CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES INSPIRATION ON 11-11-2010

(22 posts)
  1. carnival guest

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 13 2010 21:40:39
    #

Login to Send PM

As soon as I realized the bug in our room was a bed bug I went to guest services and requested that Carnival bring our luggage back on the ship while we were still on the ship so carnival could inspect and treat our luggage, I even offered the carnival manager to let me leave the ship and get our luggage and personaly bring the luggage back onto the ship to be inspected and treated for bed bugs, this request was also denied.

I was told once you leave the ship you cannot return, I then suggested that Carnival send us to a bug proffesional in Tampa to do an inspection and treatment and was told to contact the 800 number for carnival corporate, which I did at that time and was finaly contacted by you this afternoon.

In the meantime, I contacted the Tampa Tribune who sent Peter Bernard to do a story and he contacted Mrs Olivia from carnival for a respnse which resulted in Carnivals response that was disapointing, as they continue to ignore me, there past paying customer!!

It appeaered as though they are ignoring the fact there was a bed bug in the robe and the pictures are ficticious.

They indicated they inspected the room, found no problem and put more guests in the same room.

From what I have been told these bugs come out in the dark and bite people and suck there blood.

Where there is one of these bugs there are more.

Mr. Bernard indicated that carnival has lots of bed bug complaints.

I have pictures of a real fat bug that was in our room, a mark on my scalp that appears to be a bite from a bug, documentation that your porter removed the bug from our room shortly after we woke up on our 6th day on the boat.

Because of my girlfreinds dis-like of toxic chemicals I had to find an Eco freindly low toxic treatment for this problem.

Bill Straub from X-Terminate came to Deserie's home this morning and inspected the bite marks on my scalp, our luggage, vechile, bedroom, all items that I took of of the ship.

Bill then went thru all the contents in my luggage one at a time over a sheet turning clothing inside out searhing for additional bed bugs, eggs or signs of bed bugs.

He then treated the luggage, clothes, and all items taken off of the ship, and the bedroom we slept in last nite.

Bill also sold me product to treat our own clothes, vechiles, bedrooms, luggage and rooms we will stay in durring future trips.

Bill also gave us instructions on how to wash and dry our clothes that may be infested with bed bugs or their eggs that may have not been detected.

I'm now washing and drying all of my clothing at Deserie's home in the hottest water and drying settings her washer and dryer has.

I will take a shower and then put on freshly treated and washed clothes.

I will re pack my luggage, with the rest of my freshly treated and washed clothing, treat my vechile, finaly go to my home, treat my home and bedroom and hope no bed bugs show up in the future.

The cost will be between 750 to 1000 dollars.

Thanks Bill & X-Terminate.

I hope in the future carnival will adress customer concerns when they become aware of them, not to tell customers to call the 800 number.

The current guests in cabin E 230 should hear about my problem and how I brought it to Carnivals Corporate attention and how they ignore the inconvience it causes their customers when they leave their ship with bugs, bug bites and or bug eggs they didn't have when they arrived.

My girlfriend has returned from work, we have inspected and treated her luggage, clothing and vechile and will now start washing.

Your offer of 20% refund on our cruise seems very inadequate for the time, money, and aggravation we have encountered after we left your ship.

Your staff could have handeled this problem while we were still on the boat and refused.

We had to take your problem into our own hands, find Someone to resolve the problem and still may have bugs.

Today I know more about these bugs than I ever wanted to know, I will go home and treat my own home and pray I never see one of these bugs again.

I will continue to cruise and treat my own room before unloading my luggage with the products from X-Terminate.

2. carnival guest

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 13 2010 21:51:45
    #

Login to Send PM

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES BED BUGS CHANNEL 8 STORY:

http://video.tbo.com/m/35206250/bed-bugs-vacation.htm

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 0:08:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Your second post above which was an email response from Carnival Customer Service, and your third post detailing email exchanges between yourself, Carnival, and the reporter, were deleted.

It is not appropriate to post emails written by others without their explicit permission. If you want to get explicit permission, you can cc me on the email (nobugs at bedbugger dot com).

Also, please do not include names and emails of other people on the forums.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 1:29:38
    #

Login to Send PM

After they dragged a Carnival Cruise ship into San Diego the other day, I was listening to the radio. A number of people and kids thought it was a cool "adventure." (They were stuck out 100 miles from shore with no electricity so no toilets, food, A/C and so on. The navy was dropping pop tarts and mayo sandwiches--something like that.)

I wrote corporate and told them they were missing a niche--that they should do Titanic-like Survivor Cruises. Kind of a giant floating haunted house thing. SURVIVE SURVIVE SURVIVE!

BUT, a bed bug cruise? I don't think so!

Many feel hotels are a primary source of hitchhiking bb's. A cruise ship is a floating hotel. So why not?

5. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 1:44:51
    #

Login to Send PM

It appeaered as though they are ignoring the fact there was a bed bug in the robe and the pictures are ficticious.
    -------------
    Are the "pictures" being referred to the video of a bug crawling on a white robe per the news story video?

6. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 2:44:04
    #

Login to Send PM

R56: Whether a file photo or not is not clear and what the bug is isn't clear either. When the OP's calm down maybe they'll come back for help if they need any.

7. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 8:26:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Carnival Guest

Really sorry to hear about your experience.

It sounds like you are taking some good proactive measures to avoid bringing any pests home.

I highly recommend that you obtain some inexpensive bed bug monitors such as the BB Alert Passive & Climb Up Interceptors for early detection of any bed bug problems in your home.

A K9 team can provide a screening for bed bugs, if you desire a higher level of assurance.

In Florida, Vikane gas fumigation is a highly effective option for treatment.

Your luggage could be treated in a chamber or the car could be tented overnight with the luggage inside to kill all stages of bed bugs and eggs.

Vikane gas does not leave any chemical residue on treated items for people that cannot tolerate other insecticide products.

Eco-exempt spray treatments must make direct contact with bugs or eggs to be effective.

8. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 9:03:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Be sure and post this experience on http://www.cruisecritic.com.

9. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 9:17:08
    #

Login to Send PM

It looks like they're already talking about your story on cruisecritic. But I need to warn you, there are some die-hard Carnival fans. They will defend Carnival, no matter what. Some are already accusing you of bringing them onboard. Then you have the idiots who say, "Well I just got off the Inspiration and I didn't see any." People are still very ignorant when it comes to bed bugs. I still believe most people will listen to your story and believe you. Bed bugs have already been reported on the Glory.

I posted on the Puerto Vallarta board of tripadvisor, only to be told by a moderator, "There are no bed bugs in Puerto Vallarta. I know the woman in charge of the health department."

10. carnival guest

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 10:05:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I have still pictures and a video of the bed bug that we found on our robe, and a picture of the bite on my scalp.
    I couldnt beleive carnival put additional customers in that cabin, it will cost me between 750 to 1000 after the next treatment from X-Terminate in two weeks, carnival could have inspected and treated our luggage on their ship or in the terminal and refused, i asked them to send me to a bug person in tampa and they said call the carvival 800 number which we did and didnt get a response untill friday afteernoon, what was i suppose to do?
    my girlfreind had to goto work and she dosnt like toxic chemicals and I dont know a thing about bed bugs, i do now!!!

11. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 14:36:21
    #

Login to Send PM

X-Terminate is a termite pesticide. You have NOT done your research. Do not pay that kind of money for these "treatments". I've read your posts on cruisecritic and you are sounding like an X-Terminate salesman. You shouldn't even be treating without knowing that you brought home bugs from your trip. Read the FAQ's on this board before you continue touting X-Terminate.

12. carnival guest

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 16:37:37
    #

Login to Send PM

X- Terminate was the company we used, the product they used was Avenger, an all natural bed bug treatment.
    My Girlfreind would never use toxic chemicals in her home, car , or clothing.

13. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 17:03:45
    #

Login to Send PM

You want non-toxic? Try steam, food-grade DE, heating or freezing.

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 15 2010 20:43:57
    #

Login to Send PM

carnival guest - 1 day ago  » 
    X- Terminate was the company we used, the product they used was Avenger, an all natural bed bug treatment.

It sounds like you paid someone a lot of money to spray your home with Avenger (aka Nature's Avenger), which the MSDS (PDF) states has the active ingredients castor oil, clove oil and peppermint oil.

It's EPA exempt, which means they do not need to prove its effectiveness. There's no testing data on the site from what I can see: .www.arbico-organics.com/product/bed-bug-killer-rtu-24-oz-spray/organic-insecticides-personal-care

It may be an effective contact killer, but that is often not enough to get rid of bed bugs -- if you actually did bring any home.

15. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 16 2010 8:03:29
    #

Login to Send PM

But even worse, in my opinion, is the fact that the PCO treated with NO evidence that the home/suitcase had any bugs. And they got charged $900 for this castor oil scam.

16. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 16 2010 11:55:18
    #

Login to Send PM

carnival guest - 1 day ago ยป

NB: It sounds like you paid someone a lot of money to spray your home with Avenger (aka Nature's Avenger), which the MSDS (PDF) states has the active ingredients castor oil, clove oil and peppermint oil.
    -----------
    I was thinking the same thing. Also wondering if a professional ID was ever made about the bug apparently captured on video? If not captured, I honestly don't believe an ID could be made by a lay person of a fast moving bug, as most of us have trouble identifying a bed bug when pinned to a piece of tape when looking through a magnifying glass. If indeed it was a bed bug, it's sad the way the cruise line apparently handled things. On the other hand, if it wasn't a bed bug, then I think this story is quite instructive of how one person's suspicions can turn into a national media story of bed bugs invading a major cruise ship line overnight.

Richard

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 16 2010 13:46:55
    #

Login to Send PM

toledo - 5 hours ago  » 
    But even worse, in my opinion, is the fact that the PCO treated with NO evidence that the home/suitcase had any bugs. And they got charged $900 for this castor oil scam.

toledo,

I think Richard, you and I are all more or less on the same page. It's not clear that the bug in the cabin closet was a bed bug (unless there are more detailed pictures we haven't seen), and it is not clear whether bed bugs were taken home.

18. carnival guest

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 15:44:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Just take precautions,
    choose a licensed pest control company to help control breakouts of bedbugs in homes. Efforts by homeowners to treat bedbug infestations rarely succeed, and using the wrong pesticide or using it incorrectly can make you, your family and your pets sick.

Prior to the 1950s, bedbugs were common pests in the United States, but few people know much about them today due to the use of chlorinated pesticides like DDT and lindane, which successfully wiped them out in the past.

However, over the last decade, bed bugs have slowly made a comeback as many of the pesticides of the past can no longer be used. Staying at a hotel, going to the movies, riding in a taxi or spending time in other places where people congregate are now commonplace activities that can spread bedbugs.

Like many states, Florida has recently had an increase in the number of bedbug complaints with people traveling today more than ever, and controlling the pests has proven difficult with pesticides that are available today.

The treatment for bedbugs is a growing cause of concern. They come out at night and are hard to detect. Since they can often remain unnoticed while breeding an even larger population, it can frustrate those having to battle infestations.

Reports of pesticides and other chemicals being misused in the treatment of bedbugs have made headlines in many states across the nation, Due to the difficulty in controlling this pest, the public may resort to the use of pesticides in ways that are not in compliance with their label directions and are frankly unsafe.

As a result, he is urging consumers to choose a licensed pest control company to combat infestations in a home or business.

Application of pesticides or chemicals by untrained or unlicensed individuals is a primary concern because misusing pesticides in a desperate attempt to control infestations can lead to harmful exposures in private homes, public housing, workplaces and institutions such as hospitals, nursing homes and schools.

Avoiding bed bugs and finding them early are important in controlling these pests. The following are a few hints for consumers that are recommended :

Choose a licensed pest control company which has experience, knowledge and knows how to manage bedbugs.
    Effective control of the pests often takes more than one visit.
    Proper fumigation by a pest control company can control bedbugs with a single treatment.
    Consumers should know that bedbugs are not known to carry diseases.
    Adult bedbugs are the size of an apple seed while immature ones are smaller. They can be found in the seams of bedding and sofas, behind headboards, picture frames, dressers, backpacks and many other places.
    Signs of the pest include small brownish-red to purple spotting on infested materials.
    Not all people react to bedbug bites so reacting to a bite is not always the best way to determine whether your home is infested by the pests.
    De-clutter your home to decrease places where bedbugs can hide.
    Use bedbug monitors and traps as an easy, relatively inexpensive way to find bedbug infestations that can help target treatments (http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/homemade-bed-barriers-climbup-interceptors.)
    Inspect items before entering the home with them and take precautions against bringing home bed bugs after traveling.
    Follow pesticide label guidelines for the use of any registered pesticide.

19. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 17:33:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Why are you quoting chapter and verse from the Florida Dept of Agriculture and Consumer Services???

http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/press/2010/11082010.html

20. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 19:04:41
    #

Login to Send PM

> "There are no bed bugs in Puerto Vallarta. I know the woman in charge of the health department."

Priceless!

This might be some wise ass, but there are professionals who are paid to "tweak" a person or business's online reputation. I would fully expect businesses or locations accused of having BB, or worse, being insensitive about it, to fight a PR war.

Or, like snakes in Ireland, it could be absolutely true!

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  21. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 19:59:43
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 35 minutes ago  » 
    Or, like snakes in Ireland, it could be absolutely true!

I can assure you its not that way with bedbugs, they have more than they can handle of those.

I do love watching the globalisation of the Ostrich mentality it spreads faster than the bedbugs themselves.

I have spent a lot of time explaining to various reporters over the last 2 months most of the conversations read like this:

Me: "yes I was aware that NY was getting a lot of coverage over bedbug problems"

Them: "did I think it would get bad in London as a result of people travelling from NY"

Me: "well not really"

Them: "what do you mean by that"

Me "well no less than the number of bedbug cases from most global cities and that was before we took into account the people who pick it up in the London and has not spent time away from home in years"

Them: "what we have a problem in London"

Me: "well as it said on the website you called me in connection with in 7 years we have treated over 17,000 cases .........."

So the harsh reality is that unless you are exploring the outer reaches of the known universe or find a corner of this ball where no-one has been before (I cant only think of second offering of milano's in KQ's house) there is a risk of bedbugs.

The more people that travel to or through X location the greater the probability that someone sooner or later will also arrive with a bedbug. Its no more complex than maths.

I would however not advise anyone to treat the property of another such as a hotel room without the owners consent. You may find yourself liable if the next person into the room had a reaction to the treatment.

it is much more advisable to perfect your inspection skills and check each location thoroughly before you move into the room.

The sad part to all of this is that it could have so easily been resolved in a much more simple way. isolating the bags and clothes until they could have been decontaminated (bags don't need to be chemically treated unless they are fumigated with Vikane) and you could have reduced the any risk of them getting home with you.

I have posted some simple and updated travel precautions about which should make your future travel a lot simpler.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

22. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 20:42:08
    #

Login to Send PM

toledo - 1 week ago  » 

I posted on the Puerto Vallarta board of tripadvisor, only to be told by a moderator, "There are no bed bugs in Puerto Vallarta. I know the woman in charge of the health department."

That really is special.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,506 posts in 49,276 topics over 152 months by 21,596 of 22,019 members. Latest: tlc6225, Laurenke, elco1996