do a better job since it kind of washes the carpet. I have appllied pesticides. I have not used DE yet but if i see them start to sprout up again i might try it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88