Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Can't tell if I'm being bitten or going crazy

(9 posts)
  1. boredomjunkie

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Sun Apr 7 2019 16:10:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been battling what I'm certain are bed bugs since last November. I vacuumed, sprayed down my bedroom with Hot Shot, and sprinkled DE on the bed frame, headboard, outlets, and everywhere else. I developed a nightly ritual of putting on a body oil I made out of essential oils I researched can be used as bed bug repellents and spraying my sheets, blanket, and pillows with a bed bug repellent I mix together (water, rubbing alcohol, and essential oils). I went all of February and most of March without any bites, which is the longest I've gone itch-free.

I've heard each person is different when it comes to bite symptoms. For me, the bites itch and burn like hives, and they linger for weeks. Also, most bites start off itching and then burn when I scratched them, but if they bite my face, it starts off hurting. One of the few times I saw a bed bug was because it bit my forehead while I was laying down. I felt a sharp pinch on my forehead, turned on my phone's flashlight, and saw a bug on my pillow. I bring this up to say that I know how my body reacts to bed bugs pretty well.

What's been freaking me out over the past 2 weeks or so, is I've gotten bumps that felts like bites, but they don't itch as much as before and they disappear by morning. I get them when I'm laying on my bed working my laptop or phone. I haven't woken up with bites on me like I used to. I can't tell if they're actually bites or not.

Is it possible for bed bug bite symptoms to change if you haven't been bitten in a while? Or is it possible the bites aren't as intense because of the oil I've been using?

In case the bed bugs are back, I've ordered some Cimexa off Amazon. I was about to buy a steamer, too, but I decided to come here before I spend $40-$50.

2. SalsaVince

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Apr 8 2019 8:44:11
    #

Login to Send PM

If you went almost 2 months without bites or sightings, it sounds like you wiped them out. I've heard that the same person can have different reactions to bites depending on various factors including temperature, stress, and activity. But as you've probably heard on here before, the best way to judge if you have bed bugs again is by monitoring with passive monitors and doing a weekly inspection on clean sheets to see if there's new activity. That might put your mind more at ease. At this point, if you bought a steamer, where would you steam? You're not sure if you have them and if so, where they are. An application of Cimexa couldn't hurt if you did some of the mattress seams and bed joints, I suppose. If you do use it, don't "sprinkle it" on like you said you did with the DE. You need to apply it very lightly so it's almost invisible. If you can easily see it, so can the bugs and they will avoid it. They don't like to step on unstable ground like a pile of dust. Also, keep in mind that trying to prevent bites with oils and similar stuff is never full proof. They will find a spot to feed and the opportunity to do so eventually when they get hungry and desperate enough. And it might be a highly visible spot they normally wouldn't be as interested in, like your forehead. I hope you don't have them though and that your skin reactions are unrelated.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Apr 8 2019 9:28:26
    #

Login to Send PM

You didn't mention finding any samples, live or dead, or any cast skins or fecal deposits. After that amount of time and your ritual of work something should have been seen at some point.

4. boredomjunkie

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Apr 9 2019 2:15:38
    #

Login to Send PM

SalsaVince - 16 hours ago  » 
    If you went almost 2 months without bites or sightings, it sounds like you wiped them out. I've heard that the same person can have different reactions to bites depending on various factors including temperature, stress, and activity. But as you've probably heard on here before, the best way to judge if you have bed bugs again is by monitoring with passive monitors and doing a weekly inspection on clean sheets to see if there's new activity. That might put your mind more at ease. At this point, if you bought a steamer, where would you steam? You're not sure if you have them and if so, where they are. An application of Cimexa couldn't hurt if you did some of the mattress seams and bed joints, I suppose. If you do use it, don't "sprinkle it" on like you said you did with the DE. You need to apply it very lightly so it's almost invisible. If you can easily see it, so can the bugs and they will avoid it. They don't like to step on unstable ground like a pile of dust. Also, keep in mind that trying to prevent bites with oils and similar stuff is never full proof. They will find a spot to feed and the opportunity to do so eventually when they get hungry and desperate enough. And it might be a highly visible spot they normally wouldn't be as interested in, like your forehead. I hope you don't have them though and that your skin reactions are unrelated.

The tip about Cimexa will help a lot. I noticed the last couple of times I was bitten, they were on nights where part of my bed sheets were touching the floor. I thought they might be climbing up the sheets to avoid areas where I sprinkled DE, and it sounds like I was right. So, I'll definitely keep that in mind when I'm using Cimexa. I ordered a powder duster, too. So, that should make it easier to apply.

I figured oils weren't going to completely keep them away, but I decided I'll make the process of getting a meal as miserable as I possibly can. They can climb through the DE, crawl along the lavender scented mattress, and drink blood with a nice aftertaste of tea tree oil. Their lives will be short and terrible.

BigDummy - 13 hours ago  » 
    You didn't mention finding any samples, live or dead, or any cast skins or fecal deposits. After that amount of time and your ritual of work something should have been seen at some point.

I thought I saw one crawling along my bed but couldn't find anything after I turned on the lights. That along with the itchy bumps were enough to scare me into thinking they might be back. The last few bites I got were on nights where my part of my sheets were touching the floor. So, I can't help thinking they're still in my room somewhere, but they haven't found a good way to get to me.

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Apr 9 2019 7:37:26
    #

Login to Send PM

They're insects, not ninjas. I think it might be time to look for other causes if you've come up with not a single sign in all this time.

6. boredomjunkie

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Apr 12 2019 18:50:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Just an update. I put out the Cimexa and decided to try not spraying my bed with rubber alcohol. I woke up around 7:45 am with 3 or 4 random itchy bumps. I also noticed my blanket was touching the floor. I went to go sleep on the couch, and all the bumps were gone when I woke up again a few hours later. If I really got rid of the bed bugs, then I have no idea what's going on.

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Apr 12 2019 20:33:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Could be many things, even stress.

8. boredomjunkie

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Apr 13 2019 14:17:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Last night, I was laying down and felt a slight tickle on my side. When I touched it, I noticed another bump had formed. I turned on my lights and examined but couldn't find anything. And it was gone when I woke up this morning.

I'll look into other causes, but I'm not sure what else it could be. Any google search related to getting itchy bumps while in bed or sleeping turn to bed bugs.

9. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Apr 15 2019 8:04:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Google is a popularity contest, not an encyclopedia.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,228 posts in 50,143 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,416 members. Latest: Bery10, plsnopls, Ldrago