Car fumigation California

(5 posts)
  1. kateydid

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Sep 15 2008 18:47:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, everyone. I'm new to this problem, landlord is working on apartment issues. But I'm worried my car has been infested before I realized I had this problem. I've been calling exterminators all afternoon trying to find someone to tent and vikane-gas my car. To no avail, I've even been laughed at or told to just park it in the sun.

I don't want to be fighting this battle in my home and then every time I use my car, worry I'm re-infesting my belongings/clothes/home. Please help!

Does anyone have any leads getting their car fumigated in the San Francisco Bay Area? Or anywhere in Northern California? I've read other posts on here that people have had this done, but not near me.

Thanks.

2. reepicheep

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Sep 15 2008 20:32:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Kateydid, I can list some resources in the Sacramento area, though they are primarily in the business of fumigating buildings. There are three fumigators in the Sacramento area: Valley Fumigation, Your Way (based in L.A.), Nor-Cal Pest Control. We are currently getting bids for having a relative's home fumigated, and have learned that for homes, you have to have a document from an exterminator that says the home has bedbugs. Then usually the exterminator subcontracts the job to one of the three fumigators. Maybe you could go directly to a fumigator with your car. You are fortunate to live in a state where fumigation is easily accessible and much less expensive than where I live in the midwest. I just had our van fumigated for $750 in Indianapolis, but I be in CA it's a lot cheaper. I found the people at Valley Fumigation to be particularly helpful and friendly, though we aren't necessarily going to contract with them. Hope that helps.

3. BakedBedBugs

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Sep 15 2008 22:30:18
    #

Login to Send PM

If you contact Thermapure they can refer you to someone who may do a thermal treatment in your area.

Best of luck!
    Tony

4. kateydid

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Sep 16 2008 8:50:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Keep 'em coming!!

5. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Sep 16 2008 9:13:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's the thing. What I'm about to say may not work with every car, and I'm not sure how it would work in most places, but in California, it's a lot easier to get access to geography that allows for this. Depending on exactly which Bay Area microclimate you live in (I've spent many an overly toasty summer weekend in, say, Gilroy or San Jose--often hotter there than where I live in So Cal), parking in the sun might work. I live in So Cal, so my northern California geography is limited, which means I can't suggest a particular location the way I could down here. However, I was just out in the desert here (near Joshua Tree), and on a "cool" day, the high temp hit 107. Parking your car directly in the sun in those temps should raise the temp inside the car to 140 degrees no problem. (I measured the temp in my car at the beaches on an 85 degree day, and the interior temp hit 140 very quickly.)

My car is a dark paint color, but in the desert? I think most cars would hit 140 very quickly.

The other thing to consider: can you have your PCO give your car a look? I actually had my PCO inspect the car when I got too worried about it, and the PCO found nothing. That finding was confirmed for me in not finding any bites after I'd been in the car.

If Baked Bed Bugs says that Thermapure can treat the car, that's also a really good option. Given how hot cars get in the sun, I wouldn't be worried about any damage from thermal treatment, since temps already hit that in cars regularly.

Let us know how things work out.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,940 posts in 49,855 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19