Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Car infested! Please help!! Depressed and hopeless!

(16 posts)
  1. bbsnack

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 13 2012 22:56:43
    #

Login to Send PM

My car is confirmed infested, but the pco will not treat cars!! I had it steam cleaned and put down de. I am thinking of renting a car and leaving mine sitting in the sun for a week or so, but some of the threads on here say that's not effective. Should I just drive it so maybe they will come out to feed and walk over the de? Will leaving it empty for a week make it worse when I drive it again? A rental car for a week would really be more than I can afford but worth it if there's a chance that being in the sun for that long will work. Help!!!

I should mention that I drive my son to school then drive all day long for work, so no chance of it sitting still during the day for even a few hours and also a big risk of me letting my son take bbs to school or me taking them to one of the fifty houses that I visit each month (one of which is the source of infestation, obviously).

I have had reactions when I wake up in the mornings too but had a clear home inspection. Taking precautions in home and hoping these are just delayed reactions from the car. Still so stressed that I can't function and am clearly entering depression. Just bought this house and I feel like my life is about to be ruined before my eyes and I can't do anything about it because it isn't "bad enough yet" (3 old fecal stains on mattress and bites in the morning is not enough for extermination.) Ugh...this is awful and I'm just beginning!!

2. PhillyBugsMe

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 13 2012 23:12:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Vikane the car? If the PCO won't treat the house, maybe a light DE treatment as prevention? I'd call a different PCO, if they are in the car, and you suspect they are in the house, nip it in the bud, you'll save money in the long run.

Maybe an expert can weigh in on this, but, what if you put some Nuvan strips in the car, and let them sit for awhile?

3. bbsnack

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 13 2012 23:36:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I called several pcos with no luck. Columbus, Ohio people please weigh in if you have found someone to treat your car. Nuvan strips in the car sounds a little dangerous, but it is spring and I could drive with windows down after removing them. Renting a car for three weeks will mean borrowing money, but if I have an extermination I will have to take out a loan. Seems inevitable at this point. Could a professional or someone with experience please weigh in before I make this decision?

4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 13 2012 23:41:51
    #

Login to Send PM

How did you confirm bed bugs in the car?

DO NOT USE PESTICIDE IN THE CAR. The only "safe" option if you do in fact have bed bugs in your car is fumigation or extreme cleaning for physical removal.

5. bbsnack

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 13 2012 23:54:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I saw a total of 6 adults and 2 nymphs in the car. Orkin came to my house and identified exoskeletons in the car, but wouldn't inspect any further because they don't do cars. I had it steam cleaned but still found crumbs in the seat belt crevices so obviously it wasn't thorough. Thanks for clearing up the pesticide thing, but I now feel hopeless again. What should I do?!

6. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 13 2012 23:56:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you post pictures of the bugs you found in the car?

7. bbsnack

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 13 2012 23:58:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry but I didn't get pics. I was out driving for my job and just quickly squashed them and threw them out. I was in a severely infested home the day before and got several bites, so I'm 99% sure they were bbs.

8. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 14 2012 0:09:36
    #

Login to Send PM

The 99% sure always scares me. When I hear that, 85% of the time people show me all kinds of things other then bed bugs.

It doesn't sound right to me.... You would have to have bugs crawling all over you to transport that many into a car at one time. I have been doing bed bug treatments for 8 years now, (4 years as a bed bug only company) and have yet to see an infested car. And I have done thousands upon thousands of inspections and treatments.

Are you sure your skin isn't just crawling thinking about where you were and the stress is now playing a major roll in what you think could be bites?

9. bbsnack

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 14 2012 0:18:59
    #

Login to Send PM

You give me a glimmer of hope, but only a glimmer. I was knocking them off of my paperwork and shoes on my way out of that house, and the bites were huge welts on my wrists, ankles, between my fingers and toes, and then three appeared on my neck four days later. Also, I did have the positive identification of the exoskeleton by Orkin. If there's a chance this isn't bbs, it's a slim chance but I'll still be pleased to hear it's a chance. I did have those fecal spots on my mattress but they were apparently too old to know their "age". I don't understand how that happened and I never was bitten before. Please help me to understand all of this!!

I should mention that I left my car in the sun with the heat on and windows up for an hour two days after my first sighting. Could that have helped? Or made things worse? And will not driving it help or hinder?

I am so, so appreciative of your responses!!! Thank you for taking the time to help me!!

10. bbsnack

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 14 2012 0:20:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, and I haven't been in the car this weekend and no bites have appeared since Friday morning.

11. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 14 2012 0:37:16
    #

Login to Send PM

If you're outside of NY I'll talk with you on the phone tomorrow to see if I can help make some sense of all this. If so, you can send me a private message with your number and the best times to call.

12. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 14 2012 17:28:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you tried a monitor trap in the car yet?

As KQ says, having a situation in a car is unusual. Not impossible but not common.

It would be wise to confirm the presence in the car prior to taking any drastic actions.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

13. bbsnack

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 22 2012 19:04:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: After speaking with KillerQueen, I knew I had to exterminate the car. However, my job offered to pay for a steam cleaning as I picked up the bbs in the line of work that I do. I had the car steamed, left it sitting in the hot sun all weekend, and drive it for the first time yesterday. Three dead bbs found yesterday, four live ones found today. This has made things worse!! Calling pco in the am to schedule inevitable extermination (which my job will not pay for because pco will not guarantee their work on a car), and having k9 investigation as soon as I have the money to check the house once again. I might have a nervous breakdown before I have the chance to get any of this done!! Any suggestions for keeping them out of my office an out of the clients' homes that I visit? Thanks for your help so far!

14. bbsnack

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 28 2012 22:08:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Just another update: k-9 confirmed bbs in the car but nothing in the house or second car. Since no exterminators could confidently say that they would rid my car of bbs, I sold it to a scrap yard for $500. Drastic, yes, but I am sleeping well tonight knowing that I am completely bb free now. Tomorrow, I begin worrying about whether or not I took them from the car to my office chair. Forever I will undress in my garage and put clothes, bags, etc in my dryer. I am not sure how much longer I can do my job as a home visitor as I know its just a matter of time before this happens again, and now my husband and I are sharing one car because I can't afford another one. These creatures are ruthless and unrelenting! I am now on a mission to educate coworkers and anyone else who wants to talk about it. I will never completely be over this scare, but maybe I can help others prevent it from happening to them. And for the record, even typing this is making me nervous because it feels too good to be true and I am still looking at my sheets suspiciously. Ugh, when will I not worry about this anymore?!

15. limac

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 21 2012 20:37:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Ahhh! Now I'm creeping out due to your situation, BBsnack! I've found what I think to be bedbugs in my car, but have no evidence in my apt. I've been holding on to a shred of hope that they're something else, but now....you had that happen and I could too. Yuck! I'm hoping to get a pro's id tomorrow.

16. ry877

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 23:02:41
    #

Login to Send PM

You sold your car to a scrap yard? What about those folks who work there? You basically kicked your problem to them

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,004 posts in 49,869 topics over 154 months by 21,823 of 22,291 members. Latest: Lzrdeyes, bnorth, Nl9045