Capturing BBs alive

(28 posts)
  1. badlybugged

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jan 13 2008 15:24:37
    #

Login to Send PM

If you have capture bbs could you please give suggestions or tell the method used to catch them alive? I would really like the opportunity to do some "around the house" experiments to learn new data -- if I can get past being "creeped-out"!!

I have never seen a live adult (or any stage instar) bedbug

2. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jan 13 2008 15:39:47
    #

Login to Send PM

The best way to capture is a device called a pooter.

If you have a strong or allergic type reaction to bed bug bites DO NOT TRY THIS. I have knownn of people developing specific health issues and hypersensitivity through the prolonged use of them. The other side effect can be the occassional mouthful of bed bugs which is to say the least highly unpleasent to deal with.

http://www.show.me.uk/site/make/Natural-World/ACT59.html

A fine mesh on the return path is key to avoiding mouthfuls of flotsum and jetsum.

You can simply use tweezers and a sealed jar but you do risk damaging them in the process.

Good luck hunting.

David

3. badlybugged

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jan 13 2008 16:05:07
    #

Login to Send PM

OMG . . . AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH!! although I suspect that I may have already been bitten inside my mouth . . . I've been known to snore a time or two sleeping on my back with my mouth hanging open . . .

I don't think I have the stomach for this but thanks for the suggestion. I guess (all creepiness aside) its probably the gentlest way of proceeding . . . aaaagggghhhhh!!!

4. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jan 13 2008 23:00:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Badlybugged, I have caught a few using a pill vial,it wasn't easy but I did get them alive and kicking.After collection I used tape to seal the vial, so they couldn't climb out through the top. I couldn't use that vacuum jar,just too gross! Those were the first 2-3 I caught , after that I just used tape. I like seeing them on their backs kicking their little legs,screaming. It's like therapy of a sort. I stayed up all night to get my prisoners,if you have them,that's the time to catch them. Good luck hunting.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 14 2008 8:51:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Artists paint brushes can also be good for those who want to capture something and not do it damage in the process.

Interesting to see that pootering bed bugs may actually be classified as nastier than living with them. I think my record was about 1,000 in one week when an academic lab we work with had an accident and cooked all the research samples.

I did also forgot to say DO NOT POOTER if you have applied insecticide or DE to the area. In particular DE which can do a significant amount of damage to your lungs if sucked into them.

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  6. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 14 2008 9:38:01
    #

Login to Send PM

When my infestation was heavier, I found that when I went away for a week or two, when I came back my bedbugs had really seemed to have "missed me" and if I came home in the morning, several eagerly came out in broad daylight to bite me. I didn't want to catch them, but they were taking more risks that would have made it easier for me to catch them had I wanted. It's hard to catch them if you don't see them. PS: I believe I was bitten on my gum once (I am a mouth breather when I sleep) and I know I was bitten inside my ear. That was one of the itchiest places for a bite ever.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 14 2008 10:58:39
    #

Login to Send PM

This is one of the most interesting threads we've had in a while. Thanks, David, I learned a new verb today.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 14 2008 12:27:33
    #

Login to Send PM

No worries, always happy to share the more grim side of what we do.

In fact I was doing some of the boring admin this morning and was chatting to a all center person at our water company. I ended the call with the usual response to the "is there anything else we can do for you today comment with" well we might be able to help you, check our web site and make sure you never need us comment. She immediately replied its OK I know all about them, I was watching a TV show about them, it was gross the man even fed one live on the show.

30 seconds later it dawned on her who she was actually talking so and that gross man was paying the water bill.

Who says bed bugs are all doom and gloom.

David

9. bugobsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 14 2008 12:33:44
    #

Login to Send PM

My landlord caught some using glue traps in strategic places. I caught ones I saw by coaxing them into a zip lock with a pair of tweezers. The littlest ones are fragile, so you can really grab them with the tweezers without crushing them. Big ones can be grabbed, but coaxing freaks me out less. I haven't caught one since Christmas. I hope the trend continues!

10. badlybugged

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 14 2008 13:58:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I thinK Shakespeare must have had bbs, too . . .

To POOTER, or not to POOTER: that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The BITES and BLISTERS of outrageous fortune,
    Or to take arms against a sea of BEDBUGS,
    And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
    No more; and by a sleep to say we end
    The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
    That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
    Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
    To sleep:
    FROM: William Shakespeare - To be, or not to be (from Hamlet 3/1)

11. bugobsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 14 2008 14:33:33
    #

Login to Send PM

This may be a little off color, but...

I used to live in SC. Poot was a verb there too. It meant "to pass gas". Used in a sentence it went something like this: I find my nose wrinkling in response to the pooter in the same way as if someone had pooted.

12. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 14 2008 17:17:22
    #

Login to Send PM

We have a pooter (new term for me too) here at the Florida K9 Academy. We mostly use it to collect termites, but the design we use incorporates an inline air filter on the suction tube to screen out any debris or specimens.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 14 2008 20:08:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Doug, do they go by the same name in Florida?

14. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jan 15 2008 3:59:38
    #

Login to Send PM

We called it an aspirator used for collecting insects.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jan 15 2008 14:32:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Doug.

16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jan 16 2008 12:15:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Not used my pooter in a few months but had a nasty infestation today and wanted fresh samples for a new study I am working on.

The lounge was an 8 out of 10 infestation (pictures will be posted soon) and an ideal opportunity to collect. They but the sound mic on me, started the film and as I took that first deep breath in to collect samples I did not realise that they walked up the pipes and into the mouth part.

Yes 15 lovely bed bugs running through my mouth and some priceless footage of my spitting them back out. I don't think it will make "youtube" but I thought I would share.

Happu hunting and don't forget to make sure the mouth tube is clear before you start.

David

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jan 16 2008 12:27:03
    #

Login to Send PM

David, I think you just eliminated all interest in the pooter method. If an experienced professional ends up with a mouth full of bed bugs, what chance do beginners have?

18. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jan 16 2008 12:52:15
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL I think I was focused more on making sure the camera got my good angle.

I don't use the pooter daily but it does feature a lot in the TV work I do as its so visual and helps people to understand that they are not invisible creatures of the night.

I will make sure I have time to do a pooter SOP (standard operating procedure) in future.

David

PS I now have enough BB's to not only start a full circus troop but I am considering sending some on tour, well if its good enough for cirque du solei and the Moscow state its good enough for my little mahogany mean machines.

19. badlybugged

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jan 17 2008 22:03:16
    #

Login to Send PM

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH--spit, sputter, pist, pisssttt, yuck, scrape the tongue, wrinkle my face in abject horror at the thought . . . to die, to sleep OMG!!!!

'tis a consummation
    Devoutly to be AVOID'd.
    To die, to sleep;
    To sleep:

20. bedbugsenigma

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 8 2008 21:17:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Can't do the potter, that's for sure.. So how do you get a live bug staying up all night?? You lie on top of the bed as opposed to inside it and wait, watching all around you? With the light on? Can someone give me some details here?? What if it's very cold and I can't leave out much exposed skin or I'd freeze??

21. BugsinVA

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 8 2008 21:52:09
    #

Login to Send PM

i caught the little buggers by using a q-tip. this seemed to work great and then i put them in a zip-lock bag. i did this to show the exterminator what the bugs looked like when i first found them.

22. bedbugsenigma

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 8 2008 22:19:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you misunderstood me, BugsinVa. My question is not how you practically seize the bug and bag it, but how you even get to see one when you don't have many obviously but get bitten. Bugbasher wrote he stayed up all night but I wonder how he waited. Hope it's clearer now.

23. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Feb 9 2008 22:39:53
    #

Login to Send PM

24. bedbugsenigma

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Feb 9 2008 23:38:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks 'nomo. I did read that. My problem, as that of many others I gather, is that I have a low-level population. I had 4 chemical treatments, the last one about a month ago by a company that I don't want in my house again since they messed up and made my situation worse. I think they're now spread in my apt. bc of all those treatments. I should breath deeply and wait for my K-9 dog visit on Tuesday. I am getting between 0-4 or more new bites x day. Maybe it's not so low-level but I think they hide really well in the many cracks of my very old hardwood floors. Hopefully the dog won't find many spots...

25. Bugless

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Feb 10 2008 17:16:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugbasher says, "I stayed up all night to get my prisoners ...."

According to several reports I've seen, bedbugs mostly come out well into the night. So to get some sleep, set your alarm for 3 a.m., then start watching and waiting.

If anyone has trouble getting to sleep because of concern about bedbugs, they could take a prescription sleeping pill. These pills are mostly very expensive, $3 or more per pill. However, there is a major chain drugstore in the US that sells the generic version of a very well-known sleeping pill for 48 cents per pill. They will send them by mail. You will have to send them a doctor's prescription first. PM me if you want to know more.

26. IveBeenBugged

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Feb 10 2008 18:52:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Somehow I missed this post 3 weeks ago. The pooter I found interesting but I have lost most of my interest after reading about the 15 bugs in the mouth.

Out of all the people on this website I can't be the only one who when I have seen a bug just walked over and quickly picked it up with my hand (or in phlebotoma's case let it crawl on my hand) and put it in a ziploc. What's the worst that could happen they already were biting me at night. Still wish I would have fed phlebotoma & little drac now I have no one to play with.

If your staying up or waking up at 3 am to look for them use a red led light. They won't run from it like some do from brighter light.

Bugless won't any pharmacy have the generic sleeping pill you speak of? I can't imagine a pharmacy having a patent on a generic pill.

bbenigma that doesn't sound like a low level infesation with that many bites in a day every day. I don't remember getting bitten that much every day. I was bitten quit a bit but it was every few days not every day.

27. IveBeenBugged

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Feb 10 2008 18:56:31
    #

Login to Send PM

PS - I forgot to add if you really want to see them take a short trip away from your place. I had a similar thing to parakeets when I came back after being gone. They were quite happy and hungry to see smell & feel the heat from me. They even came out in broad daylight to try to get a meal.

28. bedbugsenigma

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Feb 10 2008 20:12:33
    #

Login to Send PM

OMG! Of course this is not a low-level infestation any more! Thanks to the great PCOs I hired and f...ed up! My apt gets really cold at night so I will have to stay on the bed well covered. I have 2 more nights before the dog's visit and I am sick so maybe I will just wait at this point. But thanks for the advise.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,727 posts in 50,022 topics over 155 months by 21,871 of 22,354 members. Latest: mrdinosaur, BedBugNinja, citycpap